Author Topic: Nikon D6 formally announced by Nikon  (Read 43258 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon D6 formally announced by Nikon
« Reply #270 on: November 30, 2020, 13:36:22 »
The viewfinder mask display on/off choice seems to be available only on the D850. Other cameras either have just the outline, or a masked area but not a user choice of which to display. 

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #271 on: November 30, 2020, 19:49:28 »
Yes, I was wrong with the D800E - it offers no choice but provides the frame in the viewfinder I prefer to use over the masking
Wolfgang Rehm

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #272 on: January 26, 2021, 06:40:56 »
Back in business. Here this weekend at Daytona (FL) for the prologues. The 24h of Daytona coming coming weekend.

_D628481.jpg
24h of Daytona 2021
Nikon D6
Nikkor VR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL + Nikkor TC 20E III
ƒ/5.6  400.0 mm 1/160s ISO 280

Always surprised by the quality of the 70-200 mm f/2.8E FL and the TC-20E III
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #273 on: January 26, 2021, 07:22:53 »
Your panning are fantastic, once more.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #274 on: January 26, 2021, 07:38:34 »
Yes, great shot.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #275 on: January 26, 2021, 14:25:27 »
Your panning are fantastic, once more.

Yes, great shot.

Too kind  :), Covid-19 contingencies don’t make things easier. And an oval track is new to me. A lot of things to learn.

_D628682.jpg
High bank overtaking. Car 20 is « mine ».

_D629348.jpg
Night shot.

Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #276 on: April 15, 2021, 12:00:33 »
The D6 got new firmware, US link https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/545/D6.html

Updates “C” Firmware Version 1.11 to 1.20:

"A Recall shooting functions (hold) item has been added to Custom Setting f3 Custom controls. Assigning this role to a control lets you recall previously-saved values for settings such as exposure and metering by pressing the control once during viewfinder photography. The previous values can be restored by pressing the control a second time. Recall shooting functions (hold) can be assigned to the Preview button, Fn1 button, Fn2 button, Fn button for vertical shooting, AF-ON button, Sub-selector center, AF-ON button for vertical shooting, Movie record button, or Lens focus function buttons.
• A new option, Prefer sub-selector center, has been added to the Custom Settings menu at position f13. Although at default settings the sub-selector cannot be used to position the focus point while the center is pressed, selecting Off for Prefer sub-selector center lets you hold the center and still position the focus point by pressing the sub-selector up, down, left, or right. You can, for example, assign AF-area mode to the center of the sub-selector and then use the sub-selector to position the focus point while the center still serves in the AF-area mode role.
• A Focus point selection speed item has been added to Custom Setting a17 Focus point options. The speed at which the focus points for viewfinder photography can be cycled by holding the sub-selector or keeping the multi selector pressed up, down, left, or right can be chosen from Normal, High, and Extra high.
• Ratings are now displayed at all times during playback zoom, even when None (image only) is selected for playback display options.
• The camera can now more reliably focus on poorly-lit low-contrast subjects when dynamic-area AF is selected for AF-area mode."

I will personally appreciate the first one a lot, as I use recall shooting functions to switch between settings for a slowly moving subject and a fast-moving subject and I always found it awkward to have to hold the button down, I'm getting used to it but this "hold" function will presumably allow one to use this custom function as a toggle. This will help a lot.

Dynamic area AF improvements in low light are also welcome; in low light sometimes there is a "wait while it figures out what to do" kind of delay in very low light in dynamic-area modes, now they seem to have made improvements into this area, hopefully significant ones. ;-)

Improvements to the joystick function should make it easier to use multiple different focus area modes fluidly.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #277 on: April 16, 2021, 10:56:48 »
Installed yesterday. I reprogrammed my Recall function to Hold. Some interesting additions, and improvements.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

chambeshi

« Reply #278 on: April 19, 2021, 16:19:12 »
Brad Hill latest blog (16 April) discussed these fixes with respect to his particular Customs uses. Hopefully, Nikon learns they are widely appreciated - indeed hoped for - beyond the D* flagship cameras. (see recent thread on Fredmiranda)

For how else to optimize the impressive potential of the D500/D850/D780 tier DSLRs, and Z6 and Z7 Series? They each present with a 1/2 dozen and more AF modes/options, plus exposure settings, alternative frames, and more.....

Standardizing a Recall Shooting Function, ie C3 settings, will ultimately sell more cameras.

http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html#500mm_wars_1

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #279 on: April 20, 2021, 13:41:08 »
After using the new firmware for a few days, I noticed a few things.

When using the sub-selector center to switch focus-area modes, turn on focusing, and at the same time, move the focus point around requires a certain amount of finger dexterity and I eventually turned this feature off for the time being. I may start using it at a later point but I found it requires some practice which I don't have time to do right now.

The "Recall shooting functions (hold)" feature is something I really like but it too has a minor glitch. It's not like the recalled settings are held indefinitely. If you turn the camera off, the recalled settings are not in effect and the function needs to be reactivated by pressing the programmed custom function button (the settings themselves are remembered). Also, if you adjust exposure compensation by pressing +/-, again the recalled settings are not held active. It's a bit difficult for me to remember which operations cancel the "holding" of recall shooting functions, so I have to keep looking at the screens to see which settings are in effect.

I'll try to figure it out. In any case I am definitely using recall shooting functions (hold), it is just not as persistent as I would like.

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #280 on: December 16, 2021, 19:01:57 »
New firmware v 1.40 available.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/433.html

• Added a Select all to send (wired LAN/WT) item to the playback “i” menu that can be used to mark for upload all pictures that meet the criteria currently selected for filtered playback.
• Changes have been made to the buttons used to mark pictures for upload when the camera is connected to a computer or FTP server:
- Pictures can now be marked for priority upload by holding the OK button and pressing the multi selector left.
- Holding the OK button and pressing the center of the multi selector now marks pictures for non-priority upload.
• Fixed the following issues:
- Auto white balance would not perform as expected if (a) white balance was not among the settings recalled via Custom Setting f3 (Custom controls) > Recall shooting functions or Recall shooting functions (hold) in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU or (b) a Recall shooting functions or Recall shooting functions (hold) operation was performed while exposure and white balance were locked using a control assigned AE/AWB lock (hold) via Custom Setting f3 (Custom controls) in the CUSTOM SETTING MENU.
- Aperture would be reset when the preview button was pressed to zoom in on the live view display at maximum aperture

Not downloaded / not tested yet.
Download is relatively long, but no problems occurred.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

chambeshi

« Reply #281 on: February 23, 2022, 07:49:11 »
This promo clip was published recently by Jeffrey Wu on his youtube channel

Hunting cheetah - exemplifies improved 3D Tracking of the D6 AF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLnOVoXgixE