Author Topic: Thoughts regarding 105mm, 135mm and other Nikkors of the Manual Focus Era.  (Read 3287 times)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
I briefly had a very early version of 105/2.5 with the 9-blade aperture which forms beautifully rounded opening at any settings.  I also had the L39 mount version when I used Leica M3 and loved its endearing rendition.

Now that I use SIGMA fp, I may want to try the rangefinder versions of 105/2.5 or 85/2.0.
You may find this article interesting, on the original sonnar 10.5cm f2.5 lens: https://imaging.nikon.com/history/story/0045/index.htm

"It is thought that Wakimoto began designing the NIKKOR-P.C 10.5cm f/2.5 after work on NIKKOR-P.C 8.5cm f/2 improvements had been generally completed. These were the circumstances that determined the characteristics of the NIKKOR-P.C 8.5cm f/2 and the NIKKOR-P.C 10.5cm f/2.5. Both lenses were Sonnar-type lenses designed with similar structure and materials. However, the NIKKOR-P.C 10.5cm f/2.5 offered more refined aberration compensation than the NIKKOR-P.C 8.5cm f/2."

This suggests the 10.5cm lens might be a better lens, and usually much cheaper too. The 8.5cm is compact and a nicely proportioned lens though :)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
You may find this article interesting, on the original sonnar 10.5cm f2.5 lens: https://imaging.nikon.com/history/story/0045/index.htm

"It is thought that Wakimoto began designing the NIKKOR-P.C 10.5cm f/2.5 after work on NIKKOR-P.C 8.5cm f/2 improvements had been generally completed. These were the circumstances that determined the characteristics of the NIKKOR-P.C 8.5cm f/2 and the NIKKOR-P.C 10.5cm f/2.5. Both lenses were Sonnar-type lenses designed with similar structure and materials. However, the NIKKOR-P.C 10.5cm f/2.5 offered more refined aberration compensation than the NIKKOR-P.C 8.5cm f/2."

This suggests the 10.5cm lens might be a better lens, and usually much cheaper too. The 8.5cm is compact and a nicely proportioned lens though :)

My brief experience with the Sonnar type tells that it didn't had very strong character.  I guess the know-how of having designed 85/2.0, and the narrower AOV as well as slower speed of 105mm enabled him to tame down the aberrations more successfully.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
The 105 mm f/2,8 Micro AI-S was one of my first lenses and I enjoyed it a lot. Of course I was considering it as covering a portrait lens as well with its 105 mm focal length. Nevertheless I would not say that Bokeh is its greatest strength. Years later  I discovered the differences to and the advantages of the 105 f/2,5. It still shines although  there were other great portrait lenses later (including the two SCs which are part of the AF era)
Wolfgang Rehm

John Harkus

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
The 105/2 AF is a greatly underrated lens, with its soft-bokeh abilities. LZ

I love mine, it's the sort of lens that I don't need often, but gives great results when I do. It's interesting to use the "wrong" settings for the DC control too.
A shame that it's screw-drive and won't autofocus on my Z 6.

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
I love mine, it's the sort of lens that I don't need often, but gives great results when I do. It's interesting to use the "wrong" settings for the DC control too.
A shame that it's screw-drive and won't autofocus on my Z 6.
I somehow believe, Nikon will establish the Z version of this great lens. There is nothing comparable on the world's market, so...  LZ

John Harkus

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
I somehow believe, Nikon will establish the Z version of this great lens. There is nothing comparable on the world's market, so...  LZ

Very true, although I don't hold out much hope. Canon have the 85mm DS, but I appreciate that it's not the same.

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Very true, although I don't hold out much hope. Canon have the 85mm DS, but I appreciate that it's not the same.
  OK, Nikon, let us have the AFS version, at least. Isn't the big deal, technically, to make the FTZ-usable copy of the 105/2 lens!  LZ

John Harkus

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
  OK, Nikon, let us have the AFS version, at least. Isn't the big deal, technically, to make the FTZ-usable copy of the 105/2 lens!  LZ

Every time! I'd get one for sure! Mind you, the Z mount should give the designers a chance to do a really good DC lens

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Every time! I'd get one for sure! Mind you, the Z mount should give the designers a chance to do a really good DC lens
True, indeed! Out of questions! LZ

Petr sheepeck Jůza

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear

.......  If you read this far thank you for indulging me. I hope someone finds this thread useful.

Best,

Dave Hartman

Yes, I do. Thanks to your thread I bought 10.5 2.5 again.  :-)