Author Topic: Nikon D6 formally announced by Nikon  (Read 43820 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon D6 formally announced by Nikon
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2020, 16:00:51 »
I have never had a FX camera and D5, D6 is considered the "ISO monster" of what Nikon can deliver and I think it is state of the art what is possible today regarding noise performance for a FX sensor?
I am just a little bit disappointed by the performance and to me it looks like the camera has a fault?

The D5 and D6 are optimized for high ISO (1600-). If you want Nikon's best base ISO image quality, then the D850 would be the camera to choose. These are complementary cameras optimized for different ISO ranges.

I don't usually apply 100% vignetting correction to images. Most typically I use 70% correction so as to leave a slightly darker outer area of the frame to "close" the image visually. But it depends on the subject matter.

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #121 on: June 20, 2020, 16:37:38 »
In the meantime, this will be my Saturday job  8)

Nikon D6 - Lens calibration

And for the zoom lenses, there are now two calibrations i.e. wide and tele ...
   There is no doubt you will be a master of this amazing machine very soon! Good luck!   LZ

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #122 on: June 20, 2020, 16:58:16 »
The D5 and D6 are optimized for high ISO (1600-). If you want Nikon's best base ISO image quality, then the D850 would be the camera to choose. These are complementary cameras optimized for different ISO ranges.

I don't usually apply 100% vignetting correction to images. Most typically I use 70% correction so as to leave a slightly darker outer area of the frame to "close" the image visually. But it depends on the subject matter.
  Agreed, but want to add something. After keeping both of them, for 2 months, D850 and Z7, I stay with Z7. So high resolving sensor needs stable hands. So IBIS, plus fresh air without necessary of any FT, has turned the balance to the Z7. Plus way less weight and size. There was not fast jumping to the conclusion, but a very slow way. Thank you!  LZ

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2020, 20:32:30 »
Panorama shot with 9 vertical pictures taken with the D6. Yes, I know this is not the first purpose of this sort of camera  ;). Without the new panoramic ballhead and tripod from RSR, would probably not be possible.

_D600067-Panorama.jpg

Just a trial. Next time, I will leave some more headspace for the sky.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #124 on: June 20, 2020, 20:36:06 »
Panorama shot with 9 vertical pictures taken with the D6. Yes, I know this is not the first purpose of the type of camera  ;)

_D600067-Panorama.jpg

Just a trial. Next time, I will some more space for the sky.
  Beautifully made, WOW!   LZ

MFloyd

• NG Member
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #125 on: June 20, 2020, 20:37:44 »
  Beautifully made, WOW!   LZ

Thx. No underexposure this time ... :)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

MFloyd

• NG Member
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #126 on: June 22, 2020, 03:40:31 »
Focus micro adjustment exercise of the Nikkor 500mm f/5.6E FL on the Nikon F6 body. The balcony ironwork is ideal for assessment of back- front-focus  :)

Nikon D6 - tele focus calibration

Nikon D6 - super télé calibration process
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2020, 14:05:20 »
https://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/d4s_tips/af_fine-tuning/

Note the target should be flat, not a 3D shape. "The ideal target is flat and features sharply contrasting areas of solid black and solid white. The target in this example is a white stripe on a black background; the stripe should be about 1.5 cm wide. "

Anyway, how is the D6 AF? Have you had a chance to use it for some moving targets? Thanks.

MFloyd

• NG Member
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2020, 14:22:00 »
https://nps.nikonimaging.com/technical_solutions/d4s_tips/af_fine-tuning/

Note the target should be flat, not a 3D shape. "The ideal target is flat and features sharply contrasting areas of solid black and solid white. The target in this example is a white stripe on a black background; the stripe should be about 1.5 cm wide. "

Anyway, how is the D6 AF? Have you had a chance to use it for some moving targets? Thanks.

I know, but should I say I know better. I don’t trust the automatic focus micro-adjustment for an inch. I prefer to do it Old School with a 3D object I can immediately see which of the vertical beams is sharp, and adjust accordingly to have the one aimed becoming the sharpest one. Also, I make my adjustments on the rather longer range; adjustments at a 5 meter range are not meaningful for my practice.

I did some opportunistic moving targets (birds, etc) in 3D AF, or Auto. Maybe to early to jump to conclusions, but I think we might have something exceptional; a complete different dimension compared to the already AF champion, the D5. 
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2020, 14:45:02 »
I agree, there are so many variables that influence the so called automatic focus calibration to make it reliable.
For some lenses it works quite well, but mostly it's a gamble.
Erik Lund

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2020, 15:02:24 »
The page I linked to was not about automatic AF fine tune (the D4S which the page is about, doesn't have that feature anyway).

If you use a 3D target then the phase measurement shows less clear peaks. The sensitive area of the individual focus points is also not necessarily accurately defined in the viewfinder and can include some sensitivity in a wider area than shown, so you might have two or three bars affecting the measurement.

However, what is good is that the lighting is bright, the distance is appropriate for your application, and there is high contrast.

Nikon warn against repeating patterns and against 3D subjects as focus targets, and you have both. That doesn't mean problems will automatically occur, but there is some risk. Of course, the risk can be mitigated by real-world testing and refinement.

MFloyd

• NG Member
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #131 on: June 22, 2020, 16:20:43 »
Thank you Erik and Ilkka. Your remarks are 100% correct.

Let’s say, I iron out the variables by iterating many times my measures, rejecting the ones which I don’t feel; and then averaging, but not always, because there are sometimes measures I prefer. I takes me some time, but once done, it should normally stay valid for the life of the body.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

MFloyd

• NG Member
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2020, 23:53:30 »
Most noticed the « roof » on the prism house, as well as the much higher « command turret ». The roof appeared to me being metallic, so I was wondering if there was any antenna over there. Nikon answered me that the GPS receiver is indeed housed on top of the prism, while the  WiFi antenna gear is housed in the control turret. Noteworthy to know. I guess this will not change your lives ...

And sorry for the build-in-flash-lovers: the answer is NO.

Nikon F6 - detail prism and turret
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

MFloyd

• NG Member
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #133 on: June 28, 2020, 10:15:43 »
Awaiting real action, some further tests. Here a check for correct AF micro-adjustment, wireless image transfer, and color rendition. It’s a GO for me  :) Although SnapBridge remains a monster in ergonomics.  >:(

Nikon D6 trial

From Nikon D6 to Nikon SnapBridge to Lightroom Mobile to Flickr to NikonGear. Transfer to Lr in original non resized NEF format (possible now with the last SnapBridge release).

Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #134 on: June 28, 2020, 10:33:05 »
Following your test with great interest.

Thank you for sharing your work!