Author Topic: December 2020  (Read 32665 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: December 2020
« Reply #180 on: December 17, 2020, 12:40:24 »
Can you at least perform publicly ? here, the few professional musicians and actors I know are unnerved by the continuing impossibility to get on stage even at 1/4 capacity, while for some "reason" priests can still invite worshippers to mass (and, since churches have mostly become oversized, the capacity reduction is not even reducing attendance).

Yes.  The live houses and concert halls offer live performances at 1/2 of their capacities or with the enough amount of social distances.  Temples and shrines advise the public to visit there for the beginning of the year as sporadically as possible.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #181 on: December 17, 2020, 16:20:50 »
Ordered (on a whim, admittedly) months ago, the 11mm f/4.5 Laowa FF II C-Dreamer in native Z-mount arrived today. As it was raining outside and the lens has an impressive 126(!) degrees view, the first test shots were conducted indoors.

I used the Laowa on my PrimaLuce Z5 and it turned out quite nice results. In fact, better than anticipated as least as central image sharpness is concerned. Apparently the optical design is sophisticated enough to avoid most of the nasty chromatic aberrations so often found with wide-angle lenses. There is vignetting wide open, as expected, and peripheral sharpness does decline substantially. However, with judicious use such shortcomings might not be too significant. On the positive merit side, the lens is very small, almost too tiny to be handled by large hands. Erik my Danish friend would be in troubles ... The field curvature is surprisingly low and geometric distortion (at distance) is negligible as well. Occasionally, "moustache" distortion is visible. For close-ups, to a near limit at 19cm, barrel distortion creeps in however.

Used for "selfie"-style shots, the Laowa renders a "lobster claw" view as one's hands become excessively large due to the huge angle of view and the rectilinear projection. So, unless you are into test shooting, don't do like what I did for the shot below :) Slow shutter speed at 1/5 sec and no focusing provided just bearable (sic) image definition...

(colours are of course way off, as the PrimaLuce Z5 is full-spectrum and I used no corrective filtration. However, my hair and dress colours came out with acceptable likeness).

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #182 on: December 17, 2020, 16:46:30 »
Ordered (on a whim, admittedly) months ago, the 11mm f/4.5 Laowa FF II C-Dreamer in native Z-mount arrived today. As it was raining outside and the lens has an impressive 126(!) degrees view, the first test shots were conducted indoors.

I used the Laowa on my PrimaLuce Z5 and it turned out quite nice results. In fact, better than anticipated as least as central image sharpness is concerned. Apparently the optical design is sophisticated enough to avoid most of the nasty chromatic aberrations so often found with wide-angle lenses. There is vignetting wide open, as expected, and peripheral sharpness does decline substantially. However, with judicious use such shortcomings might not be too significant. On the positive merit side, the lens is very small, almost too tiny to be handled by large hands. Erik my Danish friend would be in troubles ... The field curvature is surprisingly low and geometric distortion (at distance) is negligible as well. Occasionally, "moustache" distortion is visible. For close-ups, to a near limit at 19cm, barrel distortion creeps in however.

Used for "selfie"-style shots, the Laowa renders a "lobster claw" view as one's hands become excessively large due to the huge angle of view and the rectilinear projection. So, unless you are into test shooting, don't do like what I did for the shot below :) Slow shutter speed at 1/5 sec and no focusing provided just bearable (sic) image definition...

(colours are of course way off, as the PrimaLuce Z5 is full-spectrum and I used no corrective filtration. However, my hair and dress colours came out with acceptable likeness).

IMpressive image.  A walk-in closet (?) looks like a decent dining room.  :)  I've never heard of "lobster claw view", but that makes perfect sense!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #183 on: December 17, 2020, 17:21:24 »
It's the entrance to my apartment.

As the Laowa certainly delivered better than I had expected, after all the lens is not *that* expensive, I might write up a review of it. My main reason for getting it, apart from weighting what use such extreme wide-angle lenses might provide for my IR camera, was the curiosity of the optical products Chinese makers now bring to the market. I already have the Laowa 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra-Macro and the 100mm f/2.8 2X  macro lens. In particular the former has seen very extensive use in my aquatic macrophyte study the last years. The Laowa lenses so far seem to be very good value, very well built, and have adequate to excellent handling of colour issues. Unfortunately they come without a CPU chip and thus the EXIF data is incomplete. I do have managed to get a CPU in the 25/2.8 ultra-Macro and if the Covid situation improves, in the future will ask Erik in Copenhagen to help me adapt the 100/2.8 for CPU as well. The 11mm in Z mount would require an entirely different CPU design, and I'm not willing to invest resources into getting a new solution for the Z mounts.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #184 on: December 17, 2020, 18:46:36 »
December 14

Santa fallen from the sky

Df, 28mm f/1.4E

Santa Claus is not a Dutch tradition its foreign, we have sinterklaas, although christianized, has pagan roots and is about 3 wks earlier in the month. Also the character is quite different, for you astrologers sinterklaas is within the archer, santa falls at wintersolstice and so is waterhorse or goat. (sagittarius vs capricorn)!

very nice composition
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #185 on: December 17, 2020, 18:47:19 »
December 16

Compost
D3s, 70-200mm f/2.8

love it!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #186 on: December 17, 2020, 19:48:36 »
A decorated tree close to a bicycle track

Z7  24-70/2.8

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #187 on: December 17, 2020, 21:05:34 »
Thank you Frank!

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #188 on: December 17, 2020, 21:34:08 »
A moment in Shibuya, Tokyo.

I was hoping to be in Japan this New Years, but alas.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #189 on: December 17, 2020, 22:14:19 »
tree-ripened, 55mm f/1.2 AI

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #190 on: December 17, 2020, 22:43:12 »
It's the entrance to my apartment.

As the Laowa certainly delivered better than I had expected, after all the lens is not *that* expensive, I might write up a review of it. My main reason for getting it, apart from weighting what use such extreme wide-angle lenses might provide for my IR camera, was the curiosity of the optical products Chinese makers now bring to the market. I already have the Laowa 25mm f/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra-Macro and the 100mm f/2.8 2X  macro lens. In particular the former has seen very extensive use in my aquatic macrophyte study the last years. The Laowa lenses so far seem to be very good value, very well built, and have adequate to excellent handling of colour issues. Unfortunately they come without a CPU chip and thus the EXIF data is incomplete. I do have managed to get a CPU in the 25/2.8 ultra-Macro and if the Covid situation improves, in the future will ask Erik in Copenhagen to help me adapt the 100/2.8 for CPU as well. The 11mm in Z mount would require an entirely different CPU design, and I'm not willing to invest resources into getting a new solution for the Z mounts.

The super wideangle lens make look the room really indistinguishable!  Unfortunately, Nikon doesn't seem to offer an Ai-P-like solution...

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #191 on: December 17, 2020, 22:45:48 »
I was hoping to be in Japan this New Years, but alas.

I was looking forward to seeing you again in August, too.

tree-ripened, 55mm f/1.2 AI

Looks quite Japanese.  I wonder how much the persimmon fruit is popular in the States.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #192 on: December 17, 2020, 22:47:31 »
Early morning gradient.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #193 on: December 17, 2020, 23:01:19 »
Early morning gradient.

Also looks very Japanese

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #194 on: December 17, 2020, 23:40:07 »
A magic time of day - a just reward for you as an early riser!  :)

(A Scottish quote:  "It is nice to get up in the morning, but it is nicer to lie in bed" - but you are not a Scot, so you got the shot! .  :) )

Early morning gradient.
Hugh Gunn