Author Topic: Z6 port covers  (Read 3741 times)

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Z6 port covers
« on: April 05, 2020, 09:03:11 »
The port covers on my Z6 are reluctant to stay closed it seems as though these “rubber” covers are too big for an effective fit! I’m wondering how the weather protection is affected when the cover doesn’t fit properly?
Not sure if the Z7 is also affected?
To my engineering trained eyes this is another triumph of design over practicality, it seems it just ain’t right!
Any thoughts please as this is potentially spoiling an otherwise superb camera, and bloody annoying!
Nikon Z7, 24-70mm f4, 14-30, 35, 50,  85.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Z6 port covers
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 09:33:31 »
Sorry to hear. Mine doesn't. I constantly open and close them for hdmi output, mic and headphones. I did cut the botton cover closer to the back to fit the foolography device and still be able to close the rest, it shouldn't make any difference. I'm curious to learn from others experience.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 09:44:23 »
they probably swelled...a nikon trademark :o :o :o

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 09:47:07 »
Put your camera on an L bracket and forget the covers. They are mainly a nuisance. Like Paco, I cut away the flap over the USB connector to get a proper fit for my Foolography GPS. Were I to use the other ports on a regular basis, I'd cut away those rubber flaps as well.

On my main UV camera, D3200, all flaps are gone long time ago. By my design not by wear. Never had any practical issue from that.

The crucial point is the L bracket that offers more protection to the camera than thin rubber.

Rick: swollen rubber, now that is an exciting notion about cameras :)

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 09:59:09 »
No problem on mine, but it was bought in January. Have started to use a remote on my Z6, but still no problem in closing the rubber after use.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 10:26:04 »
Actually i had a card error on the Z6 today, i formatted it the problem seems to be solved for now. Besides i have two xqd cards now that show damages on the plastic casing, chipped off, never had that issue even with the flimsy sd's.

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2020, 10:32:27 »
Birna, that seems a little extreme! Another problem at the moment is that Nikon UK has shut its repair facility due to Coronavirus and is only offering a telephone service!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 10:36:41 »
Actually i had a card error on the Z6 today, i formatted it the problem seems to be solved for now. Besides i have two xqd cards now that show damages on the plastic casing, chipped off, never had that issue even with the flimsy sd's.

Never had any card error with my various Z6/Z7 (and D500) despite heavy use for years. However, the earliest XQD cards I purchased were Lexars and one of them shows casing damage in front. The Sony cards are still pristine.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 10:48:48 »
No problems with the flaps on my Z7 from September 2018. But I only occasionally open them eg for charging through USB-C.

The damage on XQD cards, is it because of the camera or a specific XQD reader?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 11:22:50 »
More likely, bad fit on the plastic wrapping of the cards themselves.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 12:04:18 »
A lexar 64gb and a sony 64gb card both show damage on the casing, a faulty sony xqd card reader, first the lexar card got jammed inside the sony reader had to pry it out, 2nd card reader a lexar the spring eject didnt hold and the z6 cardslot didnt hold either, i shook them out properly for possible dirt etc., so that card shows damage also, but the cards work now inside the Z6 and the lexar reader.
(Have a 3rd card a sony 120gb i use in the d850, which is fine). Expensive joke >:(

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 16:22:56 »
No problems with my Nikon Z6. 

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 09:06:55 »
I think I know the cause of my loose port covers, and it seems the when the covers are handled there is some stretching going on and I’m sure heat from ones hands also have an effect! This makes the covers not fit properly.
Because this morning my cover is snugly back where it should be!
Hooray
Nikon made a very poor choice of material for these cover! The thought of having to send my camera for repair at this time filled me with dread! I’m still of the opinion that this choice by Nikon spoils what is a superb little machine.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2020, 12:08:27 »
A lexar 64gb and a sony 64gb card both show damage on the casing, a faulty sony xqd card reader, first the lexar card got jammed inside the sony reader had to pry it out, 2nd card reader a lexar the spring eject didnt hold and the z6 cardslot didnt hold either, i shook them out properly for possible dirt etc., so that card shows damage also, but the cards work now inside the Z6 and the lexar reader.
(Have a 3rd card a sony 120gb i use in the d850, which is fine). Expensive joke >:(

This makes the argument for a 2nd cardslot all the more vital, even with a sd card as backup the expensive xqd card can remain in-camera.

iSaff

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2020, 13:27:01 »
I think I know the cause of my loose port covers, and it seems the when the covers are handled there is some stretching going on and I’m sure heat from ones hands also have an effect! This makes the covers not fit properly.
Because this morning my cover is snugly back where it should be!
Hooray
Nikon made a very poor choice of material for these cover! The thought of having to send my camera for repair at this time filled me with dread! I’m still of the opinion that this choice by Nikon spoils what is a superb little machine.
I'm having the same issue with the mic. port flap on my Z6, which I only noticed yesturday. Do you mind explaining what you did? Did you leave the flap off or half on? I'm sorry for the belated message, but i'm at my wits' end.