Author Topic: [Portfolio] More Old Stuff - Street  (Read 31620 times)

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
Re: More Old Stuff - Street
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2015, 15:58:24 »

Hasselblad 500 C/M w/ Zeiss 80mm, Tri-X

Ah ! A "Hassy", lucky guy ! I could only get a Bronica SQ, still quite decent but without the zeiss lenses ! I did mostly transparencies with it... Those must be somewhere in a box :-)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2015, 16:03:36 »
Ah ! A "Hassy", lucky guy ! I could only get a Bronica SQ, still quite decent but without the zeiss lenses ! I did mostly transparencies with it... Those must be somewhere in a box :-)

:) ... find that box! (Look in the garage ... that's where I found my box.)

I like the smaller footprint of the 500 C/M.  Recently I acquired a Fuji GX 680III. It is a monster. I need to make time to shoot it. But, there is nothing quite like shooting a miniature format camera on the Street.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2015, 16:20:53 »
Gary - you dont know what you missed! My dad laughed for a week when I got home with one :)
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2015, 16:23:09 »
:) ... find that box! (Look in the garage ... that's where I found my box.)

I like the smaller footprint of the 500 C/M.  Recently I acquired a Fuji GX 680III. It is a monster. I need to make time to shoot it. But, there is nothing quite like shoot a miniature format camera on the Street.

Maybe I can find the box but then I would have to find a scanner for them, or shoot them with the D3x ?

Yikes, it does look like a monster... :-) But then in those times I wanted a RB 6x7 Mamiya so I can understand the desire waiting to be fulfilled since youth :-)
That's what I discovered with the Bronica... People had a completely different attitude toward such cameras ! I explained it by the low waist viewfinder, meaning that people would see your eyes, vs the SLR blocking half of the face.
I found it also a great learning tool for composition, as you look at a subject with your eyes, then decide of a composition (square), then proceed to frame it, versus the SLR where you tend to move a frame over a subject till you think you have a proper composition...!
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2015, 17:06:47 »
Gary - you dont know what you missed! My dad laughed for a week when I got home with one :)

LOL!  I was a jock way back when afros were really cool ... hard to stuff all that hair under a cap or into a helmet.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2015, 17:18:44 »
Maybe I can find the box but then I would have to find a scanner for them, or shoot them with the D3x ?

Yikes, it does look like a monster... :-) But then in those times I wanted a RB 6x7 Mamiya so I can understand the desire waiting to be fulfilled since youth :-)
That's what I discovered with the Bronica... People had a completely different attitude toward such cameras ! I explained it by the low waist viewfinder, meaning that people would see your eyes, vs the SLR blocking half of the face.
I found it also a great learning tool for composition, as you look at a subject with your eyes, then decide of a composition (square), then proceed to frame it, versus the SLR where you tend to move a frame over a subject till you think you have a proper composition...!

I shoot quite differently. I try to shoot thusly ... Before I use the viewfinder, I see the final image in my cream-cheese little brain, then I adjust my position and the camera (settings and focal length) to reflect what I imagined. I use the viewfinder to fine tune the framing of the image.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2015, 17:26:35 »
I shoot quite differently. I try to shoot thusly ... Before I use the viewfinder, I see the final image in my cream-cheese little brain, then I adjust my position and the camera (settings and focal length) to reflect what I imagined. I use the viewfinder to fine tune the framing of the image.

I agree, but of course as a guy from the "South" I've exaggerated the processes :-) But the exercice of using a waist finder  (not to speak of inverted directions) is still a great schooling in street shooting :-)

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2015, 18:12:27 »
I agree, but of course as a guy from the "South" I've exaggerated the processes :-) But the exercice of using a waist finder  (not to speak of inverted directions) is still a great schooling in street shooting :-)

Yes .. and to reinforce that training, tie one hand up and behind your back.  ;)

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2015, 18:17:36 »
Yes .. and to reinforce that training, tie one hand up and behind your back.  ;)

Aw.. You advance the film with your teeth ? ;-)

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2015, 15:46:41 »

Nikon F w/ Nikkor 28mm, Tri-X

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2015, 15:52:04 »
That's a big mouth :)
Jørgen Ramskov

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2015, 23:39:43 »
The territorial car ...
Bruno Schröder

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2015, 00:08:11 »
Aw.. You advance the film with your teeth ? ;-)

Motor?? I lost my opposing thumb long ago after being introduced to motor drives.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2015, 00:10:08 »
That's a big mouth :)

Half the annual output of chromium from Rhodesia went into that bumper. I think a face on a car is essential in any car design (sorta like the eyes on Greek boats).

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #59 on: September 16, 2015, 00:11:05 »
The territorial car ...

LOL ... don't make a move for its petro.