Author Topic: Wedding photography NEF or JPEG etc.?  (Read 716 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Wedding photography NEF or JPEG etc.?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2024, 23:10:17 »
ND2 is two stops, so factor 4X. ND4 is 4 stops, so factor 16X.

The alternate designation is using optical density. OD 3 = 1000X.

For my Rodenstock & Rayxar 50mm f/0.75 lenses I tend to use ND8 filters, which is 8 stops or 256X, on the little Z30 with its 1/4000sec max. shutterspeed. Without filter it is nearly impossible to use these lenses on that camera.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2024, 23:22:47 »
I see......optical density.

I think ND4 may be a good compromise when I only get one type.
The fastest lens I have in 52mm is the 58/1.2 Noct, in 62mm is the Z 50/1.8 and 77mm is the AF 85/1.4D.

It seems Z50 max. shutter speed is 1/4000 both mechanical and electronic. I think some models have higher max. shutter speed when using the electronic shutter?
But anyway......probably best to always use the mechanical shutter unless total silence is needed?
Electronic shutter speed can show some strange "artifacts"?
Of course another advantage using the electronic shutter is that it will be less prone to break?
I wonder if the "click" statistics only count mechanical shutter use......or maybe both. I have never noticed where in the menu to look for that.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2024, 01:11:19 »
It seems when Hoya calls a filter ND4, then it is a 2-stop filter (they write that on the box).
So confusing with so many terms to describe a ND-filter. So ND4 is x4.
We will see if 2-stops is enough.....

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2024, 22:16:24 »
Because of the ease of converting RAW files in bulk to JPG I never change my image quality from NEF Lossless, maximum resolution to anything else. It's too easy to forget and shoot with the wrong settings at a later date. Another issue is I never give or show decidedly unflattering images of any person to anyone. I would review the images quickly and cull any really bad shots, then convert the NEF in bulk.

The most important thing(s) I can think of is carry extra batteries both for camera and flash. I once had damaged NiMH batteries mixed in a group and had no time to sort them out. These were AA batteries for flash so I switch to new alkaline batteries. That saved my ass. Carry more memory cards than you think you will need! You won't have time during a wedding to cull bad shots.

I wonder about the SB-400? I don't think it's powerful enough to use with a diffuser. With a high ISO it can be bounced off a low white ceiling in a small room. It's good for raw fill with back lite subjects in day light at close range. I don't think it will cope with an ND filter. The SB-400 is extremely convenient to carry when flash is not a priority but it's a low power flash and very close to the lens of red eye can be a problem. Any SB-800 or 900/910 would be a better choice. Diffusers are over rated for on camera flash in my experience except at very close range, e.g. macro/micro photography. I frequently use a STO-FEN type cap a 1 meter or less and never at a distance of more than 1.5 meters.

Anyway I recommend extra memory cards and extra batteries for both camera and flash and a full size speedlight.

Best,

Dave

Edit: 950 SHB 910

I own several SB-800(s) an SB-700 and an SB-400
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2024, 09:23:37 »
Thank you for the info.
Good idea with a more powerful flash.
I have negotiated a price for a 2nd hand SB-910. 160 Euro incl. shipping was ok I think for a nice looking one (the one attached).
It will be shipped today.
My SB-28 / 80DX is a bit more complicated to use as they should run in "computer mode (flash needs to know ISO/aperture)". Camera needs to run in Aperture-mode which I always do anyway.

So with 910 attached from a distance outdoor I can just use it with flashhead (without diffuser) against the wedding pair for fill-in flash purpose?

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2024, 10:14:45 »
Are you confident with this job? To me it sounds like you have many questions regarding shooting a wedding,,,

Shooting a wedding with little depth of focus, wide open, takes a lot of skill/practice, not recommended for a first wedding.

Under no circumstance would I use ND filters or polarizers for weddings, I see no reason at all.

Yes flash outdoors is very good for fill flash at weddings, and yes with diffuser, setting up SB910 correctly is mandatory for fill flash to work well,,, FP 1/250

I always used big flash SB 800 - 910 with f/2.8 zooms; 35-70 AF-D,  28-70 AF-S, 24-70 AF-S and the big Nikon Bodies or with grip; F4E, F5, D1, D1X, D2X, D3, D850 since it's a heavy setup to carry for hours,,,

Always also a complete back up set of; Camera, lens and flash, just in case,,,

Film/memory cards and batteries in the pockets, not in a bag somewhere,,,

Also often Elinchrom battery pack, Ranger RS with a big softboks to overpower the sun with soft light, for the images of the couple.

Then scouting out the church, talking to the priest for permission, what's allowed, what can you get away with, overall location knowledge is helpful for camera angles.

Then knowing who is who,,, because some pictures of the key persons are mandatory,,,

Being alert for all the key moments, arrival, brides maids! ring, kiss, flowers, exit church, rice, parents, kids, official as well as unofficial,,,

Good luck!

PS definetly NEF raw files, they are so much more flexible to edit and quick to bulk convert, and a good opportunity to save images with issues re light etc
Erik Lund

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2024, 18:47:14 »
Erik writes with great wisdom!

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2024, 21:25:48 »
Yes, good with some wisdom :-)

It is my first wedding.
I know the couple and it is not their first wedding.
My primary job is to do the outdoor pictures of the wedding pair (for the test of the wedding I have a "free role". I am participating as a guest also).
It will be a photo session with only the pair (before going to the church) in a small park with a small lake.
I have shot outdoor people before but not used fill-in flash much. So this is probably the most serious outdoor portraits so far I will do.
As it is in a park I want to blur the background as much as possible.
Grayfilters are only for outdoor and only if f/1.8 (Z 50/1.8) causes shutter time faster than 1/4000 sec. Will see how the light is on the day (still 6 weeks or so to prepare).
I will also use f/2.8 - f/5.6 probably to have a lot of images to select from.

I will read about Z50 fill-in flash. I will also practice a bit when I receive the SB-910. If a shutter speed about 1/4000 is necessary without fill-in flash then I am unsure if Z50 is able to "fill-in" at 1/4000. Maybe fill-in flash is not possible at those speeds. If not it is very bad for Nikon flash technology :-)       .....for standard flash images I think max. sync speed is 1/200s for Z50.....but fill-in flash may be something different. Maybe it will work only for shutter speeds 1/200 and slower. In this case it is not for much use for large aperture lens portraits (without grayfilters). Of course with grayfilters you can slow down the shutter speeds to get get down to 1/200s or slower.

About the SB-910 and diffuser:
Do you want me to get a 3rd party diffuser to put on the head for fill-in flash purpose?
It is the very expensive white "Tupperware" plastic cap?
I don't think it is included in the set by Nikon. I think there is a white plastic card you can pull out to bounce from or maybe a diffuser you can pull out and put in front of the head. It am not familiar with SB-910 yet. It was a quick purchase without thinking much as the price seems very reasonable.   

I also have to look at various wedding pair portraits as the pair expect me to guide them how to "stand" .....or lay (probably not :-) ).
A white wedding dress in full sunlight can probably be a challenge to capture with all the details. A bit overcast will be fine......but time will show.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2024, 21:38:33 »
This image example is really bad according to my taste:
https://www.brides.com/coordinating-wedding-day-looks-6501066
Distracting background, his leg position looks bad, lacking details in white dress.
It seems it should be a good example of how a wedding pair image should look like.
But it is outdoor pictures like this that is my primary job. Hopefully I can do better :-)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2024, 22:04:08 »
Shoot NEF + jpg(fine). Then use jpgs for the client unless you need to process extra.

100%
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/