Author Topic: Meeting Ivone and Thomas Stellwag in Den Haag  (Read 10749 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Meeting Ivone and Thomas Stellwag in Den Haag
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2020, 15:05:17 »
Good to see that there is interest!

Following steps:
- Thomas to post links of where we are going to stay and the sites of interest;
- We confirm the destination, and say: Thank you Thomas, it looks rather interesting and we would love to see this area;
- Birna, Erik and JA will pick a week in September. They apologise in advance if the week they choose doesn't suit all, but from experience, as we all know, impossible to suit all.

Looking forward to seeing you all!
For now, the list is:

1. Thomas and Ivonne;
2. Jakov;
3. Bruno Schroder;
4. Bent and his wife;
5. Paco;
6. MOS DEF Akira;
7. Birna;
8. Erik;
9. John Geerts.

Yours, Jakov

Oh, sorry for the confusion.  Due to my family related circumstances, I won't be able to attend this kind of gathering for any foreseeable future.

Hope you enjoy it!

By the way, NG online meeting using Skype or similar should be doable, I guess?!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2020, 18:28:15 »
Jakov,
Looks like a great idea.I am very interested so count me in. But..I can't commit 100% yet. It also depends on things like travel restrictions.
Peter

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2020, 08:28:26 »
The list is open to all.
Let's wait for Thomas to provide us with more info, especially on the accommodation, then we can set the limit.
Of course, we live in crazy times and it is difficult to commit to anything given the travel restrictions and precautionary measures that change daily from country to country.
I sure hope we do meet-up and i think that we should organise some sort of a tele-conference with the other members that couldn't join, especially with MOS DEF Akira aka Mr Cloud!

Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2020, 09:46:08 »
I'm not keen on traveling anywhere far this year, but since this is planned to be in my vicinity, I'm definitely interested as well!
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

ianwatson

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2020, 14:58:31 »
I will be with you in spirit. Especially if that spirit is single malt scotch whisky  :D

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2020, 14:03:15 »
The list is open to all.
Let's wait for Thomas to provide us with more info, especially on the accommodation, then we can set the limit.
Of course, we live in crazy times and it is difficult to commit to anything given the travel restrictions and precautionary measures that change daily from country to country.
I sure hope we do meet-up and i think that we should organise some sort of a tele-conference with the other members that couldn't join, especially with MOS DEF Akira aka Mr Cloud!

Thank you so much, Jakov, for taking the online possibility into account!  I won't urge you but am looking forward to the opportunity to speak with the NG members!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bruno Schroder

• NG Supporter
  • Future is the only way forward
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2020, 14:51:32 »
Setting up an online meeting is rather easy provided we agree on a timing that accommodates the time zones of the participants and we agree on the media. Zoom would require an organiser having all participant's emails for the invitation. Max call is 40 minutes for up to 100 participants.
Bruno Schröder

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2020, 16:30:42 »
thanks Jakov for starting the discussion about a possible NG meeting (picture for comparison will follow)
...and Fons showing me with a Belgian cap in the Netherlands...

the area is explained here https://www.bodensee.eu/en
It is sometimes difficult to find leaflets or flyers in an unknown language, as the are even proud "of beeing able to get everything done except speaking German". In this English brochure - you already see 3 projects, I would propose: Rhine Falls for testing your equipment, Island Mainau for finding duckweed deluxe, Zeppelin Museum https://www.zeppelin-museum.de/en. You do not fly in a Zeppelin, you drive. Friedrichshafen could be done by a boat trip f.e.
This would cover the west part of the lake and include Jakov´s favourite, the town Konstanz. I like Konstanz very much as well, especially its fountains https://www.peter-lenk.de/skulpturen/baden-wuerttemberg/konstanz/triumphbogen.html. Furthermore there would be the old village, (re)built into water from 5K till 1K before Christ  "Pfahlbauten Unteruhldingen"  https://www.pfahlbauten.de/ In this area, I would try to get accomodation. Hagnau (village) is know for its wine, so for the ones interested we might ask for a wine tasting.
Nearby and as an optional visit, is a museum for corroded screws https://autoundtraktor.museum/ with a lot of decorations and small things around the time of the usage of those machines. The advantage is, it has a big restaurant with good food and fair prices, so the group, splitting depending on interests could either take their VR fluids immediately or go and see the museum before.
On a lake there are boats and smaller vessels, as they are here https://www.bsb.de/en Fortunately they have an English page. There you can see, we are at spring/autums or after season shedules. I do not find the famous Jazz steamboat and the Spaghetti Boat trips, most obvioulsly canceled and difficult to book for a group you do not know the number of people. A boat trip is something i always enjoy and should be in "your option folder".

Now coming to the difficult aspects: travelling to the region is possible but not so easy, the next bigger airport is Stuttgart, taking Intercity from there. Getting accomodation for a group is the task. It is still holiday time and Corona time. Corona means they cannot rent out all rooms and they cannot make breakfast buffet. It has all to be ordered before, or you go outside and get it in a bakery. Do we want to go to hotel, pension or holiday house?
For a serious planning, lets say we take a weekend end of september or in the beginning of october (3rd is a holiday in Germany, so no trucks on the roads around the lake), I need to know a circa number of participants. Furthermore I need a choice, after having a look on the brochure in link 1, if you prefer East (Bavaria / Austria / Switzerland) or West  - my initial proposal - (Baden Würtemberg / Switzerland) part of the lake. This defines our basis of living. Then I need to know who wants single room.
As an indication: my cousin, she runs a small pension with 4 rooms, just told me at the phone that end of september, beginning of october might be possible to find 10-15 pension rooms in the village of Uhldingen.

Thomas Stellwag

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2020, 00:36:44 »
Single room, location anywhere as logn as duckweeds are around :) I am flexible ....

End of Sept./beginning of October would suit me just fine.

Are there alternate air ports from which one can use a train to arrive at the NG hot spot?

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2020, 08:58:23 »
I’m traveling through September 22, and again from October 6 on. So the slot might be narrow. Your spot is 300km and 3 hours drive from where I live.

Birna, maybe you should consider Zürich and then train or car from there. The distance from Zürich Airport (ZRH) to Uhldingen is 110 km; 1h15 by car; 2h47 by train and 3h11 by using train and boat ferry. This is a much better option than Stuttgart I believe.

An excellent smartphone travel planning tool I recommend is Rome2rio
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2020, 09:32:04 »
Choosing Zurich should provide better air connectivity to Oslo, thanks for the info.

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2020, 15:05:40 »
thanks MFloyd for mentioning Zürich as a possible Airport.   It is even better than Stuttgart, regarding traffic in the Air and on the road.

another possibility , I forgot as well:  https://www.bodensee-airport.eu/    they have flights to the hub Frankfurt and then all international connections

please check with your airline, if Friedrichshafen is working again or if it is "before Corona info", I get from there

Thomas Stellwag

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2020, 21:23:00 »
Wow, Thomas, what a boatload of information!

End of September should work for me (still have to get travel and budget approved by the CFO), i'll be driving in from the South of NL. I'd like a single room.

Once we have the final dates set, i can start to lock things down at work and in private. Looking forward to it!
Hans Cremers

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2020, 19:42:32 »
We do need to agree on a suitable time slot. I suggest Friday 25 Sept and perhaps up to max. 1 week further -- for those free to join for an extended period. That will leave us with a common weekend for NG meet-up and enjoyment.

Other suggestions, please come forward with them.

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2020, 21:32:22 »
Thomas is showing off his Leica M10, and he will post a better image than this phone image...

...I doubt it is better and Jakov is skilled enough to use a pole position in angle and a position for his machine  ;D
but....after several beers and a whisky with manual 28mm F8 and ISO 20k my result is not the worst case,
you all can see, I took at least the lens cap off

Thomas Stellwag