Author Topic: Adapter thread. The new Lords of the Rings.  (Read 27759 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Adapter thread. The new Lords of the Rings.
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2020, 22:42:13 »
With an OVF there is always the possibility of exchanging or replacing the focusing screen to suit a particular area of application. With say a clear-glass screen and proper eye accommodation one can see surprisingly lowly lit scenes. The EVF simply gets too noisy to be of much assistance under similar circumstances.

The hardest for an EVF is dealing with a wide-angle lens in low light. One might see the image -- well, sort of -- but ascertaining focus is nearly impossible. Nowhere is this more acute than for my UV work.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2020, 07:00:44 »
I wonder where the DSLR market will go.....if there still will be a full range of DSLRs or mirror less will take care of the lower end DSLRs so we only see some high end DSLRs in the future?
Will we see a D5700 or D5800 in the future?     …..Z-50 is still a bit more expensive than the lower end DSLRs.
Will see if any new rings/adapters will be "Z" only. The new F-lenses we see come out are for the high-end market…...it seems…..

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2020, 07:58:13 »
My K&F F to Z adapter had arrived. Very solid, good value for money. And looks and handles much better with manual lenses than the clunky FTZ.

Looks very nice, Luc.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2020, 10:48:28 »
That kind of "dumb" adapter does nicely with an non-CPU lens. However, once the lens has a CPU inside, one either has to forego all its features, or use an adapter that  transmits the signals *and* translates the communication protocol, like the FTZ. I would wish for a more compact version of the latter to improve handling with smaller lenses.

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2020, 10:51:11 »
My K&F F to Z adapter had arrived. Very solid, good value for money. And looks and handles much better with manual lenses than the clunky FTZ.

Superb combo, Luc !

The lens looks like as new as the Z body ! ;)

This adapter is a good idea for  wide-angle or standart lenses indeed.

With a tripod' quick plate attached to the FTZ, you have to remove it before  mounting it. Annoying...

FTZ adapter is helpful only when you use a tripod or a chipped Nikon  F lens.
Francis Devrainne

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2020, 10:55:30 »
Oups...

Didn't read Birna's last post, which confirm what I just said.  :)
Francis Devrainne

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2020, 10:56:43 »
An eBay search on "Olympus OM lens to nikon z" brings up dozens of adapters. Just take your pick. Note these are "dumb" adapter so no communication to the camera, as usually is the mirrorless reality. A throwback to the early '60s in that respect :(

Some makes say they communicate Aperture to the body, but can they also close the aperture from the body??? OM Mechanics seems pretty straight forward...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2020, 10:57:40 »
no hurries, I still wait for the 1.2/50S as native lens before I purchase...
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2020, 11:53:52 »
Looks very nice, Luc.
Thanks John. Yes it looks quite sexy doesn't it :D
I hope it inspires me to shoot again with the AIs trio (28-50-105) I've got. I used them quite extensively with the D700. On the Df I used them less because for some reason I was unable to connect with that camera and I found correct focusing troublesome. Also my eyesight is getting worse over the years. With the Z6 and it's combination of EVF zoom and focus peaking that's not a problem anymore.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2020, 11:57:30 »
Well, if you don't mind it's a Canon 50mm f/1.2  :o 8)

https://techartpro.com/?product=techart-canon-ef-nikon-z-autofocus-adapter-tzc-01

TECHART Canon EF – Nikon Z Autofocus Adapter (TZC-01)
Erik Lund

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2020, 11:57:54 »
Superb combo, Luc !

The lens looks like as new as the Z body ! ;)

This adapter is a good idea for  wide-angle or standart lenses indeed.

With a tripod' quick plate attached to the FTZ, you have to remove it before  mounting it. Annoying...

FTZ adapter is helpful only when you use a tripod or a chipped Nikon  F lens.
Thanks Francis. I do use my gear but in a careful way ;) The 50mm I bought new in 2009, I also have a AIs 28mm f2.8 and 105mm f2.5. And a 180mm f2.8 AI(s) is on my wishlist.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2020, 12:01:07 »
Some makes say they communicate Aperture to the body, but can they also close the aperture from the body??? OM Mechanics seems pretty straight forward...

No on both questions.

Hacking the FTZ electronics and the translated communication protocol is of course entirely feasible, but likely is an infringement of Nikon's patent(s). I value my standing with Nikon higher than attempting anything in this direction.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2020, 09:17:50 »
I don't have a Z-body yet but I have some lenses for the classic Voigtländer Prominent like 50/2 Ultron and 50/1.5 Nokton (these are the original Ultron and Nokton…..not the Japanese Cosina lenses).
Is anyone aware of a classic Prominent to Z-adapter (such an adapter needs a focus helicoid). An adapter exists to Leica M like this (and I also think to Nikon S-mount):
https://www.adorama.com/fdpminentlms.html
There also exists a Leica M to Z-mount like this:
https://nikonrumors.com/2019/04/03/7artisans-also-has-a-new-nikon-z-mount-adapter-for-leica-m-mount-lenses.aspx/

Then it should be possible to combine the two adapters and achieve infinity focus with classic 50mm Prominent lenses I guess…..

I also have a few Leica M lenses…...so Leica M adapter could be used standalone also…...in case I get a Z-body...….

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2020, 09:34:47 »
Definitively easy with Prominent-Leica M and Leica M-Z adapter. The last variety is a breeze as there are many different offerings at present. The diversity of Z adapters increases all the time. Nikon S(RF)-Z have been on the market for a long time, not all are good though, but some are excellent.

If you like a particular old lens and need two adapters to attach the lens to a Z body, consider epoxy'ing the adapters for increased stability. These adapters tend to be quite cheap and if you find a good combination, make the most of it.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2020, 09:49:38 »
Ok.....as it seems the Leica M adapter is rather cheap I could get two of these and glue one of the two to the Prominent adapter.
I have used Loctite medium strength for similar tasks with good results but two component araldite could also be an option :-)

1. step would be to get a Z-body.....I wonder when next generation of Z-bodies will be released…….I would like a Z-DX type but with IBIS....