Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 320114 times)

GraXXoR

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #1365 on: May 12, 2021, 15:34:49 »
I have to tell you if I saw "Nikon Original Goods" with different size fonts, I would think it was a knock off! Is that normal Nikon labeling? (I'm not implying it is a knockoff, just commenting on poor Nikon quality of the packaging which is normally top notch)

I've seen this packaging in Japan... I think sometimes Japanese designers lack finesse with the Roman alphabet... Go to Nikon's main showroom (located in Ginza, Tokyo) and you'll sometimes see dodgy signage in English. Their recent black packaging has been a serious step down from their gold insignia look from the F mount days...
Even their Nikon 1 packaging was better than the new "slap it in a black box and no-one will notice" look.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #1366 on: May 25, 2021, 13:49:24 »
After having used the new Voice Memo on my Z6 cameras for a while, I'm pleased for the feature finally being available, and confused by the quirks in the implementation. Apparently there are some shooting configurations of the Z6 that do allow voice recording, however there is no indication that such recording is actually being made, and there is no 'sound' icon displayed on playback either. The only indication in-camera is that there now is a question which file to delete if you push the 'Delete' button. Very weird. I was troubled a lot with one of my Z6 bodies that simply refused to indicate 'voice memo' in operation. However, a memo *was' recorded.

Finally I turned on everything in Playback menu, plus a lot of other menu options elsewhere,  and now the audio recording is shown. Must be a glitch or a bug that the developers didn't caught. Is there anyone else noting this quirk?

A surprising aspect of the Voice Memo is that you can attach the audio to any NEF afterwards, this doesn't need to happen immediately after the picture has been taken. In fact, you can make Voice Memo for Z7 *and* D500 files if the card is inserted in the Z6 :) There is no opportunity to attach voice memo to movies though.

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #1367 on: May 26, 2021, 15:08:13 »
Thank you for the info :)
I have no issues with my new to me Z6

By the way there is a new firmware update for Nikon DX 16-50 and there is a significant change in startup time and On from standby time faster than with the FTZ on z50-Z6 :)

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1368 on: June 11, 2021, 06:09:21 »
The Z7 + z24-70/4 at 70mm, f6.7. A crop.  LZ                                         2021-06-09 004 by 2021-06-09 004-2 by longzoom, on Flickr.flickr.com/photos/longzoom/]longzoom[/url], on Flickr

chambeshi

« Reply #1369 on: August 24, 2021, 13:41:49 »
The Z System turned 3 years old, yesterday 23rd August 2018

https://www.zsystemuser.com/nikon-z-system-news-and/so-what-do-i-really-think.html

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
  • I'm here to learn from the best
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #1370 on: August 24, 2021, 17:39:16 »
Strickly from an "image quality" standpoint, other than the Z lenses being better than their F cousins, why would a photographer want to switch to the Nikon Z mirrorless system from the already excellent Nikon F DSLR system? 

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #1371 on: August 24, 2021, 17:46:18 »
Strickly from an "image quality" standpoint, other than the Z lenses being better than their F cousins, why would a photographer want to switch to the Nikon Z mirrorless system from the already excellent Nikon F DSLR system?

LOL :)
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #1372 on: August 24, 2021, 21:00:23 »

If the current system works, you should not switch.

I am not sure I understand the question though, are you saying what aspects of just the body and sensor improve image quality. One might be in body image stabilization.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #1373 on: August 25, 2021, 00:05:25 »

Image quality isn't the only measure of a photograph's worth...

At a cousin's wedding I took photos with a Rollei 80/2.8 Xenotar using the waist level viewfinder. My cousin's bride said to me, "Are you taking pictures of us?" The quiet operation and particularly the non-aggressive use of a waist level viewfinder meant I quickly returned to the "fly on the wall."

My understanding is the Z6 and Z7 family of mirrorless cameras are quiet and the rear LCD monitor can be used as a waist level viewfinder without sacrificing a low shutter release lag time.  Using live view with my D850 does not allow this type of candid photography. At least I haven't found it.

Dave

At this point I'd love a Nikon Z7II with a 24-70/4.0 zoom and a 105/2.8 Micro-Nikkor. I'd also need an FTZ adapter.

---

Strictly in the realm of image quality: low vibrations is very important to close-up and macro. I use AF-C and VR with my D850 and AF-S 105/2.8G IF-ED VR to obtain photo I could not on a tripod. More than the sum if it's parts I believe a Z7 II with a Z 105/2.8 Micro-Nikkor would eat my D850 with AF-S 105/2.8 micro-Nikkor's lunch. Again the "waist level finder" and also the IBIS would be very important.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #1374 on: August 25, 2021, 00:34:32 »
I use virtually none of the modern features that are on the latest camera bodies.   I never stack,  I never use autofocus.  I manually determine all exposures with a hand held light meter.  I shoot only super fast primes wide open at shutter speeds so fast I usually can only use an electronic shutter (so at those speeds IBIS is not needed either).  I only manually focus using a viewfinder and live view.

