Author Topic: Best cheap Portrait Lens for Nikon D850  (Read 22965 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: Best cheap Portrait Lens for Nikon D850
« Reply #90 on: March 21, 2020, 06:48:23 »
Actually the 80-200mm AF-S 2.8 could do the job for sure.

It has the AF speed and accuracy also plenty sharp and bokeh is great.
Agree on that.

It is a hugely improved version of the previous models, but not so well known (and sold), as most photographers waited for the VR-version...

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #91 on: March 21, 2020, 10:18:08 »
Me too.  My copy is a very good lens - if somewhat heavy.  (No free lunches.  :))

Agree on that.

It is a hugely improved version of the previous models, but not so well known (and sold), as most photographers waited for the VR-version...
Hugh Gunn

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #92 on: March 21, 2020, 11:34:04 »
I wonder if there will be any F-Z adapter with built in AF motor for AFD lenses……..an official Nikon adapter would be nice.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #93 on: March 21, 2020, 11:56:31 »
I seriously doubt that, at least from Nikon's side. In fact, they are at a crossroads now where they can realise their dreams of dropping support for a whole first generation of AF technology relying on mechanical connections. They really want "E" technology to replace the former "D"/"S" approaches.

Any such third-party adapter would require a built-in focusing motor, a screwdriver linkage,  plus the control electronics to emulate  AFS seen from the camera's side. Power must be drawn from the camera as well.  The adapter would definitively be more chunky and awkward than any current FTZ-type.

f4-fan

• NG Member
  • Camera Moralia - Digicams for social justice!
    • Fotogemeinschaft.de - moving moments...
« Reply #94 on: March 21, 2020, 12:25:05 »
A.
Actually the 80-200mm AF-S 2.8 could do the job for sure.
It has the AF speed and accuracy also plenty sharp and bokeh is great.
Thinking VR is needed, surely that is a mistake, the D850 needs a fast shutter speed to avoid motion blur, that can not be ignored if any consistentensy is needed.

B.
The jump from F4 with film to D850 is huge!

Sorry to hear your trouble with badly AI modified lenses, must have been very badly done  :o
Well it's apparently a well known issue that many of us have seen over the years, however dur to other reasons

Ad A.
My intended photo-project would be (in-room) portraiture in available light:  a big/long 80-200 2.8 would not be the right lens for that... (too big, not fast enough etc.)
With my Zeiss 35mm 1.4 I need (inhouse, available light) minimum 1/160 sec. with the D850 to avoid blur; with an 80-200 I would need min. 1/500 with 2.8...
I discussed this in my other thread on NikonGear:
https://nikongear.net/revival/index.php?topic=9163.0
With the D850 I have to optimize my techniques of shooting (Frank Fremerys tip: https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/long-exposure-handhelds/introduction.html )

Ad B.
My F4-time is long ago; I come from 22MP Canon 5D MK 3;   but even this jump seems to be big.

Ralf
Fehmarn, SH, Germany
Fotogemeinschaft.de - moving moments...

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #95 on: March 21, 2020, 12:29:22 »
Agree on that.

very good lens. I did use it a a loaner for sports. Fast AF and clean images ...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #96 on: March 21, 2020, 12:31:45 »
I seriously doubt that, at least from Nikon's side. In fact, they are at a crossroads now where they can realise their dreams of dropping support for a whole first generation of AF technology relying on mechanical connections. They really want "E" technology to replace the former "D"/"S" approaches.

Any such third-party adapter would require a built-in focusing motor, a screwdriver linkage,  plus the control electronics to emulate  AFS seen from the camera's side. Power must be drawn from the camera as well.  The adapter would definitively be more chunky and awkward than any current FTZ-type.

sounds like Metabones to me
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

f4-fan

• NG Member
« Reply #97 on: March 21, 2020, 12:34:37 »
Did you compare at the same output size?

No. (other cam sold) :)

I made some  tests with some little objects (Coins); my more or less subjective impression was, that the results (with Micro Nikkor Auto 55mm 3.5 non Ai) with the former 22MP Canon 5D MK 3 (with Adapter) were better/sharper than with the D850
But after some tests the Ai modified lens destroyed the very sensitive F-FO base plate ceramic unit of my new D850 ( the pressure on the bayonet was to high ) ; after this I will never use a modified non Ai-Lens on this cam...

