Author Topic: Harbinger: The iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max  (Read 24053 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Harbinger: The iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max
« on: September 11, 2019, 18:19:38 »
Just a note. My gut is that the new iPhone 11 Pro/Pro Max is a pivot point, especially with the forthcoming “Deep Fusion” mode which combines a series of shots (like stacking) to make a highly detailed shot. The iPhone 11 can also produce DNGs.

The camera now has three cameras:

An ultra-wide 13mm f/2.4 5-element lens with 120-degrees field of view and a 12MP sensor.

A 26mm f/1.8 wide, 6-elements, 12 MP sensor with optical stabilization camera.

A 52mm f/2.0, 6-element lens, with optical stabilization, 2x optical zoom 12MP sensor.

It also works with a fascinating piece of software for video called Filmic, which allows you to use some of the multiple cameras in the iPhone 11. In addition, the iPhone 11 Pro/Pro Max has 512 GB and up to 5 hours more battery time than before.

My best guess is that this event is a toehold on the future and the flag or sign that a beefed-up iPhone can finally handle low to medium photographic tasks, if not right now, then soon.

When you consider you can get DNGs from this camera, Night Mode, and a small host of other features, we have, IMO, crossed a point of no-return. If this is not the next page, then at least the iPhone 11 sends a signal that change indeed is coming.

The thought of carrying an iPhone, a gimbal, and a few other accessories instead of all the gear I now carry is worth thinking about. No, not for landscapes and the kind of close-up I like, but to be able to carry around a camera in my shirt pocket to address all of the times I wish I had a camera with me is tempting. I am getting one and selling a bunch of lenses.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
Re: Harbinger: The iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2019, 22:41:15 »
As we say around here, another nail in the camera maker's coffin.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 23:08:21 »
Alas, I'll have to wait a while for these new iPhone cameras, as I have recently been forced by circumstance to invest in a 2018-issued iPhone.  I have read that some of the cameras in the higher-end Android phones are better and more versatile than the iPhone cameras.
In theory, as long as you could avoid jacking up the ISO beyond 50 or 100, one could get perfectly useful shots from the iPhone raw files.  Lord help you if you want to shoot at high ISO from the tiny sized sensor.
I'd like the wide lens IF it is applicable to video; The current iPhone video takes a 16x9 extraction from the standard 4x3 frame, yielding a less useful, non-wide video field of view.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 23:31:09 »
To me, that is not the point. I suggest we are transitioning as to what we use photography for. I can’t or don’t want to haul a lot of equipment around. I just came back from a 1600-mile trip, carrying a bunch of lenses for the Z7, and a Sony FS-5 video system for video, plus two separate tripods, heads, cables, and on and on.

That’s a job. I would also like to have an upscale smart phone like the iPhone 11 Pro with perhaps a gimbal, a monopod, and perhaps a tiny tripod when I want something simpler, or just take an iPhone out when I walk or whatever. I am liking the idea of making small videos, as well.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 01:28:39 »
I've processed some RAW files of the now obsolete iPhone SE and was already stunned by its image quality.  I then stopped looking at compact digital cameras for good.

According to the YouTuber photographer Ted Forbes of "The Art Of Photography", the latest Sony Xperia 1 can shoot 10bit 4:2:2 4k video internally.

Also, considering the constantly improving vibration reduction of the phone cameras, gimbals for smartphones can be obsolete sooner than expected.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 01:41:14 »
I’ve been photographing since 1956 and have had just above every Nikon digital camera since the CoolPix and the Nikon D1 DSLR and on up to the Nikon Z7. I have scores of lenses and have been very serious about close-up macro and focus stacking.

So, I don’t say this glibly, that for me this is a transitional moment for me, getting the iPhone 11 Pro for some fairly serious work. I still have all my cameras, technical cameras, bellows, and lenses, although I will sell some lenses. I will use all the digital cameras in my studio and especially in winter here in Michigan.

However, I am going to look into what it feels like to have a reasonably capable camera I can place in my pocket. And I have ordered all the accessories already: gimbal, apps, tripod heads, and so on.

