Author Topic: New D780 formally announced.  (Read 14019 times)

Per Inge Oestmoen

• NG Member
  • Long Live NikonGear
Re: New D780 formally announced.
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2020, 11:25:22 »

The absence of the option to attach a vertical grip is unfortunate but understandable from the perspective that this camera was designed to be small, and by attaching the vertical grip this objective is no longer met, and most users probably want to use it without the grip. Nikon may not have sold enough grips for the D750 to continue supporting them in this camera.

However, the grip is a genuinely useful feature and it's regrettable that it is not possible in this model.

The desire to design a camera to be small and light that is a justification to construct it without an integrated grip, but it is no justification for the failure to make such a grip available as an option and give the user the choice between a small and light version of the camera, and a little heavier version which gives optimal functionality for vertical shooting.

It also is not justified by a supposition that most users do not use a vertical grip. The point is that a vertical grip with a shutter release button and controls increase functionality. In addition, there are quite a few third-party vertical grips for the camera models which are made with electronic contacts for a grip, these offerings would not exist unless users found a vertical grip to be a valuable addition.

The point is that a vertical grip with a shutter button and controls makes a whole world of difference, since the user does not have to twist the hand in order to shoot vertically. For those among us who frequently work with the camera in the vertical position, the vertical grip with controls is nearly indispensable. There is absolutely no excuse for making new cameras on this level without electronic contacts for a functional grip.

Per Inge Oestmoen
"Noise reduction is just another word for image destruction"

Per Inge Oestmoen

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2020, 19:05:54 »
The point is that a vertical grip with a shutter button and controls makes a whole world of difference, since the user does not have to twist the hand in order to shoot vertically. For those among us who frequently work with the camera in the vertical position, the vertical grip with controls is nearly indispensable. There is absolutely no excuse for making new cameras on this level without electronic contacts for a functional grip.

It is certain that it is useful to people. So what must be Nikon's reasoning behind this?
1) Perhaps they are stupid.
2) Perhaps it is not in their economic best interests.
3) Perhaps they don't know how.

I expect it is the second option. What do you think their reason is?

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2020, 21:27:33 »
A DSLR without a mirror?
So a Z6 with built-in Z-F mount adapter and additional AF-motor.
The AF-motor is a nice feature but no IBIS as far as I can see…..

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2020, 22:08:22 »

The D780 does have mirror and optical viewfinder. Yes, no IBIS. Probably would have been more complicated to implement IBIS and counter to the objective of making a small full-frame DSLR.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2020, 22:19:16 »
What do you think their reason is?

They are basically saying that to get a vertical grip, you need to get a higher-end camera (D500, D850 or D5/D6).  They want more money for that option, basically.

Z8 and Z9 will no doubt come with optional vertical grips.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2020, 22:27:23 »
It is certain that it is useful to people. So what must be Nikon's reasoning behind this?
1) Perhaps they are stupid.
2) Perhaps it is not in their economic best interests.
3) Perhaps they don't know how.

I expect it is the second option. What do you think their reason is?
I think it is because they never sold enough on previous models, combined with corporate cost-cutting.
One possible reason why they never sold enough might be the bad engineering of the previous grips.
The MD-B12 grips I have have a shockingly poor physical connection to the camera body.  With the grip fully tightened against the body, you can grab the D800 body with one hand and grab the grip with the other hand, bend and twist, and actually see the flexing between the body and grip.
This makes the grip useless for critical tripod shooting---as with longer lenses at slower shutter speeds--- where the camera needs to be solidly attached to the tripod.
So... there is at least one significant user group who have no use for the grip.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2020, 22:49:20 »
The MD-B12 grips I have have a shockingly poor physical connection to the camera body.  With the grip fully tightened against the body, you can grab the D800 body with one hand and grab the grip with the other hand, bend and twist, and actually see the flexing between the body and grip.

Hmm. The MB-D12 (for the D800/D800E/D810/D810A) is one of the better grips in terms of the rigidity of the joint with the body. With some of the other grip + body combinations, there is a lot more flex, e.g. with the D7100 + MB-D15.

I mainly find it an issue if I'm doing vertical close-ups with a short tele macro, and happen to have the grip attached with the D850 (MB-D16), there is some flex that makes it harder to get the composition right. So what I do is I simply take the grip off and mount the camera to the tripod with no vertical grip.

When using longer telephoto lenses, there is usually a tripod collar on the lens which means the camera is not mounted to the tripod, so the flex is not a major concern, mainly a slight annoyance.

