Author Topic: Microsoft Windows 10 thread  (Read 24974 times)

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
Microsoft Windows 10 thread
« on: August 04, 2015, 13:45:48 »
Hi.

I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread for the new release, which is supposed to be the last Windows version, there will be no Windows 11 according to Microsoft. Windows 10 will be updated continuously with both bug fixes and new features.

Reviews:
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2015/07/review-windows-10-is-the-best-version-yet-once-the-bugs-get-fixed/
http://www.wired.com/2015/07/windows-10-review/
https://www.theverge.com/2015/7/28/9045331/microsoft-windows-10-review

How to install:
http://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2015/07/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-10-from-windows-7-and-8/

MS changes your default browser:
http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/07/windows-10-upgrade-resets-your-default-browser-to-edge-mozilla-is-very-unhappy/

Privacy issues:
http://boingboing.net/2015/08/03/windows-10-defaults-to-keylogg.html
http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/08/windows-10-doesnt-offer-much-privacy-by-default-heres-how-to-fix-it/

I'm personally using OS X, but I have upgraded a quite old Thinkpad to Windows 10 and the little bit I have used it so far, it seems pretty nice in general. I did run into an issue where I used the built in feature to reset the machine. It seemed to work and do the job but when it rebooted it wouldn't start again and I had to create a bootable USB key and do a re-install. I know I will get more time with Windows 10, if not only because I know there are at least 2 persons in the near family that will want my help upgrading at some point.
Jørgen Ramskov

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: Microsoft Windows 10 thread
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 14:36:10 »
Upgrade from Win 8 is a breeze. No app or driver reinstalls so far. Only had to reconnect to email servers etc.

The one big stupid thing with win 10 : the file explorer - the most fundamental tool is still the old fashioned one, and not suitable for tactile interfaces. I had to install a 3rd party one, using the Metro interface.
Airy Magnien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 15:29:17 »
The Notebook (i3 with Win7/x64) ran trough at once. The big (Core2Quad 9550 Win8.1/x64) one's installation
 seemed to be stuck in a loop until a second ago.
Now something real happens. "Update is being configured 85% ready".

The update informs me that my Media Center will be uninstalled for good. Now I do not know how to watch DVDs.

89%

great to have summer holidays ... 97% .... then I have time to do such things ..... rebooot.

"Windows Upgrade is being executed ... 4% ...."

You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 15:36:46 »
Until somebody puts a gun to my head and forces me to install W10, I will stick to W7. It does everything I want it to do, and I see no reason at all to "upgrade".
Bjørn Jørgensen

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 15:46:20 »
I fully understand you Bjørn. Windows 7 is a pretty nice, I certainly much prefer it compared to Windows 8 and 8.1. Windows 10, however, I'm not so sure. It's got some nice improvements under the hood. It uses less memory and it boots faster than Windows 7, not that boot time is critical. The Windows 10 interface seems to be a hybrid between Windows 7 and 8.

If you change your mind, you should do it within the next year as it's a free upgrade.
Jørgen Ramskov

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 15:57:30 »
Wow. That was fast. Not half an hour and win10 was installed
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 15:58:12 »
Is it free if I want to do a clean install? If I decide to try it it will be on a brand new, empty SSD, or maybe on one of older computers. I will install W10 and all the programs and drivers I need, and see if it works. If it doesn't, I can swap to the old SSD and be up and running immediately. That's how I did when I decided I had to start using W7 instead of XP.
No way I will let Windows 10 overwrite my Win 7. I have too much computer experience to allow that :)
Bjørn Jørgensen

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 16:11:43 »
I did backup my SSD to another SSD of the same size. Then I ran the update on the main SSD without risk. I can switch back in no time. You need to run the upgrade before you can run a clean install. Some sort of licence assurance I guess. But it seems to be quite clean and very time saving. I remember the upgrade to win8.1. Hunting for missing drivers for weeks.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 17:07:41 »
Jørgen, thanks for starting this useful thread.

