Author Topic: [Portfolio] More Old Stuff - Street  (Read 31398 times)

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
[Portfolio] More Old Stuff - Street
« on: September 09, 2015, 02:12:12 »
These photos were in the same box as the other 'Old Stuff". Same rules as last time, one photo a day and presented in the random order, identical to my gallery. All the images are circa mid 1970-ish. All the photos were shot on Broadway Street, Los Angeles. Every now and then, when things were slow at the paper, I'd stroll down Broadway Steet and take a few snaps.

G

Nikon F, w/ Nikkor 20mm, Tri-X
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
Re: More Old Stuff - Street
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 02:31:51 »
I have not been on the forum for a while to see the others you posted, but I really like this one. The expression and the kid in the car.

Ashlandish

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 02:36:52 »
Greatly enjoyed the last thread. Looking forward to this one.
Tim Becraft

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 09:48:31 »
I can hardly wait to see the girls that ended up in this box :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 10:09:07 »
Aaah ! A revival of "Old Stuff"... :-) Incredible light play (or extra good printing) ! With a 20mm you must have been just next to the arm of the guy ? I always marvel at those able to manage with such wide angles (I do own a 20mm AF-D) without excessive distortion and keeping the subject in focus (not the lens focus) !!!
Great one for a stroll on the avenue :-)
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 14:49:14 »
all roght ! nice to see additional old stuff
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 15:03:30 »
Great, more old Stuff.  ;)   Brilliant shot by the way.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 15:41:59 »
Thank You all.

Even back in the '70's, this was an old car. I just noticed the cigarette. Cigarettes were considered bad for you back then, but today, at least in California, smoking is nearly considered a crime.

@ RobOK, I'm an old fart. A while back I stumbled upon a box of prints in the garage that was from the 1970's. I've been posting them in NG.

@ Ashlandish, I hope you're not disappointed.

@Jakov, lol ... sorry no g/f's in this gallery. I did tell Patrice that you like her.

@ Jacques, Thanks. As a news guy, I have a pretty thick skin and sticking a lens in someone's face doesn't intimidate me. But I won't shoot paparazzi style, leaving a trail of pissed off people behind me. Wellll ... let's make that I don't shoot paparazzi style very often. I have a sixth sense, a Street sense ... my gut told me this guy was all right ... and he was. After the shot he gave me a quick smile and I, in return nodded.

@ Armando,   :)

@ John, Thank you. This snap pleased me.

G
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 15:43:55 »

18th Street Peewees

Nikon FTn w/ Nikkor 50mm, Tri-X

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 16:12:14 »
L.A. Gangs ?
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 16:20:46 »
L.A. Gangs ?
Yes. I had to argue some, in order to rile them up and show off for the camera.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 16:24:51 »
I like - a lot
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 16:25:14 »
I see, they seem a bit more civilized then what we see nowadays on TV here in Europe (guns and such) !

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 16:27:51 »
I like - a lot

Thank you Elsa. I could see you shooting similar stuff.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 17:03:48 »
I see, they seem a bit more civilized then what we see nowadays on TV here in Europe (guns and such) !

Movies = 120 minutes of hyperbole.

I do remember shooting a gang story. The LAPD had a new tactic for gang intervention. The police thought it would be better for gangs to confront each other in a sporting contest than on the streets in a firefight. The police arranged a football game between two rival gangs. (As American football is extremely violent, I didn't think choosing this sport was a wise choice.) As I waited at the school where the match was to be held, parked on the basketball court adjacent to the football field, I see two separate caravans of highly polished older cars, circling the school. After the caravans had circumnavigated the school, they all drove onto the basketball courts and the rival gangs piled out for the game. I met my gang contact and introduced myself. It was a hot summer day but he was wearing a knit cap on top of his bald head. I didn't think much of the bald head and knit cap as Jose was a gang member and both were de rigueur for gangs. But his responses were slow, slurred and distant. Soon another gang member started speaking with me. He was surprisingly articulate and everything started going as planned. Later, the articulate gang member explained to me that Jose, in the knit cap, wasn't doing so well today. Last night a knife was thrust two inches into his head. Jose couldn't get medical treatment because the hospital was located in another gang's territory. Consequently, all they could do was remove the blade and slap a bandage on top.