Author Topic: Nikon Z Flagship pending - Candid Interview  (Read 4080 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon Z Flagship pending - Candid Interview
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2021, 18:17:38 »
https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/9636338352/interview-nikon-a-flagship-nikon-z-series-mirrorless-camera-can-be-expected-within-the-year

Notice how Nikon dismiss the request for adapted support for screwdriver lenses. I am not suggesting this is the most important feature to have but the size and weight argument is difficult to justify when Sony have made that type of adapter (LA-EA5) and it's 88 g and has no bulge. Nikon's FTZ is 133 g and has no AF motor. Something to think about.

However, I was unable to find detailed compatibility information on the Sony adapter; user reviews give a 1.8 star average (only two reviews) claiming lack of AF with A9, A7C and A7 III while working with A7R IV. So it's not at all clear what the real functionality of the adapter is and what are the limitations (user error or real incompatibility). Nonetheless they have shown it can be done.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2021, 21:58:13 »
Yes, it is a shame with the screwdriver AF lens adapter......maybe a 3. party can make one......
If Nikon made one it would not need to be just one adapter. They could keep the current and just make a new that also supported the screwdriver AF.
But after all good that the Z-cameras AF-points gets green when focus is spot-on when these lenses are used with manual focus.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2021, 14:37:55 »
Nice interview.

I wonder, now the focus is on smaller affordable lenses, but where are the f/1.4 lenses in the Z mount? 

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2021, 16:06:17 »
Nice interview.

I wonder, now the focus is on smaller affordable lenses, but where are the f/1.4 lenses in the Z mount?
With f/1.4 the AF needs to be much more precise than with the f/1.8 lenses, same issue on DSLR but there the AF is slowed down in speed.  The fast lenses will come when Nikon masters the AF on mirrorless better
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2021, 16:07:45 »
https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/9636338352/interview-nikon-a-flagship-nikon-z-series-mirrorless-camera-can-be-expected-within-the-year
Just saw it on Nikon rumors as well, Maybe I trade up my Z7 if it's indeed a similar high resolution sensor, we will see.
THX for sharing
Erik Lund

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2021, 19:10:19 »
Nice interview.

It seems that there will be an f/1.2 series instead of f/1.4.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2021, 19:14:18 »
With f/1.4 the AF needs to be much more precise than with the f/1.8 lenses, same issue on DSLR but there the AF is slowed down in speed.  The fast lenses will come when Nikon masters the AF on mirrorless better
Thanks for the explanation, Erik.  So the 50/1.2S is just an exception  ;)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2021, 19:15:12 »
It seems that there will be an f/1.2 series instead of f/1.4.
Oh? That will be a pretty expensive joke, not?

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2021, 19:40:51 »
Oh? That will be a pretty expensive joke, not?

Nikon have been saying for a number of years now that they want to focus on the high end. The Z mount makes it possible to design faster lenses than they could do in F mount. They have even mentioned making lenses faster than f/0.95. Of course it could be just (marketing) talk. The customers ultimately decide which products are successful, but Nikon do like to stretch boundaries.

Overall, the Z lens lineup is initially focused more on the practical than the exotic. But once Nikon get back on their feet, I suspect the latter will take up more prominence in the lineup.

Personally I like the practical approach.

Canon also have f/2, f/1.8 and f/1.2 primes in their mirrorless RF lineup but no f/1.4.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2021, 20:18:56 »
Thanks Ilkka.  That makes sense.  I saw the 85/1.2 S is rumoured but not yet confirmed.

chambeshi

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 08:45:50 »
fyi - some cynicism true to form!

https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/upon-reflection.html   

And I find Thom partially correct including on improving the specs of the Z II and definitely including the missing features he describes, which handicap using these cameras as efficiently as a D500 or D850. Even better will be a "Z8" that's a more affordable prosumer Z9 built on the stacking sensor with Z9 AF, but less bleeding edge features.

As for the estimated market for a FTZd adapter (ie many hobbyists who cannot/are reluctant to buy new Z lenses, especially as they derive profound pleasure using stalwart Classics eg 85 f1.4AFD, 28-105 AFD etc. THese perform very very well on a Z50 and Z6... albeit handicapped to only MF

As for AF accuracy the hard facts are the D850 - most pertinently - the D780 with its Z6 sensor - focuses AFD lenses perfectly including 70-180 AFD and the fickle 85 f1.4AFD - Thom slipped up on the 2nd part

The bottom line is the demand for a FTZd is substantial and will sell more new Z cameras. And an accessory, which those with a brand new Z optics can ignore exists  ;D ;D

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2021, 08:51:10 »
I strongly agree.

Let us hope that Nikon will eventually come to the party or that a third party provider will come to the rescue.

I am also one of those that bought AFD glass in good faith.

..........................................................................................rt

The bottom line is the demand for a FTZd is substantial and will sell more new Z cameras. And an accessory that those with money for new glass can ignore
Hugh Gunn

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2021, 10:51:54 »
Back to the topic of the new (upcoming) camera, it's nice to see Nikon finally use a stacked sensor as this can make silent shutter usable in most situations. However, it's unfortunate that it should have to be in an apparently 8K-capable camera as this "do everything in one camera" mentality can lead to a high price (like the D3X, maybe even higher). I would hope that less expensive, Z6-class cameras would get the silent shutter with fast read time with 24 MP as soon as possible. I get the idea that the wealthy are first relieved of their money and then the features progress to less expensive and more common models, but is the fast readout sensor more difficult to get good yield from, or is it just opportunistic pricing ("since this feature is so desirable, we put it only in high price ticket cameras")?

I really don't need 20 or 30 fps, or 8K video, but I would like to have silent shutter with fast read time so I can photograph in silence, when the situation requires. Right now the issue is that I frequently would want to do that in lighting that flickers and I don't want to have to choose frames where the subject didn't happen to move quickly; I'd rather be able to rely that the movement doesn't distort the geometry.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2021, 14:34:38 »
I'd rather be able to rely that the movement doesn't distort the geometry.
I  use silent shutter on my Z50 and yes the movement  distort the geometry, you can see it in multiple exposures of the same subject