Author Topic: New D780 formally announced.  (Read 14013 times)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: New D780 formally announced.
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2020, 20:05:25 »
IMO the increased bulk when in storage is well worth it.  I'd call this a very minor problem compared to the benefits.

The Nikon grips I've had over the years, for the D7000, D610, D750, and D500, have all been the type with the electrical connection on the bottom on the camera. It's interesting that I acquired all these grips, except the MB-D11 for the D7000, for free under various sales promotions.  I think Nikon has been too optimistic for a long time about how many of their overpriced grips would sell for full price.

I don't see how I would store an L-shaped grip in my camera backpack so that it's protected and doesn't hit anything, and where the space is used efficiently. Also it looks like the part that goes inside the camera's battery chamber could be soiled easily. But I have never used this type of a grip (all the ones that I have used have been with flat top).

From what I understand having spoken to local camera stores, the Nikon battery grips that provide functional enhancement (i.e. fps boost, such as the one for the D700/D300) have sold well but the ones that are just extra battery holders with controls but with no performance benefits have not sold as well. However, in the field I see many using one (many originals too), and many who aren't using one. It's a personal preference.

I'm pretty sure that Nikon know that many users of their cameras buy cheap knock-off grips but it's also possible that the decision not to include pins is partly because they are not interested in facilitating the knock-off grip business (but it also can lead to a simpler design for the camera, and thus lower costs and easier repair, as there are fewer connectors, wires and circuits).

Anyway, we don't have any direct influence on what features and accessories Nikon decide to offer for each of their cameras. What we can decide is which cameras and accessories we buy, based on their fitness to task and price. There is a lot of variety on the market and I am sure each of us can find suitable tools for our needs.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2020, 06:09:53 »
Nikon has published (on Apr.23, 2020) a firmware update (to v.1.01) for the D780.

See here: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/358.html

It solves an incompatibilty issue with some SD card types.

Bella Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

chambeshi

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2020, 12:25:19 »
A recent review - fairly comprehensive with comparisons

https://www.slrlounge.com/nikon-d780-dslr-review/

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2020, 23:20:25 »
Strange publications indeed. Why should every new camera be considered an "upgrade" ? DSLR have reached some kind of maturity plateau, so one should accept that D780 might not be a "worthy upgrade" for a D750 owner, but just a more or less state-of-the-art upper-middle range DSLR camera available to those who start using F-mount lenses, or need to replace their dead camera body. Not a booming business for sure.

From that point of view, the slrlounge review seems much more factual, to the point.
Airy Magnien

chambeshi

« Reply #79 on: May 27, 2020, 13:22:47 »
Thom Hogan review

https://dslrbodies.com/cameras/current-nikon-dslr-reviews/nikon-d780-camera-review.html

Surprised he does not hammer Nikon for their slip up - badly IMO - on yet another of their infuriating reverses. The D780 menu system has no options (unlike D850, D500 etc) to customize Pv/Fn to switch in a AF-On + Focus Mode [cf Tabulated options pg 628-9 in D780 PDF]. And unlike a Z MILC, D780 custom settings don't allow changing AF settings with the right hand only (eg red Video button + front/rear dials).

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #80 on: May 27, 2020, 22:21:35 »
Surprised he does not hammer Nikon very for their slip up - badly IMO - on yet another of their infuriating reverses. The D780 menu system has no options (unlike D850, D500 etc) to customize Pv/Fn to switch in a AF-On + Focus Mode [cf Tabulated options pg 628-9 in D780 PDF]. And unlike a Z MILC, D780 custom settings don't allow changing AF settings with the right hand only (eg red Video button + front/rear dials).

Thats bad news. A camera filled with state of the art technology but with deficits in configurability. Jus tlike the Z6 where the shooting mode can'tbe put on one of the function  buttons instead of the misplaced button on the rear right  below side
Wolfgang Rehm

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #81 on: May 17, 2021, 21:56:13 »
I tried the D780 out a bit in a camera store to see how the LV AF worked with the 58/1.4 AF-S. I was pleasantly surprised how well AF-F maintained focus on a human subject's face as I moved slowly about to test what might be typical usage in an event or interview situation. There was no hunting or hesitation which is a bit surprising to me as it is, after all, a Nikon DSLR in live view mode.   ::) I imagine I could easily work with this camera. Unfortunately the store was well-lit and I didn't have the chance to test how it might work in low light.

What I would like to know if is there any significant difference in LV AF between the D780 and Z6 with FTZ using the same lens? I realize the D780 will focus screwdriver AF lenses and the Z6 will not, and also the Z6 has got newer firmware that includes animal eye AF. However, is the basic functionality and AF performance of LV AF with F-mount lenses (AF-S mainly) closely similar or does the FTZ introduce a performance difference? I can't easily test both in a side by side fashion without spending a lot of money.

I have to say the D780 may have been unjustly ignored partly due to the pandemic. I personally would prefer having D780's LV AF capability and Multi-CAM 37K viewfinder AF in the same camera but unfortunately Nikon compartmentalized those into different cameras, at least for now.

I also felt the grip and overall "feel" of the D780 are an improvement over the D750.