Are the other camera manufacturers' accessory vertical grips better made in this respect?

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2020, 22:56:21 »
The D780 does have mirror and optical viewfinder. Yes, no IBIS. Probably would have been more complicated to implement IBIS and counter to the objective of making a small full-frame DSLR.

Ok.....so now they have optical view finder and still a mirror…...then the only reason for that could be that it is the only way to implement the more advance AF sensors with tracking capability etc.
So Z6/Z7 is not that good at tracking?   …..or not as fast as the top DSLRs?

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2020, 23:10:23 »
Ok.....so now they have optical view finder and still a mirror…...then the only reason for that could be that it is the only way to implement the more advance AF sensors with tracking capability etc.
So Z6/Z7 is not that good at tracking?   …..or not as fast as the top DSLRs?

One reason is that the optical viewfinder shows the subject with the full dynamic range of the human eye and brain, in real time, with no delays, no pixelation, no flickering, no blocked shadows, no noise etc. Another reason is that autofocus F mount lenses were designed with DSLR AF in mind, and DSLR AF works differently from mirrorless camera AF. Mirrorless AF works best with different AF motor solutions (stepper / linear motors), so it makes sense for manufacturers to make a separate line of lenses designed for mirrorless from the ground up. That way they can also use the space freed by removal of the mirror box to make better quality lenses (especially short focal length lenses). AF performance of Z cameras should be fine in the long run, Nikon just need some time to develop it.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2020, 00:02:00 »
Ok.....I can see I misunderstood the annoncement about "mirrorless tech". I thought it had an EVF......why not......think I would have preferred that. 

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2020, 20:57:17 »

When using longer telephoto lenses, there is usually a tripod collar on the lens which means the camera is not mounted to the tripod, so the flex is not a major concern, mainly a slight annoyance.

Are the other camera manufacturers' accessory vertical grips better made in this respect?
A) True, this is what one usually does with 300mm and up.  And the 200/2, I assume.
B) I wondered the same thing. Does Canon do it better?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2020, 00:17:18 »
The Canon grips I've seen/own have their electrical connection via a dummy battery in the battery compartment. It's a more solid setup that also keeps the electrical connection securely secreted away from moisture and dirt.  The attachment between grip and camera is more secure as a result. The door to the battery compartment comes off and fits onto the dummy battery so it's out of the way when the grip is attached.  Unlike the Nikon grips, both batteries go into the grip so both can be replaced without removing the grip.  Also, there's no electrical connection on the bottom of the camera to get dirty or wet, and no rubber cover over this connection to misplace or lose.  It's a clever and functional design, and this is an area where IMO Canon has done much better than Nikon.

I just just did a direct comparison of the Nikon D750 with MB-D16 attached vs. the Canon 6D with the  BG-E13 attached.  The Nikon feels fairly solid but it's possible to produce a slight flex. The Canon feels rock solid.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2020, 10:50:08 »
Bill, I totally agree.

The Canon grips I've seen/own have their electrical connection via a dummy battery in the battery compartment. It's a more solid setup that also keeps the electrical connection securely secreted away from moisture and dirt.  The attachment between grip and camera is more secure as a result. The door to the battery compartment comes off and fits onto the dummy battery so it's out of the way when the grip is attached.  Unlike the Nikon grips, both batteries go into the grip so both can be replaced without removing the grip.  Also, there's no electrical connection on the bottom of the camera to get dirty or wet, and no rubber cover over this connection to misplace or lose.  It's a clever and functional design, and this is an area where IMO Canon has done much better than Nikon.

I just just did a direct comparison of the Nikon D750 with MB-D16 attached vs. the Canon 6D with the  BG-E13 attached.  The Nikon feels fairly solid but it's possible to produce a slight flex. The Canon feels rock solid.
Hugh Gunn

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2020, 18:15:30 »

The problem with this approach is that when not in use, the grip requires more space. Nikon have made this type of grips as well.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2020, 19:31:30 »
The problem with this approach is that when not in use, the grip requires more space. Nikon have made this type of grips as well.

IMO the increased bulk when in storage is well worth it.  I'd call this a very minor problem compared to the benefits.

The Nikon grips I've had over the years, for the D7000, D610, D750, and D500, have all been the type with the electrical connection on the bottom on the camera. It's interesting that I acquired all these grips, except the MB-D11 for the D7000, for free under various sales promotions.  I think Nikon has been too optimistic for a long time about how many of their overpriced grips would sell for full price.