Author Topic: January 2021  (Read 34404 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: January 2021
« Reply #255 on: January 22, 2021, 00:00:31 »
Akira, any comment on the umbrella ?
Airy Magnien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #256 on: January 22, 2021, 03:06:44 »
It took me > 48 hours to fully recover from the horrible MRI contrast fluid they injected me with. Just the future  mention of 'gadolinium' makes me cringe.

Today I had come to the stage of browsing through the MRI footage. No doubt I have had an alien visitor from outer space which silently burrowed into my head. Ouch. This is worse than I had anticipated.

Birna, I can only hope for the better.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #257 on: January 22, 2021, 03:29:36 »
It is not often that rains in Spain and I get to walk around with my umbrella. I´m so proud of it  :)

Hand decorated with names and a couple more things

Z6, 58mm 1.4 g fully open

Nice umbrella, Paco!

Akira, any comment on the umbrella ?

On your request.  :)

The majority of the Japanese letters are called "kata-kana" which are commonly used to write foreign words or onomatopoeia.  The red letters read "pa-co", so it is not difficult to assume that the umbrella was designed for Paco.

The letters above "pa-co" reads "a-na" which would be a female name.  Clockwise from there: "ku-ra-u" (I'm not sure what it means.  "To eat in a rather wild way", maybe? ), "do-kko-do" (again, it doesn't make any sense to me), "ni-ko-n" (there should be no need to explain!), for the next group, I cannot see the whole word. ), "u-i-chi" (seemingly a male name, but I'm not sure), "o-ru-ga" obviously refers to "bailarina fantastica" (the Japanese doesn't have the pronunciation of "L", so "L" and "R" are treated equally or confused).

The last set is written in three kanji's and one hira-gana, and reads "mu-sin-no-kokoro", which means like "a state of mind of nothingness" (hope it would make any sense).

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #258 on: January 22, 2021, 07:32:22 »
“Ku-ra-u » : Clare, maybe ?
Airy Magnien

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #259 on: January 22, 2021, 09:26:30 »

The last set is written in three kanji's and one hira-gana, and reads "mu-sin-no-kokoro", which means like "a state of mind of nothingness" (hope it would make any sense).

Zen

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #260 on: January 22, 2021, 10:21:47 »
Thanks for your concern, Paco.

Lots of strange things residing inside one's skull, that's for sure. However, the white "lump" pointed out by the red arrow should *not* be there. It is a tumor ('neuroma') on the hearing and balance nerves. Nature has not made any space available for it and accordingly, it causes -- literally -- headaches, balance impairment, and an increasing loss of hearing. If allowed to grow, it eventually becomes fatal.
Ouch, so sorry to read about this. All the best Birna!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #261 on: January 22, 2021, 10:46:27 »

Zen

Indeed, yes.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #262 on: January 22, 2021, 11:12:34 »
It is not often that rains in Spain and I get to walk around with my umbrella. I´m so proud of it  :)

Hand decorated with names and a couple more things

Z6, 58mm 1.4 g fully open
How exquisite - Custom umbrella, that's really cool  8) I'm sure many here would enjoy the rain more  ;D   
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #263 on: January 22, 2021, 11:14:12 »
It took me > 48 hours to fully recover from the horrible MRI contrast fluid they injected me with. Just the future  mention of 'gadolinium' makes me cringe.

Today I had come to the stage of browsing through the MRI footage. No doubt I have had an alien visitor from outer space which silently burrowed into my head. Ouch. This is worse than I had anticipated.

We all make best whishes for the best possible outcome here!
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #264 on: January 22, 2021, 11:27:46 »
“Ku-ra-u » : Clare, maybe ?

That should spell "クレア(ku-re-a)".