Just like flowers ripen, one at a time. This new iPhone 11 Pro is enough for me to give it a serious try. And, I want to make short videos, as well.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 20:00:55 »
Gear I have ready and will be using with the Apple iPhone 11 Pro which I will receive tomorrow includes:

Shure MV88 ioS Digital Stereo Condenser Microphone (+ windscreen)

Bluetooth Camera Remote Shutter for Smartphone

Cellphone Tripod Mount (Arca-Swiss)

DJI Osmo Mobile 3 Smartphone Gimbal (or similar)

Filmic Software for Gimbal

Mini Tripod Stand with Arca/Swiss

Gitzo Monopod with Arca/Swiss

AOKA Compact Carbon Fiber Tripod with Arca/Swiss

There are probably things I am not thinking of, but I am taking this seriously. Just came back from an event where I had probably 80lbs of video and still equipment. My days for that are numbered. If I can make the iPhone 11 Pro work for some of the travel work, it would be nice.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2019, 22:38:48 »
Love the new ultra wide angle lens on the iPhone, seems like another key differentiating feature of a "real" camera has been tackled by Apple.

I'll stick with my Xs for another year but that lens is for sure tempting, I did order the watch series 5 however so my Appletite has been satisfied for now.
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2019, 22:43:17 »
Love the new ultra wide angle lens on the iPhone, seems like another key differentiating feature of a "real" camera has been tackled by Apple.

For now I'll stick with my Xs for another year but that lens is for sure tempting.

The fact that we will be able to shoot multiple cameras in the iPhone at the same time is incredible, thus, with video, we can have a two-camera shoot, wide and tele, with one operator, so that we can edit the resulting streams with one camera. The "Deep Fusion" feature, coming soon looks to be very useful for finer work, also 512 and 5 extra hours of battery life, etc.   

I have the watch series 4 because of the EKG and Afid monitors.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 03:42:28 »
Interesting, the cameras follow the "Rørslett" rule with focal lengths exactly 2x apart. All they need now is a periscope style 105mm, or a tele zoom to give a true telephoto. :o

The trend for many years was for smart phone screens to get bigger, with thinner and finally no borders at all, which is fine. Also for phones to become thinner, which I don't really understand as you don't save much space by making a phone thinner if the screen is bigger. The net result is there is precious little real-estate around the edge for actually holding them, unless it's in a case. A phone a few mm thicker wouldn't be noticeably bigger, but it would give more space to grip them properly, it would be stronger, and allow more space for a bigger battery. More importantly, it would give room for better cameras - bigger sensor, faster lens, longer focal length etc. But "thin" is the fashion...

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2019, 04:14:40 »

The net result is there is precious little real-estate around the edge for actually holding them, unless it's in a case. A phone a few mm thicker wouldn't be noticeably bigger, but it would give more space to grip them properly, it would be stronger, and allow more space for a bigger battery. More importantly, it would give room for better cameras - bigger sensor, faster lens, longer focal length etc. But "thin" is the fashion...
iPhones haven't been grippable for some years now.  They are made with the edges rounded and smooth polished. Slippery and easy to drop. Lloyd Chambers has, in the past, used the term 'Brain Dead Ergonomics' to describe some Apple computers. It certainly applies to my naked iPhone Xr.
 I place them in the thickest, fattest, most grippable case available.
BTW, the battery on the iPhone Xr has a very high capacity.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2019, 06:19:21 »
One of India's English Language TV news channels has been using Samsung for broadcast starting with the Galaxy S 8. and now using S10+.   I have not looked at their Social Media sites.  Live streaming events with numerous , small packages onsite makes it difficult for the authorities to manage.    Obviously not thinking image quality as top priority but does serve the idea of getting the event out live.  Mobile phone submitted vids are always suspect as to validity.   Now it would require reporters/investigators to cherry pick what they film to slant the story but with everyone having mobiles, makes it more accountable.
Sorry, sort of off topic.
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 19:30:31 »
I am the Maverick who hates iPhones; has no desire for a new one; and likes to have a big clunky heavy Nikon in her hand!

Otherwise, I don't enter Photographer-mode at all.

So Nikon, please continue to make your fine cameras even if it is only for me!