Author Topic: Z fc - the thread  (Read 30562 times)

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Z fc - the thread
« Reply #225 on: June 12, 2022, 16:52:48 »
Magic, simply magic, or simply "with most of my own CPU-modified F lenses," Birna's touch, which amounts to the same thing in this case. Magic is a scientific explanation when you understand as little about optics as I do.

Greg L

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #226 on: June 12, 2022, 20:32:52 »
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C Clarke.

The Voigtlander Z D35mm f/1.2 Nokton looks like the perfect companion for the Zfc. Go for it, Kenneth !

Happy shooting.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #227 on: June 14, 2022, 17:21:12 »
Well, I don't have a green dot, but i have restored smooth as butter focusing! In frustration I separated lens, adapter and Z mount, gave them "a good looking at" and reinstalled the Contax, adapter and Z mount, and voila, smooth as butter focusing again.  Hands on science! Simple as putting the screwdriver in the screw slot or whatever.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #228 on: June 14, 2022, 19:42:12 »
The Voigtländer 35/1.2 does tolerably well close-ups, thus adding to its versatility.

Since I prefer small lenses on the Z fc, I signed up for an early bird-offer of the forthcoming Viltrox 13mm f/1.4. Hopefully it'll arrive later this summer, in time for floral abuses :)

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #229 on: June 14, 2022, 20:21:04 »
I had similar offer on the new Viltrox 13/1,4 like a 20mm f2 coverage on the Zfc .

Bjørn Jorde

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #230 on: June 16, 2022, 01:12:40 »
Has anyone tried the Voigtländer 23/1.2?
Seems like this would be a nice combo with the Z fc as well.

Bjorn
BJ

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #231 on: June 16, 2022, 12:35:14 »
I have the Viltrox 23mm f/1.4, so dropped out on the Voigtländer.

Apparently there is a new generation of excellent optical design for small, high-performance lenses available. Thus many of the reputable makers launch useful products at present. There is the occasional lemon, like the Zhongyi/Mitakon 85/2.8, but fortunately these are the exception not the rule. Of course, if price is very modest, one has to except less than stellar performance.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #232 on: June 17, 2022, 20:54:30 »
Birna, is this little lens labeled a 11 or a 111 model Nokton?  It sure is difficult to find it in Canada.

Bjørn Jorde

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #233 on: June 17, 2022, 21:11:34 »
BJ

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #234 on: June 18, 2022, 00:57:05 »
THANK YOU, Bjorn.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #235 on: June 18, 2022, 18:46:19 »
Available about fifty kms from my home!  No more excuses, money up  or shut up now.

Bjørn Jorde

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #236 on: June 25, 2022, 22:24:44 »
Birna, how do you configure the Z fc to use aperture ring on lens when using CPU lenses?
I find that any CPU F-mount lens (AF, AF-D, manual with CPU added, on FTZ II) requires setting the aperture on the lens to minimum and using the front-dial. The Z fc gives an FEE error otherwise.
On the DSLRs, there's a custom setting (f7-Aperture setting) to control this, but I can't find the same on Z fc. Also the FTZ II manual says to set to minimal as well.

Thanks!
BJ

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #237 on: June 26, 2022, 02:50:41 »
Birna, how do you configure the Z fc to use aperture ring on lens when using CPU lenses?
I find that any CPU F-mount lens (AF, AF-D, manual with CPU added, on FTZ II) requires setting the aperture on the lens to minimum and using the front-dial. The Z fc gives an FEE error otherwise.
On the DSLRs, there's a custom setting (f7-Aperture setting) to control this, but I can't find the same on Z fc. Also the FTZ II manual says to set to minimal as well.

Thanks!

It may in the controls section of the menu. I vaguely remember there being a setting to use the aperture ring, or a control dial.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #238 on: June 26, 2022, 10:26:40 »
There is no traditional "aperture follower" on the FTZ/FTZ II adapters. Thus, they act as a camera being locked into "G" mode, i.e. aperture is controlled by camera dial(s). If the lens has a CPU. it will  be used in "G" mode too.

As a consequence, the aperture ring on the lens should be locked to the minimum value.

An alternative is to keep the small sensing tab on the FTZ permanently pressed in. A small piece of wood (tooth pick) or similar in combination with epoxy glue will solve that issue neatly. An advantage is you now can observe depth-of-field and bokeh at apertures wider than f/5.6. The disadvantage is that you need to have the camera aperture figure to that value or larger, or a wrong exposure will result.

Bjørn Jorde

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #239 on: June 26, 2022, 19:43:02 »
Thanks Birna, that makes sense to me now. And explains why the custom config is "missing" on the Z bodies.  ;)
BJ