My system is old now (5+ years), and I'm going to renew my PC as well as the printer.  I will build myself an NUC form factor PC without any moving parts (SSD, no cooling fan).  Now I'm waiting for all of my main apps to become compatible with Win10.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 17:54:55 »
Is it free if I want to do a clean install? If I decide to try it it will be on a brand new, empty SSD, or maybe on one of older computers. I will install W10 and all the programs and drivers I need, and see if it works. If it doesn't, I can swap to the old SSD and be up and running immediately. That's how I did when I decided I had to start using W7 instead of XP.
No way I will let Windows 10 overwrite my Win 7. I have too much computer experience to allow that :)

I have posted a link in the first post that describes the steps. You need to do an upgrade before you can do a clean install, it might be because it needs to register your current, valid install and upgrade the license to a Windows 10 license. Windows will also complain if you replace too much of the hardware on your machine, in which case you might be forced to call MS to get your machine activated again.

However, if you just want to test it you can install it without entering a license key and it will work for some time but I don't know how long before it will require a license key. Another option would be to make a complete image backup of your machine with something like clonezilla, then you would be able to restore your current system resonably quickly.
Jørgen Ramskov

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 18:00:34 »
Related info: On the launch day or the day after, I checked Lenovo's, Dell's and HP's websites for Windows 10 information (hardware compatibility and such) but I found practically nothing.
Jørgen Ramskov

frankv

• NG Supporter
  • I'm in it for the music!
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 18:27:58 »
I have upgraded both my laptop (i5 gen3, 4GB RAM, was Win7) and my desktop (i5 gen4, 16GB RAM, was Win8.1) and must say I'm pleased for now. There seems to be major speed improvements on both computers. I did process some files in Nikon NX-D on the laptop and with Afteshot PRO on the desktop prior to upgrading and the same proscessing after upgrade. The desktop nearly halved it's processingtime on my images, wich is very nice. Also, moving files around seems much more efficient now. And FLAC-encoding has gained significantly as well. And all my programs still work, all drivers seems to be ok, and no crashes so far. (Wich Aftershot PRO produced regularly on Win8.1)

So for now, I'm all in  :)

-frank-
Frank Vevik

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 08:42:13 »
From the list of backward steps :

- I found no way to hide the taskbar ==> permanent clutter. This is a step backward compared to both Win 7 and Win 8. Incredible. Found now workaround in Windows help. All the more incredible since any device (tablet or PC) do have a windows button reps. key to invoke, basically, the taskbar. So that key, which has been introduced ten years ago or so, is still looking for a justification.

EDIT : "hide the task bar automatically" is a proposed setting, but it does not work, at least on my M$ Surface laptop/tablet. It is apparently a bug, as the task bar would then hide parts of full screen windows (i.e. the system assumes that the task bar is hidden and sizes other windows accordingly, while in effect the task bar is displayed and hides parts of the application windows.)

- no way to display picks full screen and flip to the previous or next (using tactile screen or keyboard arrows), unless you hit "slideshow", but then you lose control.

- automatic re-orientation of screen according to orientation of device, most useful when displaying pics in portrait orientation, does not work on MS Surface

Fortunately it is still possible to have the welcome screen presenting applications by groups (as in Win eight), by forcing the device to start in tablet mode.
Maybe I'll find niceties, but none so far (note that I have been using Win 8 for two years, both on a M$ surface and a bigger laptop, with either keyboard and mouse or tactile screen - so the niceties already introduced by Win 8 do not count).
Airy Magnien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 09:10:50 »
I did not find much change from Win 8.1 so far. I usually do not hide the task bar.

Only thing that disturbs me is I paid 10 Euros for Mediacenter in Win8 to bring back the basic functionality
of DVD playback that was integrated in Win7. Now Media Center is gone  and I have to use VLC and the like to watch
a movie. I guess this is not Microsofts fault but the EUs who forced Microsoft into the N versions. Without Media
Player that iy.

Another thought: Win10 is free for mobile device manufacturers. Win10 is distributed free of charge for every system
 running Win7 and Win8. What is the business model?

Will Microsoft charge for new devices?

What happens if my current machine dies?

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 09:12:24 »
Airy: What Surface model is it? Are you happy with it?
Jørgen Ramskov