Here the example (Nikon D850; Micro Nikkor Auto 55mm 3.5 non Ai; f/8; 1/3sec; tripod)

Original:
https://www.fotogemeinschaft.de/fg-downloads/tests/nikon-micro-nikkor-55mm-auto-3_5/20200204-0469-ralf-schlieper-00491739900599-850_1772.jpg

+++
Ralf
Fehmarn, SH, Germany

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #98 on: March 21, 2020, 12:43:51 »
I wonder if a DX sensor is better to use with old lenses as only center part of lens is used. They seems to be able to deliver pixel sharpness on my D5200. I am quite sure a 55/3.5 micro can do that and maybe also on a CX sensor. I guess 24 MP DX sensor has higher pixel density than a 45 MP FX. And a 20 MP CX sensor has much higher pixel density…...without calculation I would guess a FX sensor with CX density would be like +100 MP.

f4-fan

• NG Member
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2020, 12:47:28 »
I wonder if you might be better off with a Z6 if you are doing a lot of macro work and like to use other lenses. It gives a lot more flexibility to adapt lenses. The lenses for the Z cameras are quite good. Some would say better than the nikkor which came before.

I actually chose the Z6 at first, but then decided to go for the D850, because I really wanted the Zeiss Milvus 35mm 1.4 and the Nikkor 14-24mm; both lenses are not very ergonomic with the Z6 AND the FTZ adapter.

But surely: for the use of cheaper older lenses, the Z6 would be better.
Ralf
Fehmarn, SH, Germany

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2020, 15:12:52 »
I actually chose the Z6 at first, but then decided to go for the D850, because I really wanted the Zeiss Milvus 35mm 1.4 and the Nikkor 14-24mm; both lenses are not very ergonomic with the Z6 AND the FTZ adapter.

I disagree,  The Nikkor 14-24/2.8 and FTZ feels at home with the Z6 and Z7 too of course. Ergo very ergonomic.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2020, 16:20:22 »
No. (other cam sold) :)

I made some  tests with some little objects (Coins); my more or less subjective impression was, that the results (with Micro Nikkor Auto 55mm 3.5 non Ai) with the former 22MP Canon 5D MK 3 (with Adapter) were better/sharper than with the D850
+++

I made a test shot using the Micro 55/3.5 (old Nippon Kogaku type....also AI'ed….but that does not matter on a D5200 body). I had a 50 cent coin I used to see how it looked on a D5200 24 MP DX sensor. Also at f8. I can see the smaller sensor gives a bit more DOF as the paper as background is a bit more defined. Maybe this can have something to do with perceived sharpness using a smaller sensor?
It is difficult with lightning to get the coin look good and be able to see most possible details…..something where my image could improve. There is a 100% crop also. The larger and more modern sensor on D850 has more dynamic range....so finer tone graduation.

f4-fan

• NG Member
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2020, 17:55:22 »
I made a test shot using the Micro 55/3.5 (old Nippon Kogaku type....also AI'ed….but that does not matter on a D5200 body). I had a 50 cent coin I used to see how it looked on a D5200 24 MP DX sensor. Also at f8. I can see the smaller sensor gives a bit more DOF as the paper as background is a bit more defined. Maybe this can have something to do with perceived sharpness using a smaller sensor?
It is difficult with lightning to get the coin look good and be able to see most possible details…..something where my image could improve. There is a 100% crop also. The larger and more modern sensor on D850 has more dynamic range....so finer tone graduation.

Bokeh is rather good...

Nikon D850; Micro Nikkor Auto 55mm 3.5 non Ai; f/??; 1/250; 800 ASA

Ralf
Fehmarn, SH, Germany

f4-fan

• NG Member
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2020, 18:07:59 »
D850, AF-S Nikkor 50mm 1.8 G; +++ f/4; 1/20 sec; 3200 ASA (Compared with the Zeiss Milvus the Bokeh and rendering of the AF-S Nikkor 50mm 1.8 G are not really great)

Ralf
Fehmarn, SH, Germany

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2020, 18:12:44 »
55/3.5 Bokeh seems very good…..and also 50/1.8.....on DX sensor 50mm can be used as portrait lens...….