Author Topic: Nikon Z -fc formally announced  (Read 6102 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: Nikon Z -fc formally announced
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2021, 10:33:22 »
I really think that the old screw-in release should have been implemented :o :o :o

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2021, 13:13:40 »
Only ML-L7 Bluetooth Remote Control is listed under accessories so there is likely no IR remote sensor:
https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/photography-accessories/mirrorless-camera-accessories.page#!/tag:7WA:Remotes%20and%20Releases/product:Z-fc:Z%20fc

Thanks for this tip, I wonder if anyone here has experience with this product? I just would like to know how easy or difficult it is to pair and if there are any hassles like there was with the first versions of Snapbridge (and sometimes also with newer ones, especially with older cameras).

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2021, 13:15:14 »
I really think that the old screw-in release should have been implemented :o :o :o

I think Nikon tried hard to make the camera really small, so it may be that the 10-pin connector would've taken too much space or interfered with the aesthetics they were aiming for.

In the Z lineup none of the current cameras use the 10-pin round screwed connector, but the Z9 might.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2021, 13:26:45 »
I think Nikon tried hard to make the camera really small, so it may be that the 10-pin connector would've taken too much space or interfered with the aesthetics they were aiming for.

In the Z lineup none of the current cameras use the 10-pin round screwed connector, but the Z9 might.

no not the 10-pin, i am taking about the shutter :o :o :o
like in the Df

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2021, 13:47:21 »
no not the 10-pin, i am taking about the shutter :o :o :o
like in the Df

I see. Yes, that would have made things easier.

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2021, 14:44:52 »
The "iconic launch event"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pm-V4h8e-I

A Panda digital FM? Paint it black
My sentiments, exactly!

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2021, 14:53:06 »
Even though I would prefer all black, a pink Zfc is entirely acceptable :)

As I tend to use the Z50 mainly with old rangefinder lenses, it could easily be replaced by an Zfc. That would make for a very compact and handy outfit. Add a modern Laowa manual lens in Z-mount such as the 11mm f/4.5 to round off the kit.
I could rock a panda, no problem. However pink would render it theft-proof, in my world. And make me a lot of new friends, in the bargain. It hadn't occurred to me, what a good platform for old rangefinder lenses this camera line is. Would it mount a PB-5 bellows and clear the viewfinder housing, without necessitating a "spacer" such as a K-ring or some such?

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2021, 15:00:19 »
My daughter was about to buy the Z50 but after having seen the Zfc, she decided to wait and buy the Zfc instead. A sign the retro design appeals to the younger generation?

Peter

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2021, 15:14:37 »
Nikon have an unusually strong push on social media launching the Zfc: with predictable targets.

Actually this DX MILC is quite a bit more than the Z50, including expanded AF capabilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bfp5RJCjdI
and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JzH2z6TbXQ

The Zfc could become a good seller,  including among  the younger cohorts  of customers entirely new to using an ILC for real photography.

One has to wonder how much millennials andhigh school kids know about the technical aspects of digitial photography. But some Zfc owners will soon learn the nuances about FX vs DX etc, and add more lenses, perhaps a FTZ too.... and so learn about the classic Nikkors out there... also seeing what older glass was used/ and still is delivering on the classic film cameras (including FM2 bodies). A ZFc should also sell to those who began their photography with a  FM2 or similar.

Nevertheless, the marketing slant to use older Legacy lenses with the Zfc opens up the recurring question. Where is the FTZ adapter with an Aperture-Indexing ring and full support of Screwdriver AF ?!? See this video by Nikon Europe which includes a strong pitch for compatibility with legacy F-Nikkors: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Pm-V4h8e-I

All in all, if Zfc attracts newcomers to Nikon, it's worked for the designers to help grow the Z System. Thus, a great idea acted on by Nikon!

If Nikon marketing  is shrewd, handing out a couple  of these new cameras to high profile instagrammers will demonstrate its capabilities to many in the target audience. It will not take much effort to highlight how much camera you get for the price of a smartphone + big bonuses of Greater Nikon Ecosystem of lenses made over the past 6 decades.
Those of us who had little alternative, or financial incentive, then to rock our Dx bodies -- such as the venerable D300/s -- for a seeming eternity may well be receptive to this new camera. As an analog to my Fx camera and lenses, this could be the realization of the elusive "digital FE" fools and fakers such as I have long pined for. Moreover, if it would take to legacy glass without issue, I would consider it very much a fait accompli -- if the price is right.

archix007

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2021, 15:46:31 »
The new Z 28/2.8 lens has a plastic mount ! WTF  :-X

This new 28/2.8 has a nice look, though. An eerie reminder of the 50mm f/1.8 "retro" Nikkor accompanying the Nikon Df (2013).

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2021, 15:58:10 »
I am sure that the Zfc will be a nice start to her Nikon journey.

My daughter was about to buy the Z50 but after having seen the Zfc, she decided to wait and buy the Zfc instead. A sign the retro design appeals to the younger generation?
Hugh Gunn

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2021, 16:22:13 »

This 28/2.8 lens is also announced as a "native" Z-lens?
If this is true then the "native" Z-lens is probably with metal mount?

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2021, 17:31:13 »

I have a plastic boat. It is better than a metal one. The larger Z mount makes forces on the mount less than F mount. Not all plastic is bad. Not all metal is good.

Zang

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2021, 17:55:05 »
Not sure if anyone else was wondering, but why APS-C?

Do you think they will release full frame ZFF next? :)

archix007

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2021, 18:56:45 »
It all depends on how successful the Zfc will be in the market.
Not sure if anyone else was wondering, but why APS-C?

Do you think they will release full frame ZFF next? :)