Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316071 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #1170 on: February 09, 2020, 10:26:31 »
My Ultra-Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/2 has a serial number close to the lenses illustrated on the Red Book page. It's not the h-line version.

The rose was shot at approx 1:2 thus outside the optimum range and hence image circle presumably was larger.

chambeshi

« Reply #1171 on: February 13, 2020, 08:24:52 »
https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/6739481235/ces-2020-interview-nikon-we-are-at-a-transitional-stage

He confirms what we know. The Zed system is indeed top priority, but he reiterates parallel R&D on MILC and DSLR , all good BUT.... "...prioritize both DSLR and mirrorless. We also want to complete our Z system: that’s the first priority. At a certain point, we hope that all DSLR customers will [ultimately] be satisfied by the features provided by mirrorless, and will shift to the Z system. That’s the goal. But until then, we will continue to develop DSLRs."

"..We’re actually going in both directions. The Z 50 is a good entry-level body, using the DX format, but we also want to expand the FX lineup at both the high-end, and the more affordable level."

There's further confirmation of forthcoming the 2 FX pancake primes, and that there will indeed be only a few DX Z-Nikkors, based on the logic that there are key FX lenses that work very well on DX cameras, given these cameras share the Z-mount. With respect to internal operations within the company, he also admits the Z system changes fundamental aspects of R&D and production.

They are also thinking about Z-mount teleconverters. Good news :-)

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/6739481235/ces-2020-interview-nikon-we-are-at-a-transitional-stage

Compared to barely 1 year ago, Nikon ranks its Zed System as of even higher prominence
https://nikonrumors.com/2019/03/25/dpreview-interview-with-nikon-customers-ask-us-for-a-dx-mirrorless-camera-we-listed-to-our-customers.aspx/

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #1172 on: February 13, 2020, 08:39:17 »
Thanks for the link, an interesting interview.  We can expect more firmware updates, I understand as the main news ;)

chambeshi

« Reply #1173 on: February 13, 2020, 09:28:23 »
Thanks for the link, an interesting interview.  We can expect more firmware updates, I understand as the main news ;)
Yes. This is welcome news :-)

"The firmware update was promised a long time ago - why did it take so long to become available?"

'To be honest, it was just a question of resources. But after I took over product planning, we are planning to schedule firmware updates more frequently. We don’t want that kind of delay [again] between the announcement of firmware and its availability. We want to do regular scheduled firmware updates to keep the products up to date for a long time.'

And this implies updating firmware keeps the camera viable for longer. And if he is correct, over Nikon's 'transitional stage', we should see "both mirrorless and DSLR bodies which share common technology."

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1174 on: February 14, 2020, 10:49:44 »
One of the many aspects of the Z system that endears it to me is the ease of using old lenses. I have a large body of lenses with Nikon rangefinder (S) mount and many of these are not just small, they are decent performers even by today's standards.

I briefly tried to solve this by acquiring a Sony from the A7-series, but the poor haptics and confusing UI made me sell off the Sony within a few months. Now, thanks to the Z6/7 the old goodies can again be brought back to an existence as visual tools. Handling the old lenses takes time to master thus one is slowed down. which for many photographic intents can be beneficial indeed.

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1175 on: February 14, 2020, 11:16:58 »
Without trying to teach you how to suck eggs, but one can of course use the Techart TZE-01 Sony E to Nikon Z adapter to utilise Sony E mount lenses!
Nikon Z7, 24-70mm f4, 14-30, 35, 50,  85.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1176 on: February 14, 2020, 11:21:11 »
The Sony E lenses are modern with all what that entails ... I went cursorily into the Sony brand aiming to use old lenses, not to purchase new ones :)

And then there is the size aspect of the lenses.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #1177 on: February 14, 2020, 13:28:07 »
When observing Nikkor S rangefinder lenses on the Z it's very obvious how far to the front of the camera mount the sensor plane has moved, if one was to compare with an Nikon Rangefinder camera,,, gives an indication on what in theory could be possible if one was to cut down on the electronics and make an EVF that was as slim as a rangefinder,,,  :o Lovely compact set anyhow!

Erik Lund

Mike G

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1178 on: February 14, 2020, 15:49:23 »
The Sony E lenses are modern with all what that entails ... I went cursorily into the Sony brand aiming to use old lenses, not to purchase new ones :)

And then there is the size aspect of the lenses.
I understand what you say!
Nikon Z7, 24-70mm f4, 14-30, 35, 50,  85.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1179 on: February 14, 2020, 19:37:11 »
For the true "bokeh" enthusiast, a superfast Heligon is high on the bucket list. With the short register distance of the Z system (16mm) and helped by a well-dimensioned helicoid extension, even the fabulous Rodenstock XR-Heligon 100mm f/1.6 becomes a "general-purpose" lens !! General purpose as being able to focus to infinity and having a flat-field rendition for a change. Still no aperture control however, so all the bokeh is brought to bear on the motif.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #1180 on: February 14, 2020, 20:36:42 »
Very good idea to get my Heligon connected to Z.  The lens has now a 52mm thread and the K2. So only a 52mm --  helicoid extension --  52mm- with a Z-mouth should do the trick?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1181 on: February 14, 2020, 20:59:11 »
You need a wide helicoid to allow seating the Heligon deep inside. Otherwise there is no hope for infinity focus.

I used a 65mm helicoid. 58-52 in front and a factory Z mount to the rear.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #1182 on: February 14, 2020, 21:06:40 »
Ah, Thanks Birna!  That's clear, the lens must go into the helicoid.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1183 on: February 14, 2020, 22:45:22 »
John: the lens extends about 13mm inside the helicoid (Pixco 17-31mm M65mm diameter). Focus from infinity to approx. 80cm from film plane.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1184 on: February 15, 2020, 12:32:08 »
Another relevant aspect of the Z system is the ease of making bespoke adapters for it. Here are two easily build ones, left an M42-Z and right F-Z version, respectively. Both are quickly made from existing parts and a factory spare Z mount, of which I secured a good supply.

The M42 is for attaching helicoids for lenses that need a short register distance, such as the CRT Nikkor-O 55mm f/1.2. The compact F-Z is for attaching the Z body to an existing F-mount bellows or similar without incurring the overhang of the FTZ adapter. In my case, the robust PB-4 bellows device.