Author Topic: Do You Prefer Rendering Of "Vintage" Nikon Cameras To "Modern" Nikon Cameras?  (Read 5830 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Not in my experience. Other members may chip in with their own stories.
No,not in my experience too.  The sensor outcome of the D1x reminds me more of the Fuji S3 and Fuji S5

Posted in earlier in  March 2024

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Another D1X example
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2024, 08:32:08 »
Winter is on repeat -- again.

A spot of morning RGB with the CV 58/1.4 SL.2 on my D1X.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
No,not in my experience too.  The sensor outcome of the D1x reminds me more of the Fuji S3 and Fuji S5

I just bought a D100 (original box, etc) on a whim - but it was only ¥6000, so I’ll probably flog it once it arrives.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
Try the camera first -- you might happen to like it :)

Other people's responses are not more important than your own.

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
Does the D100 share the image charms of the D1X?

I never owned the D100, but do own three copies of the D200.   Both the D200 and D1x of course use CCD sensors.   Although the D200 has higher resolution, I find that I prefer the rendering of my D1x.

I owned a D300 with CMOS sensor for many years, frankly, I never cared for it's colors or sharpness.   I would not trade my D1X for 4 mint D300 bodies.

Yesterday I took the below photo using my D1X and an adapted Leica 180/2.8 R lens.   I don't like the color of the blue in the sky.  This Leica lens renders skys far too cyan.  I much prefer the way my Nikkor 105/2 DC lens renders blue skys.   So, I think that what lens you put on your D1X also impacts the overall color of images that it makes.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
Appears to be mint!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
Just charge the battery and fire away !!! A nice find.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
Lest people should think all evolution is perfect and old stuff is just crap, have a look at this comparison..... I shot with the AFS 300mm f/4 PF-E on D1X and Zf. As this lens operates only at f/4 on the D1X, I used it wide open on both cameras. ISO 400. AF is very snappy on both cameras, the caveat being for the D1X, one should use AF-ON only otherwise the cameras starts to mull over the current geopolitic situation or whatever occupies its mindset.

I haven't labelled the crops which is 100% for the Zf. No sharpening., NEFs run straight through Photo Ninja. Make your own decision what is the "better" one.

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
D100 was my first DSLR bought in 2004 until I got a D300 in 2009. It taught me about lighting as I could follow the EXIF since I was lax in recording aperture and shutter speed in film.
Colours were nice, rear screen so small I never used it and it did not meter with AI lenses. The 6mp CCD gave a nice colour rendition.

Here are some straight from camera converted in Capture NX2 from a trip to HKG in 2004. Like most of my shots even today, I seem to tilt slightly to the right

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Lest people should think all evolution is perfect and old stuff is just crap, have a look at this comparison..... I shot with the AFS 300mm f/4 PF-E on D1X and Zf. As this lens operates only at f/4 on the D1X, I used it wide open on both cameras. ISO 400. AF is very snappy on both cameras, the caveat being for the D1X, one should use AF-ON only otherwise the cameras starts to mull over the current geopolitic situation or whatever occupies its mindset.

I haven't labelled the crops which is 100% for the Zf. No sharpening., NEFs run straight through Photo Ninja. Make your own decision what is the "better" one.
I can't tell.  ;)

Kerria Japonica

D1x  AF Micro Nikkor  55/2.8

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
Oh well. Tried a new 4tb CF card. Formatted in camera, but got the dreaded CHA error message. Tried a known to be working card from another camera, formatted in camera, and got CHA again. Cards do not have a lock switch, so that’s not the issue.

Examining the pins in the camera they look fine, and not bent.

Oh dear. Looks like it’s going back to the dodgy seller :(

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear

The 2nd image (right image) has the most details and better contrast so I would say that it is the Zf. But this image also have a bit of red color cast in the snow?
The 1st image (left image) has "whiter" snow.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
I didn't change the colour balance which for both cameras were "Auto W/b". Not sure why there was a slight reddish cast for the Zf, unless it picked up reflections of indoors lights in the window?

The D1X is left panel and Zf is right panel, so your assumption is correct,

As to the similary in details, which at first seemed a bit unexpected: both cameras have in fact an identical pixel pitch on the major axis approx. 168 pix/mm. The difference is for the minor axis where D1X is only 44% of the Zf in terms of pixel pitch, thus clearly inferior as far as maximum resolution is concerned. However, for nature scenes, this might not be as limiting as one would think since Nature rarely displays a fine-gridded pattern.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
Oh well. Tried a new 4tb CF card. Formatted in camera, but got the dreaded CHA error message. Tried a known to be working card from another camera, formatted in camera, and got CHA again. Cards do not have a lock switch, so that’s not the issue.

Examining the pins in the camera they look fine, and not bent.

Oh dear. Looks like it’s going back to the dodgy seller :(

Why not try a smaller card, say 1 or 2GB? 4GB may well be outside what the camera's built-in file system (likely FAT16?) can handle.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
Trying a 4gb card, which works in another camera, but the issue remains. ‘This card cannot be used’.

Don’t have a smaller card …

—-

Apparently without the v2 firmware the D100 will only recognize up to 2GB cards, but I cannot find a way to check the current firmware :-(