Author Topic: Nikon D6 formally announced by Nikon  (Read 43274 times)

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: Nikon D6 formally announced by Nikon
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2020, 01:25:01 »
Had that kind of complexity-error with my old F4 and its builit-in viewfinder diopter correction getting lose, thus not showing any kind of sharp viefinder image any more

This happened to my F4 too after a drop. I opened up the viewfinder and found that the adjustable optic element had come loose from its plastic frame. I simply glued it back in the plastic frame and got it working again.
Øivind Tøien

chambeshi

« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2020, 15:58:40 »
An interesting inside take based upon working at Nikon UK (1995-1999) on the Nikon that was (and probably that still is). Towards the end of the article, in chagrin about the D6, the author argues the company is probably working full steam ahead on its Z system.

I found it reads well and interesting, but his rant after reading the D6 specs, smacks of his having been too gullible (swallowing rumours of IBIS etc) and too impatient to wait for field data

http://www.picturedesk.co.uk/news/2020/02/nikon-an-insider-story/

This article has been picked up on by several web-based photographic newshubs

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2020, 17:19:48 »
It doesn't sound like the person really understands the technology very well at all; there are many factual errors in the article. So he watched rumor sites and was disappointed that the rumor-site published specs on the D6 turned out to be the figment of someone's imagination instead of real specs. Whose fault is that? If he had been an insider as he claims, he would have known what the product really is going to be like.

Of course we all know that Nikon are working mainly on the Z's since in that sector they came in late and they need to catch up with a comprehensive product line.

The real problem is that fabricated specs get routinely passed on as "rumors" and then there are sites who publish such "specs."  It looks like Nikon are getting a lot better at preventing these sites from getting real information until rather close to the product announcement date. So this means that if Nikon keep it that way, rumor sites increasingly publish fabrications. Another example was the rumored Z lens roadmap, which contained zero additional correct information that wasn't already known in the the original roadmap, and the real updated roadmap that Nikon published eventually contained none of the lenses that the rumored roadmap had included beyond the already previously known ones.

My guess is that this trend will continue. Rather than blaming the rumor sites for false specifications, and setting the wrong expectations, people blame Nikon for not meeting the fabricated specifications.

If one wants to know what Nikon are up to, interviews such as frequently published by dpreview and e.g. imaging resource reveal a lot about Nikon's strategy without being specific about yet unannounced product details. From this information it is easy enough to deduce what can be expected in the future. And not be disappointed.

chambeshi

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2020, 20:35:31 »
D6 Brochure fyi - official details including information about the new AF system

https://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/e/Q5NM96RZZo-YRYNeYvAi9beHK4x3L-wmtXfawgokSdJtu7dDU0VkoA==/Misc/D6-Brochure.pdf

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2020, 00:01:56 »
Woody and Ilkka,

I agree with your points. The author comes across as someone who does not seem to understand technology that well and is more interested in having a "flagship" than he is in photography. The claim that it is an "Insider's" view when he has been outside more than 20 years is certainly a loooong stretch.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2020, 00:45:58 »
Ilkka, this site doesn't provide for upvotes on posts but here's one anyway.

chambeshi

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2020, 12:28:23 »
Brad Hill's update, derived from the D6 Brochure mainly
http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html#D6MOREThoughts

https://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/e/Q5NM96RZZo-YRYNeYvAi9beHK4x3L-wmtXfawgokSdJtu7dDU0VkoA==/Misc/D6-Brochure.pdf

as noted a few days ago, the whole that's the D6 matches the magnitude of upgrade as the previous flagships (D3,D4,D5)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2020, 13:38:44 »
Wow, the brochure is really nice and comprehensive as always!
It is a new focus system,,,  ;D
The only thing I still miss is the focus point spread, could do with points further out,,, otherwise,,, Just Wow!  8)
Erik Lund

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2020, 13:41:09 »

Code: [Select]

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2020, 13:46:44 »

The real problem is that fabricated specs get routinely passed on as "rumors" and then there are sites who publish such "specs."  It looks like Nikon are getting a lot better at preventing these sites from getting real information until rather close to the product announcement date. So this means that if Nikon keep it that way, rumor sites increasingly publish fabrications.
That practice is endemic to the current techno narrative at large, corresponding to a similar condition of reportage unfettered by archaic notions of vetting evidence and fact-checking.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2020, 17:34:31 »
Brad Hill's update, derived from the D6 Brochure mainly
http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html#D6MOREThoughts

as noted a few days ago, the whole that's the D6 matches the magnitude of upgrade as the previous flagships (D3,D4,D5)

Quite a handsome brochure!
Carl

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2020, 07:38:31 »
So far, we haven't gone past the brochure stage.

Usually when a new model enters the arena, the reference manual pops up in downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com.

No manual so far. No announcements by anyone bragging to have one.

The coronavirus pandemic seems to have quarantined the D6 too :(

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2020, 08:22:12 »
IF the Olympics go ahead in 2021, then based on past practice, Nikon will release the camera a few months before the commencement of the games. 

With the extra development time afforded by the delay of the games, maybe we will see the Nikon D6s instead?  ;)
Hugh Gunn

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2020, 10:29:15 »
IF the Olympics go ahead in 2021, then based on past practice, Nikon will release the camera a few months before the commencement of the games. 

With the extra development time afforded by the delay of the games, maybe we will see the Nikon D6s instead?  ;)

There are supply chain issues due to the pandemic, so they may have some difficulty to get all the parts for the production of the camera. The manual typically comes out online at the same time as the first cameras reach the customers.

While the Olympics are an important way of showcasing the camera, it is not solely made for the Games.  I don’t see how Nikon could afford not to sell a finished camera and just postpone it possibly indefinitely. There is a large cost for making the tools for producing the camera and it should be sold as soon as it is ready to recover those costs while the technology is competitive. Canon and Sony already put theirs on the market.

Of course, no major sports are being played at the moment but there is plenty of photojournalism to do (current issues) and when working with gloves on, it is easier to use the full-size camera. And wildlife is not in quarantine.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2020, 11:03:50 »

My father used to say "Don't go out for a hard trek with new boots", even the eventual D6s would be a new camera. And the Olympic Games are a "hard trek" in photographic terms. A trusty set of backups is essential.

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.