Author Topic: Microsoft Windows 10 thread  (Read 25023 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Microsoft Windows 10 thread
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2016, 10:27:06 »
I started installing the new insider preview .... 10.25 CEST .... now at 89%

I got my old system on a second SSD. Would be online in one boot if need be.

22% after reboot 10 Minutes into the process
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2016, 10:31:01 »
I do not think staying at win7 is a sensible option. Esp not after the security update phase has elepsed.

What you can do if you want to keep a way back is clone win7 to a second bootable SSD and safely store it.

Then install win10  in your current drive, see that it is better in every respect .... might take a while ....
Then use tze second SSD for something more useful.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2016, 10:34:51 »
The user interface to win10 has this glaring error only Microsoft could commit. No indication of what window is the currently active one. All title bars are white as the driven snow. I downloaded a hack that only half-heartedly attempts to correct the stupid error. For now, win10 can wait until Microsoft get their act together. I do keep a test machine with Win10 on which I can try out all software used elsewhere on my network. That has to suffice for the time being.

Win10 suffers from the same disconnect bug that plagues win7, unless you alter various obscure settings of the network adapter(s). Another stupid Microsoft error.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2016, 10:49:33 »
install successfully completed. posting from the system... keep you updated ...

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2016, 10:56:45 »
The user interface to win10 has this glaring error only Microsoft could commit. No indication of what window is the currently active one. All title bars are white as the driven snow. I downloaded a hack that only half-heartedly attempts to correct the stupid error. For now, win10 can wait until Microsoft get their act together. I do keep a test machine with Win10 on which I can try out all software used elsewhere on my network. That has to suffice for the time being. Win10 suffers from the same disconnect bug that plagues win7, unless you alter various obscure settings of the network adapter(s). Another stupid Microsoft error.

sure you tried all the settings in setting. I positively know zthat until yesterday there was an option to show the active windows in the task bar (with optional preview).

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2016, 11:00:48 »
sure you tried all the settings in setting. I positively know zthat until yesterday there was an option to show the active windows in the task bar (with optional preview).

That is something entirely different, Frank. While the 'feature' works, it is pretty much useless in practice.

On all earlier Windows version, the active window was clearly indicated by the changed colour of its *title* bar. Plus the appearance of the title text changed to indicate it was active.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2016, 11:29:04 »
That is something entirely different, Frank. While the 'feature' works, it is pretty much useless in practice.
On all earlier Windows version, the active window was clearly indicated by the changed colour of its *title* bar. Plus the appearance of the title text changed to indicate it was active.

Now I got you. I will go, check the color theme options for you.

You think the bar on to of the active window should be of a different colr that the bar on a non active  window? I think so too.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2016, 11:31:07 »
Update: The new built caused Adobe CS3 Design Standard to require new "repair" activation. It needed a reboot to get the activation to work properly, but now everything is fine.

Only thing I use og the CS§ is Indesign occasionally and Distiller / Acrobat 8.3.1 daily

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2016, 11:34:15 »
Hm, Bjørn.

Feature works for me: Color for activation free choice & active window free color choice. You can of course set both to "snow white" if you prefer that.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2016, 12:20:45 »
OK, you are on an Insider version. This is not the mainstream version I'm using. Meaning that Microsoft has finally yielded to customers' massive complaint about the stupid error of the title bars, but we of the mainstream will have to wait maybe a few more months to get the update. If it arrives at all. With Microsoft you can never know.

I initially ran a an Insider version in a virtual machine and it had the 'normal' colour scheme showing a difference of active vs inactive windows. I removed this installation because it became unstable due to all the remaining bugs and foreced updates. Then, after win10 was officially launched, installed the 'normal' version  on a test machine. Poof now the coloured difference active vs passive windows had disappeared and according to Microsoft this was a  necessary 'feature'.

I hope you selected a custom update option otherwise Microsoft will run automatic updates of which you cannot reserve against the unwanted ones. Plus they mine your computer for information and send the data back to Redmont. Don't be surprised if a feature you rely on today is gone tomorrow.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2016, 12:38:47 »
Update: There was an error migrating the old HP Laserjet 1020. Uninstalling the printer and letting windows find the driver again did the trick. The problem could have been caused by a hardware thing also. The printer was cascaded on a PCI-E addon card for USB 3.0 and a 7-Port USB 3.0 Hub behind that. During the procedure that cost me 30 Minutes I reconfigured the USB 3.0 Hardware to only use the Mainboard outlets (only four, pity).

Bjørn: I do not remember having seen the problem  in the November update. I do not recall how Win 10 original version dealt with that problem, sorry.

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2016, 03:50:10 »
We must have different ways of working.  I never noticed the active window had a different color.  Win 10 is quite satisfactory for me.  We should see a new & improved build in a few months.

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2016, 08:28:49 »
I don't use Windows as my primary OS (I use OS X), but I think it is in general a nice improvement over Windows 7 and certainly better than Windows 8.
Jørgen Ramskov

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2016, 12:31:43 »
I am still longing for the better accessibility to seldom used apps in Win 8, and above all the near perfect integration of OneDrive / SkyDrive (with placeholders, so you could at least see the entire file catalogue even offline). The latter key feature has not yet been restored...
Airy Magnien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #89 on: July 13, 2016, 09:48:28 »
Hi you!

Windows 10 Insider Preview 14388 successfully installed!

They did remove all "Preview" signs visible on the desktop.

The last few builds ran flawlessly (I received 2 or 3 per week!)

My guess is that the roll out of Win10 anniversary release is very near.