Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 320153 times)

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #1080 on: December 30, 2019, 17:01:14 »
I had these settings i actually modified these to less extreme values.
Changed the af settings to dynamic area AF, it's all a matter of getting used to a new system,
memory knowledge doesnt work here. ;)

Hermann

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1081 on: December 31, 2019, 12:39:09 »
The IBIS makes a huge difference with all the lenses, including the AI, AI-S and Pre-AI

Well, my use would be something like this (at least that's what I think at the moment):
  • I usually shoot fairly high shutter speeds, probably because of the many years shooting film cameras. I only tend to use low shutterspeeds when the camera is on a tripod (for landscapes, macro, night photography).
  • Most of AF-S lenses I'd use on the Z50 have VR, so I don't think I'd really need IBIS even if I'm shooting at low shutter speeds.
  • The AIS lenses I'd use most are the 2,8/55 and the 4/105 for macro and the long lenses, especially the 5.6/400. In both cases I'll use a tripod most of the time anyway.
Does that make sense? Or is there a mistake somewhere?

A related question: I believe - but I may well be wrong there - that cleaning the sensor of cameras with IBIS isn't quite a straightforward as cleaning a sensor of a camera without IBIS. How do you clean the sensor of the Z6/Z7? Just like the sensor of a DSLR, but a bit more carefully in order to make sure you don't damage the IBIS?

Hermann

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #1082 on: December 31, 2019, 15:18:56 »
Does that make sense? Or is there a mistake somewhere?
I just say IBIS makes in a lot of (perhaps unforseen) cases a big difference.

A related question: I believe - but I may well be wrong there - that cleaning the sensor of cameras with IBIS isn't quite a straightforward as cleaning a sensor of a camera without IBIS. How do you clean the sensor of the Z6/Z7? Just like the sensor of a DSLR, but a bit more carefully in order to make sure you don't damage the IBIS? Hermann
No difference at all. Power off will lock the IBIS system and cleaning is identical to other camera's without IBIS.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #1083 on: January 01, 2020, 16:28:46 »
The Z50 with the 400mm f/5.6 Nikkor ED-IF AIS. Exposure 1/4 sec, f/9. ISO 320.

Photo Ninja has no Z50 profile (yet), thus colours might be a little off, but close enough.

(this is on a tripod, but I took no special precautions and thus no cable/remote release).

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1084 on: January 01, 2020, 17:06:10 »
The 35mm f/1.8S is my favourite combination with the Z50. Very light weight setup, and results are excellent. The AF focusing on the Z50 is not ultrafast but for all intents more than sufficiently quick.

I do happen to like having a "normal" angle of view and that is exactly what the 35 delivers on the Z50.

Hermann

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1085 on: January 01, 2020, 22:59:22 »
The Z50 with the 400mm f/5.6 Nikkor ED-IF AIS. Exposure 1/4 sec, f/9. ISO 320.

Photo Ninja has no Z50 profile (yet), thus colours might be a little off, but close enough.

(this is on a tripod, but I took no special precautions and thus no cable/remote release).

Thank you, Birna. That looks pretty good, I must say. I actually hadn't expected that old lens to do so well on the Z50.

Looks like I'll get myself a Z50 very soon.

Hermann

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1086 on: January 01, 2020, 23:15:45 »
I do have sharper lenses than the old 400 of course, but it has plenty of appeal left :) An easy lens to bring on trips when heavier gear is an obstacle.

My 400 is CPU-enabled and thus allows setting 1/3 stops with some confidence (it is AIS and has a linear aperture mechanism).

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #1087 on: January 01, 2020, 23:44:39 »
Regarding the startup time, how does it influence the shooting when doing street photography, anyone with input on this.

The Z6 is slow enough to wake up that I wouldn't recommend it for street photography unless you shoot from the waist.  Despite it's FPS, it is generally a slow camera.
-Tristin

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #1088 on: January 02, 2020, 05:03:23 »
Well Tristin, I agree that the Z6 is slower than my DSLRs' but there are workarounds for making it faster.   The Sony a7ii and a7rii were very slow cameras in respects but I was able to use them for Street but not for fast paced events (not fast speed Events  ;) ).    The a7iii and Z6 are both fast enough for most of my Event shooting and certainly fine for Street.   I do use the touchscreen a lot for Documentary and Street at waist level and lower .  Also for overhead shots at many Events.    Much better than my Sony bodies and DSLRs'.   The Silent shooting is a big Plus over my DSLRs'.   Shooting indoor Events means I need to check out the type of lighting beforehand when silent shooting is a requirement.   At the moment if you require instant , unexpected shots , stay with DSLR.   I even shoot small, erratic fast birds but it I a different way of shooting to my D500 and D3S (sold) , D750( killed) .   I continue to shoot MILC and DSLR depending on what I am shooting.   Hopefully Nikon will come out with a Sony a9ii equivalent (or better) body but I really do not need any longer.  I guess much depends on individual styles of shooting.
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #1089 on: January 02, 2020, 14:26:57 »
The last day of 2019 I went and bought myself a z6. I have a few lenses and flashes left from the DSLR-days (even a well worn D3s that work occasionally), but I have been using Olympus m4/3 for the last few years. I bought a kit with the ftz-adapter and a 24-70 f4. The lens seem like a good one, but I can't say I like the "click to activate"-function. I like the lens to be ready when I switch on the camera. Minor annoyance. Otherwise the camera seem to function very well, but I haven't seem to got the face detect working. I have to dive into the menu for that one. I also have to do something about the sleep-function. It goes to sleep faster than my father reading the news paper and that is pretty fast,  I can tell you! Compared to the m4/3 gear the IBIS is downright bad, but I take what I can get. Image quality is off course better on ISO higher than 1600. That is to be expected so no surprise there. On lower ISO there isn't much of a difference.

Anyway I hope to get those tilt/shift lenses working again along with other relic lenses and the adapter (even though it seem to be quite flimsy) seem like a good solution. For telephoto work there is nothing that can match my Olympuses, but who knows what the future might bring? Adding a few pictures from the two last days as the weather decided turn tropic (+13 degrees celsius). The last one is a pitfall dug by the hunters who lived where I live a in ancient times. This is even today one of the best spots to wait for moose and roe deer while hunting, so I guess some things change slowly still. I am going to read this thread to make the most out of my new camera. Wishing you all a happy new year!

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1090 on: January 02, 2020, 14:55:25 »
That's the first time I have heard the FTZ adapter being called "flimsy" ...

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #1091 on: January 02, 2020, 16:06:44 »
Maybe that reflects my inability to use a non native language. It appear flimsy compared to a Novoflex adapter made of metal, but it actually is better because of the tripod plate thread in it. The Novoflex f to m4/3 adapter makes the whole rig front heavy. The FTZ made the rig perfectly balanced.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #1092 on: January 02, 2020, 19:22:09 »
Happy New Year, Børge.  The iridescent clouds shot is amazing!  Also, thank you for sharing an interesting story of the pitfall.  It is nice to live close to something that tells ancient stories of the place.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #1093 on: January 02, 2020, 20:25:25 »
Thank you Akira! I have now read thru the whole thread and I am slightly more confused now than I was before ;D I guess things will fall into place as I learn the pitfalls of this camera.

Netr

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1094 on: January 02, 2020, 20:36:25 »
>I guess things will fall into place as I learn the pitfalls of this camera.

There is nothing wrong with your ability to use a non-native language if you can make a joke like that.  Good luck.