Author Topic: Nikkor Z-mount roadmap updated  (Read 14946 times)

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
Re: Nikkor Z-mount roadmap updated
« Reply #75 on: November 28, 2020, 15:08:40 »
I never used the screwdriver AF-Version and it won't autofocus with the FTZ-Adapter (like my 70-180 Micro) thats why i have bought the AF-S VR version
Wolfgang Rehm

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2020, 09:23:39 »
Sorry, I have never used the 105mm AF-D f/2.8 so can not compare it to the AF-S version
Erik Lund

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2020, 11:45:18 »
For me the 105 VR gave the advantages of much better autofocus at longer distances than the AF-D 105 Micro which was quite hopeless in that respect, and also the VR version is easier to manual focus especially at mid to longer distances. However, as others have noted there are some image quality issues and I never quite grew comfortable with the results from the 105 VR. For close-up photography, probably the AF-D is better but I never really compared them side by side. The VR version can be quite good for something like 1:3 magnification but if you go to 1:1 there is indeed a huge amount of chromatic aberration at the edges of the image wide open. I nowadays use the 85 PC-E Micro and 200 AF D Micro for most of my close-ups. I basically use the 85 within its domain up to 1:2 and then the 200 for the tighter close-ups. The 200 also gives a lot of CA wide open and needs to be stopped down but stopped down the image is quite good. However, for automatic focus stacking (using the focus shift feature implemented in some of the latest Nikons), one needs an AF-S or AF-P lens (or Z mount lens for Z cameras) and that limits options to the 60mm AF-S and 105 VR AF-S Micro if one wants tight close-up capabilities.I have noticed my 105 VR sometimes gives unwanted exposure variations when doing stacks (it could be the long period of not being in use) and so in practice I do manual focus stacking instead (and use mostly the 85 and 200). I think it would be great if Nikon were to make a 105 mm AF-S E Nikkor with an electromagnetically controlled aperture. If it is Z only then I suppose I need a Z camera for that. Hopefully the Z 105 maintains the tradition of little focus breathing in the Z lineup that would make it easier to use also for stacks.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2020, 11:59:05 »
https://richardhaw.com/2016/01/24/study-diffraction-on-the-105mm-vr/

i forgot that i even wrote an entire article about it :o :o :o

this was what turned me off the most as i was still actively shooting bugs at that time ::)

before i became a creep and started shooting strangers at the street ::)

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #79 on: November 30, 2020, 12:22:13 »
At the time i tried out the AF-S VR version I was shooting a lot of shiny metal subjects, so the CA would show up in all images and would at the time almost impossible to remove,,,
Erik Lund