Author Topic: Saying goodbye to Df...  (Read 7483 times)

PeterN

• NG Member
Re: Saying goodbye to Df...
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2020, 09:03:37 »
Beautifully bright and colourful image.

I fully agree with Luc. Wonderful and colorful.
Peter

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2020, 09:05:43 »
Would fine-tuning of the color profile help ?
With the Df, it is true that I never felt like changing the balance, opposite to the D800 for instance.

Interesting. What raw converter did/do you use?
Peter

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2020, 11:56:36 »
With the D800, I used Lightroom + a custom profile.
Since I use the Df, I mostly use Capture NX-D and need tune nothing, except monitors that are usually too warm.
Airy Magnien

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2020, 12:14:58 »
The Df NEFs rarely need extensive post-processing. Mostly I just do a slight noise reduction if shooting at high ISO settings. The colours are "spot on" either with Photo Ninja or NX-D. In fact, one is getting a little spoiled by the camera output.

Imagelover

• Teacher to minority speaking people in Norway
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2020, 13:20:27 »
Thanks, PeterN.
One picture taken is far better than none!

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2020, 15:53:16 »
The Df NEFs rarely need extensive post-processing. Mostly I just do a slight noise reduction if shooting at high ISO settings. The colours are "spot on" either with Photo Ninja or NX-D. In fact, one is getting a little spoiled by the camera output.

With the D800, I used Lightroom + a custom profile.Since I use the Df, I mostly use Capture NX-D and need tune nothing, except monitors that are usually too warm.

Thank you. That is good to know. I switched to Capture One and noticed quite a difference with LR. Is it possible to send me a df raw file (eg via PM) to check the difference? Please ignore if I am asking too much.
Peter

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2020, 16:10:16 »
I can send you a download link to raw files.What kind of subject(s) ?
Airy Magnien

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2020, 16:31:03 »
I can send you a download link to raw files.What kind of subject(s) ?

Whatever you like and is representative of the Df’s capabilities w.r.t. color rendering
Peter

Akshay

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2020, 16:34:29 »
I only use Capture NX-D.

For the Df, i had custom WB with a magenta bias as I felt auto wb was a giving be a slight green tint and my picture profile was set to Portrait. With the NEFs i just adjusted the WB if required and added a marginal S curve or bit more contrast to the skin occasionally.

Now i can't match the output of the Z6 portrait  profile with Df portrait profile. Z6 has a yellow bias i feel.As a result i m constantly cooling wb down a bit more to get rid of the yellow tint in skin and skewed the tint in profile colour towards red. In the end, I made peace with it and was okay with where i got to by just adjusting the profiles and would say it is good enough but not magical like the Df.  :)

Major disclaimer here - My focus of comparison has been skin tones and that of my pet subject - my toddler.

chambeshi

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2020, 16:12:11 »
Considering the camera was designed to reflect the guild of much loved SLRs of the 1980s etc (FM2, FE2, FA, F3 etc), then where was the split K-type focusing screen? At least it could have been sold as an accessory. The 3rd party option was/is not cheap and was a mission to get. I also found the front control dial weird. At the price most punters expected more modern features for their money, notably the AF engine. There are other conspicuous features missing/wrong on the Df, which is why I sold mine to fund a Z7. 

There is a lot Nikon got right in the Df, however. My Df served me well, including for wildlife photography in poorer light. Since 2014 (in my case circa 2016) a Used Df is still the most cost effective means to shoot with a D4 sensor, which has seriously underrated IQ IME. And the AF worked in most scenes but became increasingly shown up by newer DSLRs. However, this goes to show how almost all modern cameras work well in most situations, especially with experience going back well into the film era. With recent introductory discount, I invested in a D780 primarily for its Z6 sensor, which is excellent for lowlight up to ISO 12800, and also works well in silent-shooting.

As many agree, the camera has its fans but here again with a promising product, it's clear Nikon did not listen let alone respond timeously with a refined upgrade of the Df. This interview suggests Mr Goto believed he knew best, unfortunately
https://nikonrumors.com/2017/09/15/new-interview-with-tetsuro-goto-from-nikon-full-frame-is-the-trend-if-nikon-will-go-mirrorless-it-must-be-full-frame.aspx/

If you have access to Nikon Owners Magazine (No 66, 2019) they published a long interview with Goto-San [PDF attached], around his retirement in June 2019. Goto confirmed the Nikon Df stands as his personal project "My favourite camera is the Nikon Df. My thoughts were what sort of camera would I want to buy and own for myself? So I designed, planned and persuaded many of our staff members to [create] the Df. That is why I like the Df so much; it is my favourite!"

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2020, 21:58:29 »
Supposedly Nikon had planned a Df2 but then reallocated those resources to the Z camera development. Given the severe contraction of the camera market and Nikon's lateness in developing serious mirrorless cameras, this was probably something where they really had no choice at that point.  Actually, they did have the choice to make serious mirrorless cameras earlier, before their sales went down so much, and that would have given them more leeway in allocating some funds to side projects like a Df2.

I'd love to see an F3-sized Df2 with manual focus only and a monochrome 24MP sensor (backlit but no PDAF pixels), but I don't expect to ever see that happen.

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2020, 18:32:03 »
Keeping mine, but then I still have d70s too!!

How about a Zf Nikon??

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2020, 20:19:24 »

I'd love to see an F3-sized Df2 with manual focus only and a monochrome 24MP sensor (backlit but no PDAF pixels), but I don't expect to ever see that happen.

How many such hobbled bodies do you think Nikon would sell light of current fodies having the ability to be operated manually, and produce monochrome images as well? Nobody is being forced to use AF, or shoot color, AFAIK, or did I miss something? 
Carl

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2020, 22:07:11 »
The only reason for a native monochrome- Sensor would be better sharpness, contrast (like Leica is claiming for its M Monocrom)

For me a Zf would not make sense, because the Df's niche is also a question of style - and its a retro style linked to SLR
Wolfgang Rehm

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2020, 22:24:25 »
The only reason for a native monochrome- Sensor would be better sharpness, contrast (like Leica is claiming for its M Monocrom)

For me a Zf would not make sense, because the Df's niche is also a question of style - and its a retro style linked to SLR

I see, thanks.
Carl