Author Topic: Harbinger: The iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max  (Read 24050 times)

ianwatson

Re: Harbinger: The iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2019, 20:31:43 »
I like my iPhone. Just not for photography.

Real cameras, please!

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2019, 21:58:15 »
Nobody is forced to shoot with n iPhone, nor are they prevented.  ;)
Carl

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2019, 22:47:31 »
The best camera in the world is always the one you have with you, so it is great that phones are becoming so capable.  But mobile devices will never displace ILC due to the handling and lenses. 
-Tristin

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2019, 10:06:41 »
A very fair point.

Nobody is forced to shoot with n iPhone, nor are they prevented.  ;)
Hugh Gunn

schwett

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • photos
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2019, 00:58:40 »
iPhones haven't been grippable for some years now.  They are made with the edges rounded and smooth polished. Slippery and easy to drop. Lloyd Chambers has, in the past, used the term 'Brain Dead Ergonomics' to describe some Apple computers. It certainly applies to my naked iPhone Xr.
 I place them in the thickest, fattest, most grippable case available.
BTW, the battery on the iPhone Xr has a very high capacity.

with all respect to lloyd and others opinions about cameras and ergonomics (which i find interesting and often informative), the form factor and usability of modern smartphones and other similar mass market devices are pretty extraordinary by any objective measure. they have virtually no controls, yet are able to do 90%+ of the things that 90%+ of the population used to think you needed a desktop computer for. their thin-ness is part of what makes ubiquitously useful! i’ve always used whatever the latest large format iPhone is, usually without a case or with the thinnest one, and have only extremely rarely dropped one, slip it in and out of a suit jacket or jeans pocket dozens of time a day and basically take it everywhere without friction or hassle.

the elimination of borders, excess thickness, buttons, etc is precisely what makes them universally useful, and what allows such a small device to have a legible screen...

a serious camera, of course, has different constraints and physical limitations, so for now i’m content to carry around my z7 or d850 with all their accompanying very satisfying chunks of glass  :)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2019, 08:44:46 »
Do iPhone users put the protective "glass" skins over their iPhone or android face?

Is it important?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2019, 08:45:33 »
sorry. hit button twice
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2019, 10:46:52 »
Do iPhone users put the protective "glass" skins over their iPhone or android face?

Is it important?

I never use a protective skin.  But I take reasonable care not to put the phone where it might be scratched, so for example I do not carry it in a pocket with coins or keys.  I do not know how a skin would affect the operation of the touch screen.
Anthony Macaulay

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2019, 14:40:14 »

Is it important?
No, Apple uses the toughest glass out there's no need to protect it.

I do use a leather case however to protect phone itself and make it less slippery while handling it:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MWYC2/iphone-11-pro-leather-case-forest-green?fnode=42

These are a lot better than the cheaper silicone cases btw which are too sticky making it harder to slide the iPhone in and of a pocket, they also wear very quickly on the corners while the leather version ages beautifully as most leather things tend to do.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

chambeshi

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2019, 15:56:21 »
The follow up article by Nasim Mansurov is also interesting, more so I find. I agree with the author that many newcomers to most modern cameras are challenged by the steep learning curve and poorly designed controls. Menu "systems" of prominent brands are impenetrable and worse. IME - admittedly briefly - is the main reason why Sony cameras are a no-go zone. One might adapt to its haptics but the menus are another matter. In contrast, my Nikon system works very well indeed overall. The Z7 with smaller lenses, including the two PF Nikkors, might not be as small and light as a "smart" phone, but such phones with their cameras et al are very different tools.

"Sadly, the outlook for the camera industry is looking pretty grim..... Still, camera manufacturers should think hard about making their cameras easier to use. Instead of increasing the complexity gap between smartphones and specialized cameras, they should focus on what they do best – deliver exceptional image quality with superb ergonomics and simple menu systems. This will at least keep their existing customers from jumping ship."

https://photographylife.com/smartphone-vs-camera-industry

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2019, 17:11:51 »
chambeshi, I am in complete agreement with you, especially on the crying need for simple menu systems.  The seemingly impenetrable menu system that controlled the Fuji XE-1 and sought to control my efforts to use it finally led me to give that camera rio my son and pushed me into the open arms of my ever-strengthening endearment to my Df. In contrast, my wife discovered the iPhone, and iPad and will not touch any other camera, and the images she makes constantly overshadow my efforts. I too fear for the future of the "true" camera and camera industry , be it mirrored reflex or mirrorless marvel. 

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2019, 19:00:39 »
No, Apple uses the toughest glass out there's no need to protect it.

I do use a leather case however to protect phone itself and make it less slippery while handling it:
https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MWYC2/iphone-11-pro-leather-case-forest-green?fnode=42

These are a lot better than the cheaper silicone cases btw which are too sticky making it harder to slide the iPhone in and of a pocket, they also wear very quickly on the corners while the leather version ages beautifully as most leather things tend to do.

Indeed, iPhone cases cab be a very real issue. Not everyone has the same needs, or likes and dislikes, with cases. I use a folding leather case  that also protects my display because my phone lives in the right front pocket of my pants where the leather allows sliding it out to be easy. That is not optimal for photography, but it's a good solution for me, that allows photography, although that requires more attention.

Additionally, as I age my hearing becomes more difficult. and the thin leather lets me hear the phone ringing while in my pocket, and the thicker silicone cases don't do that. This is my 3rd iPhone using the same case model (German made, Kavaj), although a different size for each. It also holds a couple of credit cards and offers RFID protection. I like the cognac color choice.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4GGKHP/ref=twister_B07H4K11C5?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Carl

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2019, 19:42:08 »

Is it important?

I've not seen hard glass covers for smartphone screens --- do they exist? --- only ones made of thin flexible plastic film, that can transmit the touch gestures to the phone's screen underneath. I had such a case on my previous iPhone 5, and it worked OK.
Usually, the cases with the thin film screen protection are marketed as being "waterproof".  Adding a case to make one's phone waterproof seems redundant now that the better phones are now IP67 rated...better than our so-called "water-resistant" DSLRs and lenses!
Like Jan Anne, I consider screen covers not necessary at this point in phone tech history, as the phone screens are made of
1. Glass (which is difficult to scratch at all) and
2. Tempered glass, which is difficult to break.
I try very hard not to carelessly throw around a US$700+ computing device, just as with a US$5000 camera and lens, but accidents will happen, and somehow millions manage to drop and smash their phone screens.
And to the points made by Mark (Schwett), I agree that the designers of the phones ultimately made the right decision by making the bodies of the phones smooth and slick; that leaves the option open for folks like me that want it to be more grippy and ruggedized to add a protective case. They've certainly done an amazing job integrating the thousands of possible functions into a small, pocketable device. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2019, 20:07:11 »
They've certainly done an amazing job integrating the thousands of possible functions into a small, pocketable device.

The closest thing to Capt. Kirk's Communicator, to date!  ;D
Carl

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2019, 22:57:17 »
Do iPhone users put the protective "glass" skins over their iPhone or android face? Is it important?
My wife has a glass cover on her iPhone 7, it works perfectly. Glass adds another layer of protection if you are in the habit of dropping your phone or putting it in a pocket or bag with keys, coins etc. But as others have noted, if you take care of your phone, it shouldn't be necessary.