Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 316222 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #1035 on: December 13, 2019, 01:36:30 »
I don't quite understand Birna's objections, maybe a misunderstanding. Any FTZ/TC adaptor would have an overall length and optical design to ensure the camera and lens focus correctly, in exactly the same way the design of F-mount TCs work with F-mount telephotos and cameras. The overall length would probably be greater than the standard FTZ (all other TCs have a positive length), it's not simply a case of stuffing some TC optics inside the current FTZ ...

I'm not sure whether long lenses (with or without the TC) would be benefited by the short flange back of the Z system.  That said, to avoid piggy-backing F-lens+TC+FTZ+Z body, an F-mount to Z-mount TC in one piece could make sense.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #1036 on: December 13, 2019, 01:56:10 »
I'm not sure whether long lenses (with or without the TC) would be benefited by the short flange back of the Z system

Maybe not, but the rear element of the TC-14III and TC-17 are about as far back as possible. Without the requirement to clear the reflex mirror, it seems likely the designer would place the rear elements closer to the sensor.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #1037 on: December 13, 2019, 03:19:20 »
Maybe not, but the rear element of the TC-14III and TC-17 are about as far back as possible. Without the requirement to clear the reflex mirror, it seems likely the designer would place the rear elements closer to the sensor.

Fujifilm makes a 1.4x TC for 250mm/f4.0 of its medium format mirrorless GF system.  I couldn't find an image of the TC shot from the rear, but it's construction may give use some hint.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1038 on: December 13, 2019, 04:24:34 »
We are talking Z-mount here, where would you find an el-cheapo z-mount teleconverter? And then, an 11mm long teleconverter is simply impossible to find even in F mount...

Ciao from Massimo
There is no any Nikkor Z micro so far. So use F mount thru FTZ. Set any macro (or any other lens you wanna use for macro), to intermediate position to compensate for the longer body of TC.  Turn AF off. That's all.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #1039 on: December 13, 2019, 09:37:07 »
Luc, Eddie and Paco, thank you for the quick replies.
Wonder what Nikon is measuring  :o

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #1040 on: December 13, 2019, 09:41:33 »

The height of FTZ (bottom to  white dot on top) is (measured again) 80mm...

Krille

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1041 on: December 13, 2019, 09:55:46 »
Has anyone tested the: AF-S 20/1,8 G, Nikkor 35 1.4, Voightländer 90mm f3,5 SL II and Zeiss 35/2 on either Z6 or Z7?
Sorry if it is menthioned someware in the thread, but read it a few times and not found anything!
Krister

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #1042 on: December 13, 2019, 10:03:07 »
With www.camerasize.com you can compare camera+lens combinations (though not with "old" Nikkors)

Like Z6 (with FTZ) vs Df

http://j.mp/2PDs4Jr

Nice visual comparison, I spotted an error in the weights: the FTZ (135 g) is not accounted for on Z6 side
Comparing with native Z 50mm/1.8 S (naturally no FTZ) the DF is still the winner in diminutive size, although helped in winning by the protrusion of Z6's EVF.

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #1043 on: December 13, 2019, 10:51:24 »
Has anyone tested the: AF-S 20/1,8 G, Nikkor 35 1.4, Voightländer 90mm f3,5 SL II and Zeiss 35/2 on either Z6 or Z7?
Sorry if it is menthioned someware in the thread, but read it a few times and not found anything!
Krister

Not an owner of the Zeiss, but the others have been used on my Z6. No issue at all.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #1044 on: December 13, 2019, 10:56:24 »
It's not easy to measure the depth of the FTZ adapter, the weather sealing between Z body and FTZ gets in the way...
With a digital caliper, I measured between 31.30 and 31.90 mm. [I did not push the caliper blades to avoid ruining the sealing]. If you average it out and subtract the approximate 1.20 mm of the weather sealing you get 31.60-1.20 = 30.40 mm, very nearly the nominal 30.50 mm that will bring the FTZ lensmount 46.50 mm away from the sensor (Z lens register is 16 mm).

the 0.10 mm difference is to be tolerated, I wasn't looking for absolute precision.

As for the height of the FTZ adapter, my measuring says 80.20 mm, a little more if you account for the white dot
The width of the FTZ adapter is 70.00 mm

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #1045 on: December 13, 2019, 10:57:59 »
I'll be glad to report on Voigtländer 90mm f3.5 SL II and Nikkor 35/1.4 AiS as soon as proper testiing is done.

Ciao from Massimo

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #1046 on: December 13, 2019, 11:13:21 »
It's not easy to measure the depth of the FTZ adapter, the weather sealing between Z body and FTZ gets in the way...
With a digital caliper, I measured between 31.30 and 31.90 mm. [I did not push the caliper blades to avoid ruining the sealing]. If you average it out and subtract the approximate 1.20 mm of the weather sealing you get 31.60-1.20 = 30.40 mm, very nearly the nominal 30.50 mm that will bring the FTZ lensmount 46.50 mm away from the sensor (Z lens register is 16 mm).

the 0.10 mm difference is to be tolerated, I wasn't looking for absolute precision.

As for the height of the FTZ adapter, my measuring says 80.20 mm, a little more if you account for the white dot
The width of the FTZ adapter is 70.00 mm

Ciao from Massimo
OK, so the hight is measured from the tripod foot?

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #1047 on: December 13, 2019, 11:22:57 »
OK, so the hight is measured from the tripod foot?

Yes, from the tripod foot

Ciao from Massimo

Krille

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1048 on: December 13, 2019, 12:33:59 »
Not an owner of the Zeiss, but the others have been used on my Z6. No issue at all.

Thanks for the answer

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1049 on: December 13, 2019, 14:49:31 »
The 35mm1.4 ai-s gave better results than ever with z6 for me (I'm pretty bad with. manual focus until 100% magnification in efv...)