Author Topic: Photoninja  (Read 9573 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: Photoninja
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2019, 19:26:58 »
Unfortunately, no.  It reads only JPEG, TIFF and PSD/PSB formats.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/product/computational-photography-applications/image-composite-editor/
Thanks Akira for confirming!!

That makes it one extra step for me, CC is faster in that case. Or do you think it's worth the extra step converting the files?   Is a DNG file compatible by the way?

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 19:41:47 »
Capture One is an excellent processor.  It has layers and luminosity masking.  It produces outstanding results from X-Trans files, unlike Adobe.

I have been revisiting some of my Nikon images, and obtaining noticeably improved results in C1.

But for ultimate image editing, Photoshop remains king.

The free "Express" version doesn't offer layers or masks, but I haven't really been in need of them.  The absence of AA filter in the camera even eliminates the need for sharpening.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 19:51:14 »
Thanks Akira for confirming!!

That makes it one extra step for me, CC is faster in that case. Or do you think it's worth the extra step converting the files?   Is a DNG file compatible by the way?

You are welcome.  Yes, the necessity to convert raw to tiff (in my case) adds an extra step.  But it is tolerable for a hobby photographer.  :)

The ICE only reads JPEG, TIFF and PSD/PSB formats, no DNG.   I convert the RAW to 16 bit TIFF, apply the film simulation of flatter curve and correct the CA during the process.  After stitching and trimming, I edit the color and exposure.

When I tried ICE some years ago, it stitched terribly.  Almost all the seams were misaligned.  But, after I switched to Fujifilm/C1 system, I found Tony Northrup of the YouTuber pair "Tony & Chelsea" saying that ICE stitches better than Photomerge.  I was very skeptical but gave it a second try.  I was happily amazed by how much its stitch was improved.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2019, 19:58:04 »
There are many choices for PP software, and it just wouldn't be realistic to expect any particular one to everyone's favorite. Ps & Lr CC serve me well enough that I don't ned to look for others. Although I do have other editors that I got on the advice of other people, I don't use them. That possibly says more about me than it does about those idle editors, but for me they were a waste of time, disk space,  and in some cases, money as well.
Carl

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2019, 20:33:15 »
The absence of AA filter in the camera even eliminates the need for sharpening.

That is also my experience.
Anthony Macaulay

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2019, 21:51:51 »
I've just installed it to see how it handles my Df files. The user interface looks well structured. The lens profiles are not so many (only recent lenses; Zeiss for Canon is there but equivalents for Nikon may be missing...), but I have to admit that my line-up is not really "mainstream".
Otherwise, some good "auto" guesses and useful presets. The workflow is a bit remindful of DxO which I used in the past, so I am not overly fooled.
Airy Magnien

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2019, 21:46:42 »
I got Photo Ninja in 2013 when my newly acquired Fujifilm X-Trans camera was delivering mushy fine picture detail through the Adobe raw converter.  It remains useful for that purpose.
If one only needs a raw converter with only global adjustments, PN is nice and simple and has an pleasant, attractive default conversion "look", analogous to Capture One.  It's "Detail" slider is a unique in the world of midtone contrast enhancements.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2019, 22:03:09 »
PN has a very useful batch feature, and a rudimentary File Manager that I for one use extensively. PN at least last version(s) access network shares very slowly, however.

Its generic handling of RAW files implies it can deal with "unknown" cameras, although colours might be off. Easily corrected with a ColorChecker shot, though. In fact, the very old version 1.25 (from 2014 I think) process Z6 and Z7 NEFs without any problem. (i did install this version to test whether PN runs in Linux, which it does flawlessly).

ianwatson

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2019, 23:19:32 »
Ps & Lr CC serve me well enough that I don't ned to look for others.

I had Lightroom 6 and, a few months ago, went looking for alternatives to avoid a subscription to CC. It surprised me how many programs I would need to replace what Lightroom does for me. One to organise and browse, another for renaming batches of files, a raw converter and then something for local adjustments. Then I realised that the last one had better have some means of sharpening the output or I would have to learn to do that myself.

I made peace with subscribing to CC and am looking forward to figuring out Photoshop as time permits.

That said, Photo Ninja impressed me for the same reason it impressed Keith: very pleasant default rendering and a simple workflow.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2019, 01:40:04 »
I had Lightroom 6 and, a few months ago, went looking for alternatives to avoid a subscription to CC. It surprised me how many programs I would need to replace what Lightroom does for me. One to organise and browse, another for renaming batches of files, a raw converter and then something for local adjustments. Then I realised that the last one had better have some means of sharpening the output or I would have to learn to do that myself.

I made peace with subscribing to CC and am looking forward to figuring out Photoshop as time permits.

That said, Photo Ninja impressed me for the same reason it impressed Carl: very pleasant default rendering and a simple workflow.

I have tried, although not always successfully , to stay out of the arguments about the evils of subscribing to Adobe products. It works for me, and if others choose to use other editors, more power to 'em!  ;)
Carl

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2020, 18:33:44 »
Which ever software you choose it is mostly a problem of familiarity with a particular product! Whilst being no expert I find Lroom works well for me!
My problem at the moment is that my NEF files keep wanting to open in PNinja, so far I can’t figure out how to make Lightroom the default option! Annoying.
Nikon Z7, 24-70mm f4, 14-30, 35, 50,  85.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2020, 19:30:21 »
Since I switched to Fujifikm, I've been happy user of Capture One Express Fujifilm which was actually one of the main reasons for my switch.

I thought you are a SIGMA FP shooter???
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2020, 22:06:22 »
Which ever software you choose it is mostly a problem of familiarity with a particular product! Whilst being no expert I find Lroom works well for me!
My problem at the moment is that my NEF files keep wanting to open in PNinja, so far I can’t figure out how to make Lightroom the default option! Annoying.

Mike, if you use Windows, you can change the default program to open the file by right-clicking an NEF file and change the program at the top of the first tab.  If you are on MacOS, you should be able to do the same thing but unfortunately I forgot how to do that.   ::) :o ::) :o

I thought you are a SIGMA FP shooter???

Frank, yes, I am.  This old thread was initiated when I was using Fuji.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2020, 09:30:06 »
Mike, You are using a Mac if I remember correctly.  Here's how it works on my Mac:
Connect the memory device (camera or card).
Open Image Capture.
Way down at the bottom left is a drop down that allows you to specify which app---or no app---to open when "this device" is connected.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2020, 22:43:42 »
Quick note here:  the latest version of ICE now reads NEF.