Author Topic: What Digital Camera?  (Read 852 times)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: What Digital Camera?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2024, 23:37:46 »
Started with small kodak cameras that allowed manual mode, jpg only

my pentax film camera was failing

Eventually got a nikon d40 and I started using raw

the rest is history

My experience is very similar. I started with a sony dsc-w5 I bought specifically for a trip to India. A graphic designer friend so saw the images and encouraged me to get a real camera: nikon d200. He also gave me the first lessons. Thank you Mario!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2024, 02:34:01 »
My first DSLR was Nikon D2H because it could shoot both in IR and UV.  I decided to invest in this highest-end model after reading Brna's classic naturfotograf.com.

I remember Birna revealed that even the image quality of D1 with a "lowly" 2.73MP APS-C sensor could be at least on par with that of the 135-size Kodak E100VS film:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/D1_review.html#top

Around at that time, I was experimenting with a Hasselblad 6x6 body with Fuji RTPII film for UV, but I totally abandoned 135-size film camera.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Snoogly

• NG Supporter
  • Flipping the bird
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2024, 06:49:12 »
Mine was a Canon G1. I loved that jangly thing, and even bought a wooden grip.

https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/dcc463.html

Richard Hawking (not Richard Haw!), in Tokyo

KenP

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2024, 12:09:06 »
Some very interesting replies. Seems just Roland continues to shoot film. Do any of you have an interest or would return to film of any format? Short of a particular aesthetic, there is probably no reason to do so. I did play a bit with film growing up as my Dad had a Polaroid Land Camera in the late 60's. Not much since and still own an older D2xs that I have not shot much since my kids have grown.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2024, 13:04:45 »
I am quite sure I will never return to film.
Life is too short for that. The money saved I can use for good wine, new lenses etc........

KenP

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2024, 13:59:49 »
Makes sense in terms of cost though there is nothing inexpensive about digital technology. I have not purchased anything since the D2xs and that I got for cheap as it was quite a few generations old by then. Since I do not shoot much these days, the only consideration for me would be to buy a smaller camera.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2024, 14:10:44 »
We are a very small group of people that use "real" cameras to take photos.
I wonder if you take all images shot in a period of time. Which percentage are shot using a phone or another Android or IOS device?
My guess is 99.99 % or more. I think it is more but don't know how many "9" no need after the ".".

Ian Watson

• NG Supporter
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2024, 16:07:01 »
Seems just Roland continues to shoot film. Do any of you have an interest or would return to film of any format?

I was happily developing and printing my own black-and-white film until 2013. The camera was a Nikon F100, although an F2A came out to play once in a while. Then my new fiancĂ© (and now lovely wife) asked if I could take family photographs in colour. That pretty much meant going digital. A search for a used D700 led to a refurbished D3  :) After discovering the joys of editing and enhancing digital images, I have never looked back.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2024, 21:12:38 »
Bought a Coolpix 4500 (follow up of 950) in 2003
from this day on I noticed that I am more and more tended to shoot digital
I decided to wait -and buy a Coolscan 5000
D2 Series appeared to expensive, considered D100 but it was lacking metering support for non CPUlenses
Then  in 2006 the D200 that indeed supported old lenses was my first digigal SLR body. Two years later the D700 made me go full-format.
Wolfgang Rehm

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2024, 06:55:05 »
When I first had access to 24x36 interchangeable lens cameras, I liked the color and "sharpness" of Kodachrome, plus that was what the great color photojournalist/artists of the day like Ernst Haas and Harry Gruyeart used. 
Alas, Kodak stopped processing Kodachrome in the late 1980's---first nail in the coffin.  Then Kodak stopped making it---end of the line. I was not happy with Ektachrome 100 or Fuji E-6 films. 
The D200 was the first 'affordable' interchangeable lens Nikon digital camera. Got D200 in 2006, D2Xs in 2007.  Alas, the D3 (2007 release, 2008 to buy in the store) came out and DX went away for me.
Digital meant the freedom to shoot unlimited quantities of shots.  Comparing the per frame cost of E-6 film plus processing against the cost of purchasing and then shooting the same number of frames on 2 D3 bodies, the two D3 bodies "payed for themselves" within about 1.5 years.
I still have a fascination for the look of very large format film such as 8x10.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA