Author Topic: Do You Prefer Rendering Of "Vintage" Nikon Cameras To "Modern" Nikon Cameras?  (Read 5593 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
I was also thinking it didn't fit with the timeline of D1X,,, but the place?

The place is called 'Gudbrandsjuvet' ('Gudbrand'=male given name, 'juvet'=narrow gorge). Located in Norddal municipality, Møre og Romsdal County, Norway; you'll find it directly on Google Maps. Extremely easy accessible by car -- of course  -- although I never seen anyone else making the same picture.

The waterfall is actually a side river emptying into the main River Valldøla.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Avocado leafs

The D1X with the AF-D 50/1.4

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
Must blow off the dust of my AFD 50/1.4, apparently. I used it a lot with the D1/D1H/D1X cameras, I recall fondly. Later it is fallen into disuse, which is sad.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
When we talk about the 'true colours' of the D1X, we probably should base our assumptions on whatever Nikon factory cooked up for the jpgs straight off the camera. Otherwise we open a whole can of software-related worms.

I agree that the jpgs from the D1X look very pleasant and natural, dare I say with a 'film look'?

I got a replacement battery of the modern Li-Ion type rushed to me so I can now try the camera at least. Main problem so far is finding CF cards small enough for the camera to accept them :) 2GB apparently is an upper limit size-wise?

The Voigtländer 58mm f/1.4 SL.2 does excellent service on the old-timer camera, by the way. It has to do until I find my older 50mm f/1.4 Nikkors in their hiding place.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
However -- and here comes the funnier part -- we can of course indulge the peculiar pixel layout of the D1X and make images look as alienated as desired :)

Nikon D1X with Noct-Nikkor 58mm f/1.2 AI, native 4024 x 1324 pix

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers

I got a replacement battery of the modern Li-Ion type rushed to me so I can now try the camera at least. Main problem so far is finding CF cards small enough for the camera to accept them :) 2GB apparently is an upper limit size-wise?
Yes I checked.  The D1X won't accept  Fat-converted 4GB cards (The Fuji S2 does).  2GB is the max unfortunately ;)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
Must blow off the dust of my AFD 50/1.4, apparently. I used it a lot with the D1/D1H/D1X cameras, I recall fondly. Later it is fallen into disuse, which is sad.
I can imagine, it's a great lens.  Love this version on all Camera's (and the size is a bonus), has more character than the later G 50/1.4.  Too bad it won't auto focus on the Z's.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
I started looking up D1X images in my archives and was a little surprised on the diversity displayed by my old captures.

I fondly remembered this example because it once was published in double page-spread size and looked gorgeous. Also recalled the practical difficulties to be sorted before I succeeded with my planned shoot.

'Catch the cake snatcher'

Nikon D1X, AFS 300mm f/2.8

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
Great shot, Birna. What kind of bird is that?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
Some kind of passerine or sparrow, I believe. Very fond of cake, that's for sure. And small.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
The D1X was the first of the digital Nikons with GPS, which endeared the model to me. The GPS hook-up was very awkward by today's standards and required special cables and a GPS unit (Garmin) communicating over a serial port.

Another aspect was the availability of lens CPU units allowing for the first time 'chipping' of manual Nikkors. Sometimes even the most bizarre combinations could be tried out, like my attempt of using the RS-Micro-Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 for my D1X -- under water. It did work, but involved a high risk of killing the camera and its electronics circuitry. Such disasters were part of exploring the new digital era.

The snail is Littorina saxatilis, by the way.

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
Does the D100 share the image charms of the D1X?
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

timh

• NG Supporter
  • uMhlanga, South Africa
The D1X was the first of the digital Nikons with GPS, which endeared the model to me. The GPS hook-up was very awkward by today's standards and required special cables and a GPS unit (Garmin) communicating over a serial port.

Another aspect was the availability of lens CPU units allowing for the first time 'chipping' of manual Nikkors. Sometimes even the most bizarre combinations could be tried out, like my attempt of using the RS-Micro-Nikkor 50mm f/2.8 for my D1X -- under water. It did work, but involved a high risk of killing the camera and its electronics circuitry. Such disasters were part of exploring the new digital era.

The snail is Littorina saxatilis, by the way.

Love the unusual transition from detail to out of focus background that looks almost painted. The colours are great too.
Timothy Hodgkinson

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
Does the D100 share the image charms of the D1X?

Not in my experience. Other members may chip in with their own stories.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
I don't own  a D1x. Had some experience with the d100, but is the d2x that has some je ne sois quoi (and for me the D200 as well, also in IR)
 I am attached to older models because I had developed an emotional relationship with them. I still love to take the D3s (great gear) d300 (not so great but I still.like it) etc.... So I may be bias  :)