Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316116 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #1290 on: May 20, 2020, 17:03:24 »
OM Zuiko 2.8/100mm
ca 1985
Z6
K&F Adapter
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #1291 on: May 21, 2020, 09:07:42 »
Unfortunately, only a pouch for filters not a "new" FTZ with drop-in filter drawer ....

Even more unfortunately, the release of this pouch is postponed to June 5th...

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1253733.html

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #1292 on: May 23, 2020, 08:38:04 »
Thanks for showing whats possible!

Looks like a Frankenstein contraption  :o

It's like, does everything but not very well instead of purpose build,,, I know what I prefer

I would have to agree with you.  Kohei-sha is originally manufacturer of various accessories for the astrophotography.  So, this adapter is intended for more of a static use.

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1293 on: June 06, 2020, 17:19:33 »
I used my Z50 + 50/1.8S for some hand hold repro work of old family photos.
Then I looked at the aperture when I used the wheel to change the value. It stoppes down to 5.6 like a "real" rangefinder. So if I make exposures at 5.6 then all measurements are made stopped down and it is not like a SLR where aperture stops down during exposure. But from 5.6 and to 22 the measurements are "predicted" like SLR and it stops down during exposure.
I don't know if camera makes a "precise" exposure measurement just after aperture is stopped down or it stays with the predicted value.
I guess that down to 5.6 the camera can make everything it should "precise enough" like AF and Exposure but from 5.6 to 22 there is not "light enough" to function properly.
This was just an observation I was not aware of :-)

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #1294 on: June 09, 2020, 22:53:10 »
Then I looked at the aperture when I used the wheel to change the value. It stoppes down to 5.6 like a "real" rangefinder
I guess that down to 5.6 the camera can make everything it should "precise enough" like AF and Exposure but from 5.6 to 22 there is not "light enough" to function properly.
This was just an observation I was not aware of :-)
This feature has been noted before, a and is a good compromise. As you say, at f/5.6 and wider, the camera still has enough light for metering and focusing. I'm not sure how well the camera works with the zooms that end at f/6.3 and smaller :o

With real-time stop-down to f/5.6 you get a good sense of the DoF and bokeh at the wider apertures, without needing to press a DoF preview button. This is good for photographers who mostly shoot at wider apertures. For macro and landscape etc where greater DoF may be needed the photographer may need to use a DoF preview button to ensure everything is sufficiently in focus.

This feature also eliminates most of the problems due to focus shift. Focus shift mostly occurs when stopping down from wider apertures, beyond f/5.6 it is almost completely eliminated so there should be no difference between the focus point at f/5.6 and the stopped-down focus point.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #1295 on: June 13, 2020, 11:15:50 »
The Australian prices of Nikon FTZ Adapters have skyrocketed in price by around 2 to 2.5 times since what they were six months ago.

Has this been the case in other countries or is it just a local phenomenon?

TIA.
Hugh Gunn

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1296 on: June 13, 2020, 11:21:29 »
In the Nikon Store the price is around 300 Euros in Denmark so can't be worse than that?
At retail the price normally is a bit lower.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #1297 on: June 15, 2020, 15:14:34 »
The Australian prices of Nikon FTZ Adapters have skyrocketed in price by around 2 to 2.5 times since what they were six months ago.
TIA.

In Europe, prices haven't increased at all. I have been monitoring FTZ prices in the last month, and I have noticed the appearence on eBay of a somewhat large number of "like new, never opened package" items for sale and auction. Probably some people buying a Nikon mirrorless with FTZ adapter and then selling the FTZ because by now the Z lens choices are broader. A standard european price is between 220 and 280€. Chinese imported: seen as low as 145€ (down from 175€), but then there's customs which brings you back to 200€.

BTW, I have just won an FTZ at an Ebay auction for 155GBP (+20GBP SHP), which is about 194€. Of the "Like new, never opened" type.

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #1298 on: June 20, 2020, 14:57:05 »
Slowly getting back into the game with the Z6 (and D500), currently bringing the gear up to speed for some upcoming projects.

Is there a consensus which is the better Arca plate with extended grip for the Z6 a few years after its release?

For now I seem to prefer the one from RRS but the pricing in the EU is insane at €280 / $313....
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #1299 on: June 20, 2020, 15:07:13 »
As for adapters for the Z7 for old Nikon-F lenses, I am tired of the FTZ adapter. It is hard to switch from vertical to horizontal on my setup. I don't care about the electrical coupling that much, since I mainly use old Exotic lenses that won't work with the FTZ anyway. I know it is supposed to be a marvel, but I find myself feeling it was poorly designed for my work.

I end up using (and happy with) a $15 Fotasy asapter that is perfectly round and does not interfere with anything. It seems robust enough for my work.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JFRVD2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #1300 on: June 20, 2020, 19:51:57 »
I use the Kirk plate for the FTZ which allows quick changes from horizontal to vertical.  When it's attached to the FTZ the combination is roughly symmetrical and reasonably compact.  The price is reasonable in the U.S.  (I'm not familiar with import duties and VAT rates for other countries, or how those might affect the price if the item is purchased in the EU instead of the U.S.)

simsurace

• NG Member
« Reply #1301 on: June 20, 2020, 22:20:40 »
I settled with the Gabale L-Bracket but also have the Smallrig when I want a larger rig  :P
Simone Carlo Surace
suracephoto.com

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1302 on: June 20, 2020, 23:32:00 »

TIA.
Nothing like this in NYC.  I did see refurbished (by Nikon) one, for $200.   LZ

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #1303 on: June 21, 2020, 00:08:31 »

TIA.

Except around last October, the price of the brand new FTZ has stayed around 30,000 JPY.   ::)

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #1304 on: June 26, 2020, 21:06:40 »
I had the opportunity to play with Z 50 yesterday and the overall impression is very good
Small, light and capable and the 16-50 lens is a good performer for a camera that can be almost always with me 8)
I checked some f mound lenses with FTZ- 35 dx, 50, 85 all f1.8 with not much significance IQ difference except 85
I also check AF-S 300/4 but I noticed some delay  or not focus sometimes
The same lens is working with no issues on my D750
Tamron 150-600 no G2 as expected was only manual focus and also Tamron 70-200 2.8 G2 after firmware update was OK
Do you have similar issues with autofocus in lens you checked or not?
By the way Z50 in such a big lens is not a good idea you need something bigger to handle better
After holding Z 50 with kit lens, D750 with its kit 24-105 looks like a monster, almost 3X on weight
Thank you