Author Topic: Do You Prefer Rendering Of "Vintage" Nikon Cameras To "Modern" Nikon Cameras?  (Read 5589 times)

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
Streetgarden
D1x with the Nikkor AF-D 50/1.4

Lovely example of the richness of yellows, greens and blues out of a CCD sensor.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Thanks Bruce.

I like the output of the Nikon D1x. Great sensor.

Same scene, same lens,  but now in the early morning sun

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
I used the D700, D800, Df, Z6ii and now I'm using the Zf.
In parallel, I have used the Olympus OM-D E-M5 and -M1.

In the whole set:

• the Olys had a nice rendering, but somewhat "chemical": they looked heavily processed. Not surprizing, given the smaller format.
  • of the Nikons, only D800 was disappointing (bad color) but it remains a fine BW camera, esp. for studio portraits. Df was maybe the best, and better than the D700. Zf is very good and, despite having the same sensor, better than the Z6ii. All subjective statements, not resulting from side-by-side comparison.
Airy Magnien

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
The Nikon D1 was binning D1X was half binning  :o 8)

http://www.sassmannshausen.eu/2016/02/05/d1x-15th-anniversary/

See 10 MP ;)
Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
This is a photomicrograph of the D1 sensor at 20X magnification. The subpixel structure (for the 10MPix sensor) is clearly visible. By binning 4 subpixels Nikon arrived at the original 2.7MPix sensor for the D1.

(photo taken in 2003, just saying....)

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
Thanks to everyone for your input.  I've learned so much from you.  This is a great website, with very giving members.

I'm having so much fun with my D1x, that I purchased 3 more (average price $50 USD). 

Yesterday I tested the following old Nikkor lenses on them: 105mm f/2.5;  135mm f/2.8 ; and 200mm f/4.   While I know it's unfair to compare such a wide variety of focals to each other; I none-the-less found that I preferred the rendering of the non-Ai 135mm f/2.8 best (see attached photo).  What other older Nikkors have you found that pair nicely with the D1X?

Next I'll like try a bunch of Zeiss Milvus lenses on the D1x to see which of them I prefer.   Specifically, it will be interesting to see how the Zeiss Milvus 135/2 compares to the humble Nikkor non-Ai 135/2.8.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
I will try more lenses but my experiences with the AF's 50/1.4 and 50/1.8  are very good.

This is with the AF 50/1.8 at 2.8

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
IBrowsing my archives,  was surprised to find this photo actually was taken with the D1X (and AFS 200/2). The autumn colours of the riparian vegetation are gorgeous.

(the archive  file wasn't optimised for web viewing thus I replaced it with a more appropriate version)

timh

• NG Supporter
  • uMhlanga, South Africa
IBrowsing my archives,  was surprised to find this photo actually was taken with the D1X (and AFS 200/2). The autumn colours of the riparian vegetation are gorgeous.

(the archive  file wasn't optimised for web viewing thus I replaced it with a more appropriate version)

The colours are indeed splendid!
Timothy Hodgkinson

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers

Beautiful Birna !!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan

This image reminds me of the video of you and Michael Reichmann posted on the Luminous Landscape website which I still watch and enjoy occasionally.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com

Did you shoot it at the NikonGear workshop in Norway? I think I recall all of us shooting under the spectacular waterfall,,,
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
This was back in 2010,,,  :o ;D

Noct Nikkor 58mm f/1.2 AI-s P on D3
Erik Lund

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
No NG workshop as NG wasn't in existence yet. This was autumn 2004 when I and Lloyd Chambers toured Western Norway.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
I was also thinking it didn't fit with the timeline of D1X,,, but the place?
Erik Lund