So, all I care about IQ.  Don't need any of the latest features (e.g. "voice memos", pixel shift, astro-tracing , etc).  Also, super high mega pixels is not needed for my photography either.

My question really boils down to this...    When you look at the photos you've taken with your D850's and compare them against your Z7II images using the same lens, can you tell a difference in the rendering?  If there's not significant and easily detectable improvement, I see no need to upgrade to a Z mirrorless. 

I used to shoot medium format slides.  High quality scans of my old MF slides look awful next to my latest digital images.  Are you seeing that type of night/day difference between your old Nikon DSLR images and your latest Z6/Z7 images?  If not, I will not waste my money upgrading to Z mirrorless.  Incramental improvement in IQ is not enough to make me open up my wallet.

Erlewine.   I've seen your stacked photos posted on this site (and elsewhere) for many years.   Frankly, I see no improvements in your images since you've gone to Z mirrorless from your D850 bodies (your images produced from both cameras are equally terrific to my eyes).  While improved features might make the capture faster or easier, I don't care about that at all, only the final image quality.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #1375 on: August 25, 2021, 00:53:44 »

Erlewine.   I've seen your stacked photos posted on this site (and elsewhere) for many years.   Frankly, I see no improvements in your images since you've gone to Z mirrorless from your D850 bodies (your images produced from both cameras are equally terrific to my eyes).  While improved features might make the capture faster or easier, I don't care about that at all, only the final image quality.

Both the D850 which I still have and the Z7II produce quality images, IMO, so stay where you are, if that is your concern.

However, I very much  like the Z7II for its lightweight, fast processors, easy to use internal stacking, and especially the new Z lenses, like the Z 105 Macro, which has autofocus, is VERY sharp, and has a quality all its own. The Z 70-200mm is also incredibly good and has autofocus, and the NOCT 0.95 is in a category all its own (but no autofocus). 

The images of both cameras are good. Here is one from the other day on the Z7II, Z 105Macro.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

BruceSD

• Confirmed Bokeholic
  • NG Member
    • The F/2 Guru
« Reply #1376 on: August 25, 2021, 01:14:39 »
Thanks much for the detailed responses!

Looks like the two main areas of improvement are "fancy features" and "new incredible lenses". 

I've previously mentioned that none of the new features interest me, and also I have no interest in the terrific new Z lenses as I mostly shoot custom adapted ("Frankensteined") oddball non-photographic lenses.

So, for the foreseeable future I think I'll just keep on shooting my old reliable Nikon DSLR bodies...

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1377 on: August 25, 2021, 03:51:07 »
There's image quality and there are new features with the (not so new) Z series.
IBIS (w all my lenses from the 60s to 2021) and higher frame rate enabling new pictures. For me that counts as quality.
1/3 less body weight is a very important feature for my use.
That doesn't mean I am discounting any of the legacy F bodies :)
YMMV  8)
Another Austrian Terminator in California

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #1378 on: August 25, 2021, 08:35:14 »

My question really boils down to this...    When you look at the photos you've taken with your D850's and compare them against your Z7II images using the same lens, can you tell a difference in the rendering?  If there's not significant and easily detectable improvement, I see no need to upgrade to a Z mirrorless. 

It's more or less the same sensors in D850 and the Z7 I and II and they perform equally well for all normal photography - They are the peak of full frame cameras.
The difference is that Z7 is very different to manually focus, the lens elements move via 'fly by wire' so the native Nikkor mirrorless lenses are IMHO not interesting to use, if you are a person who likes to do manual focusing - I would even call it frustratingly bad,,,
Even the auto focus system is lacking behind the DSLR, D850 by miles. I often find that the Z7 will completely miss focus.
For video the new Z system is very much another story - Much better than a DSLR
Erik Lund

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #1379 on: August 25, 2021, 09:57:35 »
Bruce, if you "mostly shoot custom adapted ("Frankensteined") oddball non-photographic lenses", then the short 16mm sensor to lens flange register distance of the Z6/Z7 camera bodies will allow for all kinds of such lenses to be used with infinity focus via the many adapters now on the market to graft such lenses onto the Nikon Z bodies without having to modify the lenses or their lens mounts as is sometimes needing to be done for the 46.5mm register of the F-bodies. 

And for some oddball lenses they simply cannot be put onto an F-body if infinity focus is desired.
Hugh Gunn