Gear Talk > Lens Talk

Lens haze - What cause? Is that that bad?

(1/5) > >>

Zang:
Hi all,

I have collected tons of 'junky' lenses but I had never seen hazing issues, well, until I bought the last one which is not a junky one at all. When looking at the rear element under some specific angle, I noticed some small areas (1mm diameter) that look slightly foggy. If I change my eyes to a different angle, the element look clear again and the blotches become almost if not completely unnoticeable. Those things cannot be cleaned, for sure as I already tried. My feeling is they do not affect the picture quality in a noticeable way as they cover very small portion of the surface and they do not look bad.

Have you guys seen similar issue? What are the most common causes and is it a growing problem over time?

Cheers,
Zang

David H. Hartman:
The haze or marks, are these on the inside or outside of the lens?  is this a Nikkor lenses or other makers lens? Is the lens multi-coated or single coated?

I'll forbear guessing what this haze or these marks are until there is some clarification. Can you offer photos of the haze or marks?

Dave

MEPER:
I have an old Tessar lens for my old Contax rangefinder where there are some slight haze in between two elements that are cemented together.
This is not easy to clean. Otherwise I think haze can be cleaned if caused by e.g. lubricants that has evaporated.

David H. Hartman:
Good that I didn't guess as I would have been well away from the mark. I'm sure you get some answers soon.

Dave

oddb1ts:

--- Quote from: Zang on January 14, 2021, 06:15:32 ---Hi all,

I have collected tons of 'junky' lenses but I had never seen hazing issues, well, until I bought the last one which is not a junky one at all. When looking at the rear element under some specific angle, I noticed some small areas (1mm diameter) that look slightly foggy. If I change my eyes to a different angle, the element look clear again and the blotches become almost if not completely unnoticeable. Those things cannot be cleaned, for sure as I already tried. My feeling is they do not affect the picture quality in a noticeable way as they cover very small portion of the surface and they do not look bad.

Have you guys seen similar issue? What are the most common causes and is it a growing problem over time?

Cheers,
Zang

--- End quote ---

Hi Sound like lens separation , the glue in lens gets old and starts to separate , causing a mist or fog,  The nikon 35-70 f2.8 is bad for it , and most of the time the lens is great to use as long as you do not shoot towards the sun, this is where you will see the effect of fogging . Not sure if it is a growing problem for newer lens , but it would be for older lens.
I used to buy old lens at boot sales , some had some bad misting and cleaned up well , but some were glued and not so easy to clean and not worth the effort.  some great old lens out there..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version