Gear Talk > Lens Talk

Lens haze - What cause? Is that that bad?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Erik Lund:
Please take some close up images of the issue  :D  makes it much easier to see if it's fungus or what it is. Thx

MEPER:

--- Quote from: Zang on January 14, 2021, 15:34:13 ---Hi,

Looking at the design of the lens, I do not see gluing anywhere so that is ruled out.

Cheers,
Zang

--- End quote ---

The lens is called 7 lenses in 7 groups but what about the thick lens element no. 3 from the front. Could this lens element be made of two lenses cemented together or would the lens then be 8 lenses in 7 groups?

Roland Vink:
If the thi
--- Quote from: MEPER on January 14, 2021, 21:58:39 ---The lens is called 7 lenses in 7 groups but what about the thick lens element no. 3 from the front. Could this lens element be made of two lenses cemented together or would the lens then be 8 lenses in 7 groups?

--- End quote ---
If the thick lens was two lenses cemented together it would be shown on the lens diagram and it would be 8 elements in 7 groups. It looks pretty clear the lens is just 7/7 elements/groups, with no cemented lenses.

Matthew Currie:
I've never noticed big problems from a little fungus or the like on surfaces, but some haze really seems to ruin a lens.  I had one 20/2.8D lens that developed heavy and even haze inside a glued element, and that basically killed the lens.  Images looked lousy and had no contrast.  Unfortunately the exotic glue seems not to be easy to duplicate, and a valiant attempt by a local repairman produced a nicely clean, clear lens too soft to serve.

I have a 35/2.8 "New Nikkor" that developed some kind of haze on the outside of an element inside.  Again, it was fairly even and dense, not looking like the usual stringy fungus.  That also lost a lot of contrast and quality.  But because it's the lens it is, I opened it with little more than bare hands and easily cleaned it up with plain old isopropyl alcohol and a slightly used sensor swab.  I don't worry too much about the permanence of this fix, since it's so easy to do again.

Roland Vink:

--- Quote from: Zang on January 14, 2021, 15:18:09 ---... I can't definitely tell, but it seems like they are on the outer side
... My guess this is not fungus. The affected areas are of smooth and consistent shade. They are only visible under some angle of view.

--- End quote ---
It seems like a layer of oil or something which has accumulated around the edged of the lens. A very thin layer would not affect optical properties and would only be visible at certain angles. Being at the edges it is harder to clean so may have remained after regular cleaning. If it is on the front element (outer side) I'd suggest putting a drop of lens cleaning fluid on lens cleaning tissue and try getting right into the edges of the lens. But as others have suggested, posting a picture of the affected lens would be useful.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version