Author Topic: Z fc - the thread  (Read 30580 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Z fc - the thread
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2021, 07:09:39 »
But will the Nikon grip be available outside of Japan?

Thr Nikon Z fc grip is available in Finland (or at least marketed by camera stores; I don't know if they have arrived yet) so it seems likely that it would be available worldwide.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2021, 13:33:16 »
just buy the grip for the Zfc :o :o :o

id personally modify an MD12 if ever i bought a Zfc which i doubt since i already have TOO MANY cameras ::)
I could make myself a very nice wooden grip with many exotic woods I have in my workshop ;)

F2F3F6

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2021, 21:09:47 »
Like Fuji or Tamron (Kirk, RRS, Benro, Gitzo...) Nikon could  (should !) make Arca-Swiss compatible grips !

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2021, 05:59:50 »
That could look nice - as do some of the yester year handles for flash guns and third party accessories that I have seen.

I could make myself a very nice wooden grip with many exotic woods I have in my workshop ;)
Hugh Gunn

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2021, 06:16:48 »
Like Fuji or Tamron (Kirk, RRS, Benro, Gitzo...) Nikon could  (should !) make Arca-Swiss compatible grips !

I the one I mentioned does have an arca plate. It's a lovely grip :-)
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #95 on: September 02, 2021, 14:58:56 »
I must be stupid, how to activate back button (ael button) for af-on on the zfc? I got it through custom menu!

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2021, 21:02:34 »
I must be stupid, how to activate back button (ael button) for af-on on the zfc? I got it through custom menu!
On my z50 I go to custom setting menu, f controls, f2 custom controls -Shooting and then give to AE lock the AF-ON function
I hope something similar for zFc  :)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #97 on: September 03, 2021, 03:50:03 »
Try page 367 in the Nikon Z fc manual. As I read it the AE-L/AF-L button can be reassigned to perform AF-ON.

Dave

I'm having a bit of trouble with the icons all looking like black squares in the PDF I have but I'm quite sure custom setting f2 is the silver bullet. Check it out!
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #98 on: September 03, 2021, 07:40:40 »
Yes i have assigned the ael button for af-on, took a bit to figure, why nikon thinks this way, to qualify the zfc in the same bracket as the d3000 series.
Maybe the zfc did come out of a 3d printer. Thanks for the help. ;)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #99 on: September 03, 2021, 08:36:50 »
If only the Nikon Z fc had two function buttons on the front I might succumb to its cuteness (actually size and weight and cuteness) even without IBIS.

Dave

I need to get off my ass and recommended the Z fc to a nephew with a 6 month old baby.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #100 on: September 03, 2021, 10:10:09 »
Yes i have assigned the ael button for af-on, took a bit to figure, why nikon thinks this way, to qualify the zfc in the same bracket as the d3000 series.
Maybe the zfc did come out of a 3d printer. Thanks for the help. ;)

A lot of people get confused if you hand them a camera where you have to press separate buttons to focus and take the shot. Quite a number of times this has created problems. People think they can use the camera and then get blurry out of focus shots. Having a camera default to focusing on the shutter button is the way cameras ship. Even today if you pick a flagship body from the box, the shutter button focuses and AF-ON also focuses but doesn't perform any additional useful functions without reprogramming either AF-ON (to lock or e.g. change focus area mode) or the shutter button (not to focus). So in both cases most people will need to go into the custom settings to make the camera behave in an all-around sensible way.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2021, 06:37:03 »
theres now rebate of up to 100eu for this :o :o :o

still wont buy, bought a MIOJ 135/4, 21/4 and 35/2.5 ::) these are more valuable for my in my opinion (also a rare 12-bladed flektogon)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2021, 20:05:53 »
The Chinese company Viltrox recently has released several AF lenses in native Z mount. I got the AF 23mm f/1.4 STM ED IF (their designation, not mine) for the Z fc. This is a small, quite compact modern 11 elements in 10 groups design with ED and aspherical elements. Plus of course it has the electronics to allow the lens to communicate with the camera and conduct AF. It is made for the DX format.

Price was very reasonable and the lens shipped fast as well, apparently from a facility in the Netherlands. I got it this afternoon so just a few quick shots.The workmanship and build appear to be excellent and the lens itself delivered very sharp and contrasty images.

First example, of the fruiting rowan, is at f/1.4 and done in strong wind. I just pushed AF-ON and hoped for the best.
Second example is at f/5.6. NEFs are run through Photo Ninja with default settings.

I probably will open a dedicated thread for this lens, however it seems pertinent to sketch its potential here as it evidently is designed with Z fc (and similar cameras) in mind. The entry of new and competent lens makers is of course always welcome, no matter what camera their products target.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2021, 09:35:52 »
Two friends and morning coffee.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2021, 12:50:02 »
Looks nice, promising options for the zfc.