Author Topic: Z fc - the thread  (Read 30572 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Z fc - the thread
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2021, 23:16:29 »
Only the Nikkor 20/3.5. Plus 21/4 Voigtländer for RF(S).

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2021, 23:26:06 »
Have you tried a f/1.8 AIS Nikkor pancake lens on the Zfc?  Esp. the Japanese version with serial numbers starting with 4?
The Japanese pancake AIS 50/1.8 has serial numbers from 2050001 - 2268017

The AIS version with serial numbers starting with 4 was produced after the series-E and Japan versions were discontinued, and produced for world-wide distribution. Although it is labelled as AIS it actually has more in common with the series-E versions, having plastic parts and close focus limit of only 0.6m. The Japan version has a metal barrel focusing down to 0.45m. All have the same optical design, although the AIS versions have better coatings than the series-E models.

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2021, 12:33:33 »
Thanks Roland:

I had seen your list, but screwed up the serial number sequence in my question to Birna.

I have the later US version currently, but have a Japanese version on the way to me.

Thanks

Randy

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2021, 14:35:34 »
I was able to fiddle with the Z fc and 16-50 mm lens in a store today. I think the camera is wonderfully light and would make a great travel and walkabout camera. However, I find some of the controls not as easy to use as I expected. The exposure compensation dial is quite small and requires some effort to turn. Same with the ISO dial though I guess it is expected. The shutter speed dial, in contrast, moves with a very light touch. I am not entirely convinced by the implementation of the two-axis screen; the one-axis screen can be tilted without moving the screen to the side, but this one has to be moved to the left side to turn along the horizontal axis. I have seen some Fuji camera with LCD able to turn in two axis without having to be moved from behind the camera.

The viewfinder looks very nice.

It takes some getting used to having no grip. I guess one can get used to it, but I liked the F3HP's small grip as well as the Df's.

The camera did not leave the shop with me, at least not today, but I did get a favourable impression of it.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2021, 17:00:26 »
---
The camera did not leave the shop with me, at least not today, but I did get a favourable impression of it.

The most famous snub line "... is tolerable, I suppose, but not handsome enough to tempt me ..." soon proved to be erroneous. My feeling in the near future you will be in a similar situation :)

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2021, 17:14:47 »
Well  Randy, nobody has yet answered your question, and I await with bated breath, as I have the export version of that lens, and it is no different functionally or physically to the apparently more desirable Japanese home market version. On occasion I have used it on my Df, and noticed some initial  awkwardness in getting fingers to operate the aperture ring.  The F/Z adaptor may make it easier to locate the ring; I don't know, as I've not yet seen/operated this combination of camera, adaptor and lens, obviously. Just as obviously, it appears to me that this combination would be perfect. In addition to bathed  breath, I await with fingers crossed!(Birna take note, please, pretty pink please!?)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2021, 17:41:29 »
My young Afghan friend Breshna, just turned 7, fell immediately for the Z fc and wouldn't let me get near the camera for an hour ...

She had very little problems using the Z fc with the 35/1.8 Z lens after receiving a few basic instructions. Just like me, she uses her left eye for viewing and focusing.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2021, 21:42:36 »
Finally, by plying her with soft drinks, she surrendered the camera to me, and started making faces with napkins instead. Not all experiments were successful :)

Zfc, 35mm f/1.8 Nikkor S-Line Z.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2021, 23:47:42 »
The 1 hour shooting and the napking faces, all seems like a success to me  :)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2021, 20:54:44 »
I've been otherwise engaged for some time now, paying the much needed attention to cololecting specimens for my aquatic plant project. When I returned from a trip to Western Norway today, the much-awaited Nikkor 5cm f/1.1 rangefinder lens had just arrived. What a treat for my Z fc !!

One of the first images with the 5cm/1.1. I added the 11mm Meike extension ring as the lens by itself does not focus closer than 0.9m.

I'll make a picture of the camera with the new lens later.  Now, unpacking and caring for my sampes is required.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2021, 11:44:05 »
As promised, although nobody asked, here is the 5cm f/1.1 on my Z fc.

It's 1.1 all the way!!

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2021, 12:35:38 »
Is the Zfc an improvement over the Z50?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2021, 12:45:04 »
So far I'd say yes. It handles better -- for me at least. And the looks are gorgeous of course. I sold off the Z50 as it was never my intention to get that model, it was the means of getting an extra and cheap FTZ as my sealer sold it bundled with FTZ for a very favourable price.

In common with Z50, there is no direct metrhod for inputting GPS information than using Snapbridge on a phone. Not my favourite method to say the least, and spatial accuracy is way below what a bespoke GPS device can provide. However, for the casual work load I'm expecting my Z fc to cope with, this would suffice. Just remember to recharge your phone more frequently, as Snapbridge adversely impacts battery capacity.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2021, 12:45:31 »
I've been otherwise engaged for some time now, paying the much needed attention to cololecting specimens for my aquatic plant project. When I returned from a trip to Western Norway today, the much-awaited Nikkor 5cm f/1.1 rangefinder lens had just arrived. What a treat for my Z fc !!

One of the first images with the 5cm/1.1. I added the 11mm Meike extension ring as the lens by itself does not focus closer than 0.9m.

I'll make a picture of the camera with the new lens later.  Now, unpacking and caring for my sampes is required.

Wonderfully dreamy image...

Frankly, I'm not big fan of retro-design for the digital camera, but Z fc matches very well with the vintage lenses, especially S-mount Nikkors.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2021, 13:00:29 »
-- Frankly, I'm not big fan of retro-design for the digital camera, but Z fc matches very well with the vintage lenses, especially S-mount Nikkors.

That in a nutshell is why I immediately ordered the Z fc.