Author Topic: Z fc - the thread  (Read 31228 times)

chambeshi

Re: Z fc - the thread
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2021, 12:18:20 »
Another interview with Nikon. they say  the younger smartphone generation is Nikon's principal target

https://www.techradar.com/news/exclusive-how-nikon-designed-the-nikon-zfc-and-why-it-thinks-the-future-is-retro

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2021, 13:23:38 »
I feel empowered and rejuvenated. Thanks to the Mothership :)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2021, 14:01:22 »
 :o ;D ;D ;D 8)
Erik Lund

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2021, 17:32:39 »
Such great comments on the Z FC; I can hardly wait for Nikon to come up with a full frame Z FC !!!!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2021, 18:53:23 »
And one of the keys to achieving this on a retro-inspired camera is the dials, which recreate a tactile shooting experience that's a welcome contrast to the soulless screen-prodding of smartphones. --Tech Radar

Yesterday I took some record photos with my smart phone. That's all it's good for. The worst thing bar none about taking photos with a smart phone is the very long shutter lag. With my phone you tap the screen and the LED "flash light" turns on to aid in focus, then the phone makes some noises and finally it takes the photo. There is no way to take a photograph of a person and expect to record a peak expression. There is no way to record peak action. My Kodak Instamatic 100 and various Kodak Brownie cameras were more responsive.

This is a camera be it ever so humble. My smart phone is not.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2021, 22:31:29 »
I tried out the Zfc just briefly and found the lack of a grip to be a no go. The Df at least has a small grip and since its overall body it bigger, i got used to it. I guess if I was to get a DX Z i would look to the Z50. I really lke the retro dials though!

Gone

• NG Member
  • No longer wish to be ignored
« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2021, 23:41:38 »
Yesterday I took some record photos with my smart phone. That's all it's good for. The worst thing bar none about taking photos with a smart phone is the very long shutter lag. With my phone you tap the screen and the LED "flash light" turns on to aid in focus, then the phone makes some noises and finally it takes the photo. There is no way to take a photograph of a person and expect to record a peak expression. There is no way to record peak action. My Kodak Instamatic 100 and various Kodak Brownie cameras were more responsive.

Dave

Is it an iPhone?

I have a Samsung and the photos are instant!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #52 on: August 20, 2021, 00:12:33 »
Is it an iPhone?

No it's a Moto G(7).  >:(

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #53 on: August 20, 2021, 02:38:55 »

Dave

You might have the wrong smart phone. Newer models have almost no lag, and have live mode which is essentially a short clip from which you can select the image in which your subject doesn’t happen to have their eyes closed. I get great images from my phone. It’s not a substitute for a dslr, but it is better than any instamatic.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #54 on: August 20, 2021, 03:24:30 »
I haven't see the smart phone that has the low shutter lag of an Instamatic 100 but that doesn't mean such as smart phone isn't out in the wild. What kind of price? Then there is the non-camera interface of a smart phone. It's not like a real camera. Even the shutter sound is fake.

The Nikon Z fc has a real camera interface. This is a thread about the Z fc, yes?

Dave

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2021, 07:59:26 »
I tried out the Zfc just briefly and found the lack of a grip to be a no go. The Df at least has a small grip and since its overall body it bigger, i got used to it. I guess if I was to get a DX Z i would look to the Z50. I really lke the retro dials though!

The Z50 has a nice grip and built-in flash also which can be nice in some occasions.
The Z50 was almost ignored when it was released but I am happy with my. I can recommend the kit with 16-50 which has a good performance and adds VR. 

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2021, 08:36:36 »
Is a Z50 II coming soon, maybe?

Dave

Gone

• NG Member
  • No longer wish to be ignored
« Reply #57 on: August 20, 2021, 10:38:30 »

This is a thread about the Z fc, yes?

Dave

Lol - you raised the subject of phones  ::)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2021, 17:46:32 »
Lol - you raised the subject of phones  ::)

Actually the Techradar.com Nikon interview linked by chambeshi brought up the smart phone. Nikon said the Z fc was designed to appeal to younger smart phone users.

Dave

I'm going to recommend a Nikon Z fc to a nephew with a 6 month old baby. A child's life is to short and precious to waste taking photos with smart phone.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2021, 18:03:58 »
Nikon said the Z fc was designed to appeal to younger smart phone users.

I am not sure if they know who they created the camera for. For me, the camera would get more attention from old school photographers who have great sentiments for the old analogue photography time.