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #265 on: January 22, 2021, 11:48:07 »
Akira, you are right on all accounts. This are the names of: Olga (oruga); Clau (Kurau), short form of Claudia, for my goddaughter; Wichi (U ichi) for the latest newborn in the family; Nikon should explain itself  ;D, Ana for my mother; I´m afraid do-kko-do is a very bad phonetic translation of:  Dokkōdō (獨行道); and finally,
     mu sin no kokoro or mushin no shin (無心の心), a Zen expression meaning the mind without mind and is also referred to as the state of "no-mindness". That is, a mind not fixed or occupied by thought or emotion and thus open to everything. It have been taken from Japanese culture and translated directly into the world of arts, specially to dance, as the state of mind can be very similar, if not the same, when dancing on stage. In english it is called "to flow". Train to achieve this state of mind on stage so that a flawless execution of moves is accomplished. Or that is the idea anyway. I came in contact with this concept early in my career.
   I hope, Akira San, this is perceived with all the respect I put into it.

Just the for fact that you can read it at all I can call it a success!  ;D

Oh, and Pa-co for yours truly  8)

Nice umbrella, Paco!

On your request.  :)

The majority of the Japanese letters are called "kata-kana" which are commonly used to write foreign words or onomatopoeia.  The red letters read "pa-co", so it is not difficult to assume that the umbrella was designed for Paco.

The letters above "pa-co" reads "a-na" which would be a female name.  Clockwise from there: "ku-ra-u" (I'm not sure what it means.  "To eat in a rather wild way", maybe? ), "do-kko-do" (again, it doesn't make any sense to me), "ni-ko-n" (there should be no need to explain!), for the next group, I cannot see the whole word. ), "u-i-chi" (seemingly a male name, but I'm not sure), "o-ru-ga" obviously refers to "bailarina fantastica" (the Japanese doesn't have the pronunciation of "L", so "L" and "R" are treated equally or confused).

"To eat in a rather wild way" It is so close to home by chance...this cracked me up  ;D ;D ;D

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #266 on: January 22, 2021, 12:21:36 »

Colors of hope during inauguration day.

Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #267 on: January 22, 2021, 13:09:00 »
Akira, you are right on all accounts. This are the names of: Olga (oruga); Clau (Kurau), short form of Claudia, for my goddaughter; Wichi (U ichi) for the latest newborn in the family; Nikon should explain itself  ;D, Ana for my mother; I´m afraid do-kko-do is a very bad phonetic translation of:  Dokkōdō (獨行道); and finally,
     mu sin no kokoro or mushin no shin (無心の心), a Zen expression meaning the mind without mind and is also referred to as the state of "no-mindness". That is, a mind not fixed or occupied by thought or emotion and thus open to everything. It have been taken from Japanese culture and translated directly into the world of arts, specially to dance, as the state of mind can be very similar, if not the same, when dancing on stage. In english it is called "to flow". Train to achieve this state of mind on stage so that a flawless execution of moves is accomplished. Or that is the idea anyway. I came in contact with this concept early in my career.
   I hope, Akira San, this is perceived with all the respect I put into it.

Just the for fact that you can read it at all I can call it a success!  ;D

Oh, and Pa-co for yours truly  8)
 "To eat in a rather wild way" It is so close to home by chance...this cracked me up  ;D ;D ;D

LOL, Paco, thanks for the correction and the further explanation!  I didn't know the shortened name Clau and Dokkōdō (I don't even know how to type "ō"  ::) ::) ::) ).

Still, an explanation would be needed for the word between "ni-ko-n" and "u-i-chi".   ::)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #268 on: January 22, 2021, 13:11:02 »
Colors of hope during inauguration day.

Amazing color!

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #269 on: January 22, 2021, 13:32:53 »
LOL, Paco, thanks for the correction and the further explanation!  I didn't know the shortened name Clau and Dokkōdō (I don't even know how to type "ō"  ::) ::) ::) ).

Still, an explanation would be needed for the word between "ni-ko-n" and "u-i-chi".   ::)

As requested:
  Cuco (カッコウ/Kakkō) is my cousin. When we were teenagers he took some photography lessons in school and was one of my early contacts with the subject. We were roommates at the time of the drawing and lend me his posca paint marker... that also contributed to secure him a spot in the umbrella  :) He did post some images here in NG https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=8921.msg147696#msg147696 post #122