Author Topic: Adapter thread. The new Lords of the Rings.  (Read 27406 times)

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
Re: Adapter thread. The new Lords of the Rings.
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2020, 10:52:53 »

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2020, 11:23:06 »
I have the similar version for F-m43. Thus see no need to buy a quite expensive adapter, when I have several m43-Z adapters to combine with.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2020, 18:00:38 »
The Meike Automatic Extension Tube Set   MK-Z - AF 1, two rings 11mm and 18mm, arrived.

Good news, it works also with the FTZ and gives the correct Lens information

A quick test with the 11 and 18mm, connected with FTZ and 24-70/2.8

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2020, 18:17:11 »
My Meike kit also arrived yesterday. Everything works, however compared to the Fotodiox 15mm extension I got earlier, the Meike units definitively are much lighter and less sturdily built. Likely the material is some kind of plastic against the metal of the Fotodiox.

I did notice my 50/1.8Z can handle added extension much better than the 85/1.8Z, the latter develops visible amounts of spherical aberration, coma, loss of contrast and curvature of field. It's best to not go beyond the 11mm extension with this lens. This neatly illustrates a point I made made many times over the years: extension does impact mage quality and always in a negative manner, despite there is no glass inside. However, the carefully designed operational parameters of these advanced lenses are upset by the extension, and some lenses do respond very badly to this practice. Some lenses do better fortunately, but the outcome never is *improved* by added extension. Keep this frequently overlooked in mind -- always.

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2020, 19:28:12 »
Thanks for the update on the Meike tubes.

That aberrations increase when a lens is used in a configuration for which it was not designed seems self-evident (was this ever contested?). However, the increase in aberrations can still be small enough such that the gain in magnification yields a better image compared to e.g. cropping. Simple designs and non-retrofocus lenses take extension better in my experience, but one has to try out. I'm happy to hear that the 50/1.8Z is usable with extension. I'm not surprised about the 85/1.8Z, I have not seen a fast 85mm lens that takes extension well, although sometimes the results can still be interesting; spherical aberrations are not always a bad thing.

Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2020, 19:33:04 »
My Meike kit also arrived yesterday. Everything works, however compared to the Fotodiox 15mm extension I got earlier, the Meike units definitively are much lighter and less sturdily built. Likely the material is some kind of plastic against the metal of the Fotodiox
Funnily I have just purchased a set of two Meike extension tubes.
Nikon Z7, 24-70mm f4, 14-30, 35, 50,  85.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2020, 19:39:22 »
Simone, the belief that extension is "harmless" because there is no glass inside the ring is a common myth found, and defended, everywhere.  I long ago gave up counting the number of occurrences.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2020, 20:06:21 »
Also the M42 macro-adapter arrived.  Not chipped, so no recording to Exif. However IBIS works.  And in the Comments it's possible to enter the lens-data.

Z6  With the Voigtlander Color Ultron 50mm f/1.8

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2020, 20:10:25 »
The Ultron has much better bokeh than the 24-70...…..

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2020, 20:16:21 »
The Ultron has much better bokeh than the 24-70...…..
That is not comparable as the Ultron is used within it's normal distance range  without extension where the 24-70/2.8 was 'abused' with a 11mm and a 18mm extension tube which is far outside the reasonable limits of that lens  ;)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2020, 20:21:52 »
My Meike kit also arrived yesterday. Everything works, however compared to the Fotodiox 15mm extension I got earlier, the Meike units definitively are much lighter and less sturdily built. Likely the material is some kind of plastic against the metal of the Fotodiox.
Yes, I noticed it is very light. Hopefully sturdy enough.   An advantage may be that's not too heavy to carry with you. ;)

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #86 on: March 22, 2020, 16:03:01 »
A simple reversion adapter can sometimes also do the trick instead of extender rings.
This afternoon I tired a setup using an old non-ai 28/3.5 revered mounted on D5200. Magnification is quite high and requires a steady setup. Seems I hit focus about right at the 50 cent coin.
With a flash mounted it is a simple setup in the field trying to capture e.g insekts....
There is many possible combination of lenses where some probably are better then other. If a zoom works then magnification can be changed easily.
I don't think many uses reversing adapters today…..

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: March 22, 2020, 17:11:36 »
An old trick that has been brandished on NG before is using a reversed 36-72mm f/3.5 Nikon SE lens in conjunction with a 4T attachment (to the rear, near the camera). Very versatile and the quality is surprisingly good. You do get up to 3X magnification if memory serves. I have one or two of these setups "somewhere" in my lens cupboards. Perhaps now is the time to locate them again ans start experimenting.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #88 on: March 22, 2020, 18:06:25 »
Seems to be an easy to get lens on ebay and cheap.
I remember a ring to put on the rear (front) so it is easier to preset an aperture but adjust focus at full aperture and then easy to be able to stop down for exposure. Think I have one of these rings…...somewhere…..

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #89 on: May 13, 2020, 09:53:59 »
Does a converter for S-mount for the internal helicoil exist? For the Z ;)