Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316153 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #1275 on: May 10, 2020, 13:31:22 »
I was out yesterday and shoot with Z50 + 16-50 kit zoom lens. It is a very handy combination. Lens seems very sharp. If I zoom in to 100% images are "pixel sharp".
What I discovered is that camera exposes so "white histogram" is inside limits. I guess this is luminance. But I can see that the RGB histogram in post processing on PC then usually a color is over exposed. I can "pull" is back by applying -0.5 - -1.2 EV or so. In the pictures below with blue sky the blue color was over exposed and picture of red car the red color was over exposed. I use standard matrix metering. I can't see the overexposure in histogram in viewfinder. Are the Z-cameras "color blind"?    ….ok.....I shoot RAW so no problem in getting the color back and if this kind of over exposure reduces noise then it is probably as it should be.

I am satisfied with picture quality…

I know that behavior from processing D500 files. You should go for a less agressive than the "standard" preset as a starting point for your RAW workflow. Once you get used to these files you will be more than happy with them. ACR can explore other depth and heights than NX-D, which is better in the color domain.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

MEPER

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1276 on: May 10, 2020, 13:41:41 »
I know that behavior from processing D500 files. You should go for a less agressive than the "standard" preset as a starting point for your RAW workflow. Once you get used to these files you will be more than happy with them. ACR can explore other depth and heights than NX-D, which is better in the color domain.

Ok....thank you!
Something to look at. I use NX-D.
Image below is the green car closer and a 100% crop of dashboard. Lens set to 50mm /f 6.3 (wide open) at 1/20 sec. VR works fine.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1277 on: May 16, 2020, 00:22:36 »
I have been shooting for  the last couple of weeks with older Nikon bodies and coming back to the Z6 with the 50mm 1.8 puts the advantages of the new system into perspective. Just the overall sound and the precision and consistency of the autofocus

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #1278 on: May 16, 2020, 01:33:29 »
I have been shooting for  the last couple of weeks with older Nikon bodies and coming back to the Z6 with the 50mm 1.8 puts the advantages of the new system into perspective. Just the overall sound and the precision and consistency of the autofocus

Exquisite profile, Paco.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1279 on: May 16, 2020, 01:57:28 »
Thank you Akira, I really appreciate it.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #1280 on: May 16, 2020, 08:27:51 »
Beautiful Portrait.   I do like the AF and sound of the D3s more than the Z's  ;)

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #1281 on: May 16, 2020, 09:15:01 »
Very nice portrait, lovely B/W conversion.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1282 on: May 16, 2020, 15:59:08 »

Thank you all for your encouragement.

Beautiful Portrait.   I do like the AF and sound of the D3s more than the Z's  ;)

I may be bias against louder sound. One specific time I had a big problem with the shutter/mirror sound of the D700 on a theater. Since then, the quieter the better :)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #1283 on: May 16, 2020, 17:09:51 »
  Thank you all for your encouragement.

I may be bias against louder sound. One specific time I had a big problem with the shutter/mirror sound of the D700 on a theater. Since then, the quieter the better :)

I know. There are a number of situations which require silence.  But if you can do what you want, I like the a small click as a kind of recognition  ;)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1284 on: May 18, 2020, 00:14:29 »
 :) :) :) ;)

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #1285 on: May 20, 2020, 09:45:14 »
At the same time of the D6 announcement, a FTC-01 interface is announced with filter tray.

https://nikonrumors.com/2020/05/20/the-nikon-d6-will-start-shipping-in-japan-on-june-5.aspx/#more-146252
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #1286 on: May 20, 2020, 10:23:32 »
Unfortunately, only a pouch for filters not a "new" FTZ with drop-in filter drawer ....

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #1287 on: May 20, 2020, 10:46:17 »
Another FTZ-F with Filter drawer really would be a true improvement of the Z-system - which is very simple to realize
similar to a FTZ-AI version with enhanced AI/AI-S-support capability (maybe combined)- a bit more sophisticated
FTZ-AF with integrated screwdriver AF-motor then would be the maximum compatibility option but technically more difficult
Wolfgang Rehm

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #1288 on: May 20, 2020, 13:01:07 »
I'm not sure if I have posted this link before, but Kohei-sha in Japan makes its original SLR-lens to mirrorless-body adaptors that accomodate a 52mm or a 48mm filter, although there is no electric contact.

http://www.koheisha.net/sony/Bayonet/Bayonet_mount01.html

It currently offers Nikon F, Canon EOS, Pentax K and M54 mounts for the lenses and Nikon Z and Canon RF mounts for full frame as well as Fuji X, Sony E and Canon M mount bodies.  All lens mounts and body mounts are interchangeable.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #1289 on: May 20, 2020, 15:21:16 »
Thanks for showing whats possible!

Looks like a Frankenstein contraption  :o

It's like, does everything but not very well instead of purpose build,,, I know what I prefer
Erik Lund