Author Topic: Z fc - the thread  (Read 21171 times)

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Z fc - the thread
« Reply #255 on: October 27, 2022, 23:20:13 »
 Is it recommended that I update the latest firmware  version? My Zfc still has the V1.0 firmware in it

Keep shooting,
Bern

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #256 on: October 27, 2022, 23:24:22 »
Yes, definitively.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #257 on: October 28, 2022, 17:27:57 »
Well, since I only use Manual lenses, and since my inheritors have stated that they only have interest in photographic equipment called iPhones, I have to take a "What ,me worry. . . . " attitude and gift my Df and all the f lenses to my grand daughter, in the hope it will spark an interest in the best camera ever created. I doubt there will be any interest in the little ZfC except for my  newish Voigtlander f1.2 lens.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #258 on: October 31, 2022, 16:49:39 »
Birna, if you can forgive my Q crashing, in late June you said,"As a consequence, the aperture ring on the lens should be locked to the minimum value.(toothpick technology) Does this apply to users of the Voigtlander Z f1.2 lens also?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #259 on: October 31, 2022, 17:05:35 »
No. None of the "native" Z lenses require this. The Voigtländer 35mm f/1.2 and the Viltrox lenses will set aperture directly if you rotate the aperture ring. They *can* be set to the minimum value (labelled A on the Viltrox) if you really insist  to use the camera dial, though.

However, all F-mount lenses mounted via the FTZ/FTZ II  require setting aperture to the minimum otherwise the camera will indicate an error. That is, unless you 'fool' the camera using the 'toothpick' technology described earlier.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #260 on: October 31, 2022, 23:43:51 »
Thank you, Birna; I presumed that, but we users just do not know what market share struggles are going on behind the scenes.

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #261 on: November 01, 2022, 07:48:58 »
After a few days using the Zfc, it feels substantially lighter than my D600. I now see the reason behind reviewers mentioning it as "too plasticky"

The Nikon Zfc-GR1/ grip has a thumb rest at the back making handling better than a bare Zfc. Its not as substantial as DSLR design though but good enough to improve handling. Third party grip (JJC or Smallrig) does not seem to have this thumb rest.

A non-Panda Z fc -- nice :)

However, you do need to handle the camera differently from the now ubiquitous DSLR designs based on a protruding thumb rest, which the Z fc lacks. As hands differ between people, each has to find their best way of interfacing hands and camera. I feel very comfortable using the Z fc and in that respect it reminds of the Df.
Keep shooting,
Bern