Gear Talk > Lens Talk

Lens haze - What cause? Is that that bad?

<< < (5/5)

Zang:

--- Quote from: Birna Rørslett on January 16, 2021, 21:18:57 ---I would suspect early fungus, based on these pictures.

--- End quote ---

I know it is really hard to examine this by looking at the picture. These things seem to be very slightly reflective areas. When I change the angle of view just a little, the blotches disappear and the glass look clear. Even a magnifier did not show anything on the surfaces of the element. I still suspect these are coating damage caused by excessive cleaning or some very thin residue of oil (on the inside side, if it is oil).

Birna Rørslett:
The spots had a whitish appearance. Never bodes well in a lens.

Zang:
Good to know. Thanks Birna.

Zang:
For the first time, I took the lens for a test ride. I know the lens is not designed for portrait, but that was what I bought it for, mainly. The contrast and sharpness are incredible. Picture was taken hand-held in pretty low light, low contrast lighting and I believe it was 400 ISO, Sony Nex 6.

Zang:
Almost two years went by guys, but I have good update. I did not use the lens much in the period of the last two years. Today, I took it out and guys, those blotches are all gone. The glass is crystal clear. I know I said the blotches seemed to be on the external glass surface but you know that it is sometimes confusing where they actually are. My best guess is, they were from internal evaporation which evaporates again and away from the glass in dry condition.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version