Author Topic: Z fc - the thread  (Read 30626 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Z fc - the thread
« Reply #75 on: August 21, 2021, 17:24:14 »
The Z fc sharing the Z mount with its bigger FX siblings makes a lot of sense to me and likely to Nikon as well :)

Adapting F-lenses, native or third-party alike,  will always require the 46.5mm register distance required of the F-mount itself. If a hypothetical lens with F bayonet is made for a "short FTZ", then that lens could not be used on any F camera SLR/DSLR, so why not make it for Z mount directly?

LAOWA makes many small and compact lenses which natively fit the Z mount. I use the 11mm f/4.5 interchangeably on the Z fc and the Z5/Z6. There is no CPU in the LAOWAs, but that they share with my rangefinder lenses.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2021, 00:41:01 »
not only that but you will not get stuck when you "upgrade" to FX :o :o :o assuming that you bought the FX lenses instead of the DX ones ::)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #77 on: August 22, 2021, 01:39:42 »
not only that but you will not get stuck when you "upgrade" to FX :o :o :o assuming that you bought the FX lenses instead of the DX ones ::)

There is one and only one DX lens I would like to have bought: the AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR. The reason is when I owned only a Nikon D300s I knew if I could ever afford it my next camera would be an FX Nikon so I didn't by DX lenses. A friend owns the 16-85/3.5-5.6 DX and I've used it on her D300.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #78 on: August 22, 2021, 05:58:59 »
Eeeewwww … :-\ :-\ :-\

Colored lenses seem a bit grotesque.

https://nikonrumors.com/2021/08/21/weekly-nikon-news-flash-638.aspx/

I wonder how dirt and finger grease will look on the colored cameras and lenses after a while. At least black rubber and leatherette ages in a ‘mature’ way.
Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: August 22, 2021, 08:30:16 »
My gripe is that the colours seem odd. That "pink" lens for example is miles off being pink. I noticed coloured Nikon CX lenses didn't always match the camera, but the example shown here is more deviant.

I have a pink Nikon J2 and its lenses stand use fairly well. OK, to be frank, the exterior build quality suffices, but for the kit zoom lenses, the interior parts fail as inferior material is used. I do hope Nikon learned its lessons there.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2021, 12:44:15 »
Meanwhile, I continue to enjoy the old rangefinder Nikkors on my Z fc. This is the 3.5cm f/1.8 W-Nikkor. Subject is the terranean stolon of Common Reed Phragmites australis, which sometimes ventures into unsuitable habitats (!).

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2021, 15:33:01 »
I am not sure if they know who they created the camera for. For me, the camera would get more attention from old school photographers who have great sentiments for the old analogue photography time.

Apparently the Df was very popular among young people in Japan. Because of the price, success was limited. I think this could be the reason they went with a DX version for the first Z mount "fusion" camera, to keep the price at a more manageable level for young adults.

I think it can be good for learning the basics to have concrete dials to work with.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2021, 21:55:30 »
I guess the dials are not used very much?
If Aperture priority is used and RAW-mode is used then the modern exposure calculation is so accurate that -+ correction is not needed very often?
Different AF-modes must be selected in the menus anyway?

ISO and -+correction is very easy to change on "native" Z-bodies.

So what is the nice thing about the "vintage" dials on Z fc?
Z fc is more about "look" than "human interface" compared to the native Z-bodies?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2021, 22:05:20 »
I for one use the dials on the Z fc all the time. other users might set the camera to A mode and just blast away. The camera allows the user to indulge hers or his whims and preferences. The tactile feel of the operation is part of the ecosystem.

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2021, 22:36:01 »
if they really wanted to "commemorate" the Zfc launch they should have at least made these look like Ai-S Nikkors to some extent, maybe even add a $15.00 premium to justify it :o :o :o it's not hard, they would have sold more lenses and people would have bought more Zfc (which is still selling very good here)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #85 on: August 23, 2021, 02:16:52 »
When I bought my AF-S 50/1.8G I wanted the SE version. I wasn't willing to pay a $60.00 premium for it. I might have paid a $10.00 premium but not more.

I guess if people are willing to pay a premium for special edition lenses then Nikon should sell them.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #86 on: August 23, 2021, 08:47:24 »
The Z50 has a nice grip and built-in flash also which can be nice in some occasions.
The Z50 was almost ignored when it was released but I am happy with my. I can recommend the kit with 16-50 which has a good performance and adds VR.
I totally agree the deep grip pairs very well with the 200-500  and the small flash is an added value

I would think the new camera only if there is big difference in AF speed, is it??

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2021, 00:43:23 »
just buy the grip for the Zfc :o :o :o

id personally modify an MD12 if ever i bought a Zfc which i doubt since i already have TOO MANY cameras ::)

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2021, 00:55:04 »
But will the Nikon grip be available outside of Japan?

The very nice Z body grip (not the battery grip) is only available in Japan.

Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

richardHaw

• NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2021, 01:34:38 »
yahoo auctions :o :o :o the nest of thieves and rats