Author Topic: Petzval ... ????  (Read 13340 times)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Petzval ... ????
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2015, 13:14:50 »
Yes Michael, a little more provocation of the highlights - Bright point light sources will do it.
Erik Lund

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2015, 14:34:48 »
Well, it looks like many lenses will give us a good bokeh effect, provided that I shoot wide open, and for the most part stack the images. Using higher apertures does not improve the effect. So I will need to use a lens that is very sharp wide-open, fast, and stack the images.

I can’t get the little-swirly effect, and I doubt that I will order a Petzval, just because it (for all its beauty) seems like a hassle for my work flow. Then again, I might. I bet that my friend Klaus Schmitt may have some suggestions for getting exotic effects from various lenses.

The images here are on the Nikon D810:

El Nikor APO 105mm on the Nikon PB-4 Bellows
The CRT-Nikor mounted on a rail.
The Zeiss Otus 55mm APO just on the Nikon.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2015, 16:14:40 »
it you want swirly bokeh, try the Helios 44.
I just got mine (20€). Not really sharp at least when combined with the Lens Turbo II on Fuji, but quite fun to play with.
It is probably a gimmick but definitely something nice to have in one's arsenal.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2015, 16:25:10 »
Ohh man ... my finger was on the trigger for the Petzval ... and now you show me this.  ... Looks acceptable sharp to me. Do you know how much more unsharp the Helios 44 is compared to the unsharp Petzval? If I just use an empty adaptor ... will I gain any additional sharpness?
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2015, 16:49:13 »
Sorry Gary, I can't answer your questions. I don't have an empty adaptor ready for M42 and can't compare to Petzval which I've never seen.
From what I have read the Helios is supposed to be very sharp, with major variations from sample to sample.
But given the price, the risk is minimal!
I read the 44-2 (which I have) gives the best swirl, the later productions were sharper though.

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2015, 17:06:13 »
Sorry Gary, I can't answer your questions. I don't have an empty adaptor ready for M42 and can't compare to Petzval which I've never seen.
From what I have read the Helios is supposed to be very sharp, with major variations from sample to sample.
But given the price, the risk is minimal!
I read the 44-2 (which I have) gives the best swirl, the later productions were sharper though.

Okay ... that's it!  I'm having a lens party. All you photogs with cool lens ... my house, next Saturday, BBQ, Wine, Beer, bring your lenses for moi to examine and try. (I'd have it tomorrow but I need to get some adaptors.)

PM me your RSVP and I'll respond accordingly.

PS- I make great BBQ and I have some quite nice California wines. I'll toss in some real Mexican food ... which for all you European types, will truly be a treat ... and maybe some Mariachis to add some spice to the evening.  ;)

G     
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2015, 17:32:50 »
looking for flights...
Well, maybe I'll be in your area next summer, this would be a good opportunity!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2015, 17:40:10 »
The Speed Booster adapter makes for more sharpness:) image is condensed so to say. There is a Whitepaper by Brian Caldwell
http://www.metabones.com/assets/a/stories/Speed%20Booster%20White%20Paper.pdf
Not sure the 'copy' can do that though as extreme precision is required.
Erik Lund

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2015, 18:02:32 »
You are right of course, Erik. But given what I am after here, it doesn't really matter!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2015, 18:04:27 »
I agree completely!!!
Erik Lund

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2015, 19:34:41 »
looking for flights...
Well, maybe I'll be in your area next summer, this would be a good opportunity!

YES!

Björn Carlén

• NG Member
  • Errare humanum est
    • flickr
« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2015, 13:25:33 »
Since there is a Petzval thread, I can't resist sharing this one:
Björn Carlén
Huddinge, Sweden

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #72 on: September 28, 2015, 10:21:52 »
I posted 9 images in this thread
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,1595.msg17154.html#msg17154
All Shot with 40-2 the 85mm f/1.5 Zenith Lens belongs to Jakov, thank you for the opportunity to tr it out!
Erik Lund

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2015, 12:04:05 »
Since there is a Petzval thread, I can't resist sharing this one:

outworldly beautiful.- Thank you!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #74 on: September 28, 2015, 12:08:13 »
Okay ... that's it!  I'm having a lens party. All you photogs with cool lens ... my house, next Saturday, BBQ, Wine, Beer, bring your lenses for moi to examine and try. (I'd have it tomorrow but I need to get some adaptors.)
PM me your RSVP and I'll respond accordingly.
PS- I make great BBQ and I have some quite nice California wines. I'll toss in some real Mexican food ... which for all you European types, will truly be a treat ... and maybe some Mariachis to add some spice to the evening.  ;)
G     

I will come and bring my children (and hopefully my wife if her employer allows) but this will not be before Easter 2016 out of many reasons. I had hoped to close an important deal earlier but this will probably not be the case.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/