Author Topic: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system  (Read 319002 times)

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
Re: Nikon Z6/7 mirrorless system
« Reply #1020 on: December 12, 2019, 17:22:57 »
Nikon hasn't made any extension tubes yet, there are some compatible extension tubes, I've found two brands which are all metal and with full contact pass-through:
Fotodiox (found by others in this thread), they have 15mm and 35mm, they come with a nice, expensive and useless wooden box, 111€ each (on Amazon)
Meike (nobody mentioned these yet), they have 11mm and 18mm, short lengths are more desirable than long ones, 35€ for the couple (on Ebay), other sellers offer them at double that (35€ each)

The Meike tubes are cheaper than a single Nikon Z bayonet, maybe a good starting point for experimenting in DIY adapters for exotic lenses. Bought one kit, it's under way, I'll report on the quality when they arrive.

Including photo.

Ciao fom Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #1021 on: December 12, 2019, 18:04:32 »
If one has to let one body go in exchange for a Z6, should it be D800 or Df, can't decide?
I use the D500 and the D800 for sports, primarily the D500, but I need two bodies, in order to avoid lens change.
I think that all my Nikon 1 will have to go, not used very much, and the Z6 will do even better video than my V2

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1022 on: December 12, 2019, 19:18:15 »
Just find 2 cheapo but contacted 3-party 1.4 and 2X teleextenders of any manufacturers, remove the glass and you have what are you looking for.  For $10-15 all together they will work absolutely satisfactory. Good luck!   LZ

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #1023 on: December 12, 2019, 20:00:21 »
Just find 2 cheapo but contacted 3-party 1.4 and 2X teleextenders of any manufacturers, remove the glass and you have what are you looking for.  For $10-15 all together they will work absolutely satisfactory. Good luck!   LZ

We are talking Z-mount here, where would you find an el-cheapo z-mount teleconverter? And then, an 11mm long teleconverter is simply impossible to find even in F mount...

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #1024 on: December 12, 2019, 20:32:07 »
Speaking of tele-converters, I wonder if Nikon (or anyone) will make an integrated TC/FTZ adaptor - something like an FTZ with built-in 1.4x TC. Like native Z lenses it would allow for elements much closer to the sensor so could give better performance, and it would remove the extra interface between the FTZ and TC which may not be perfectly aligned or parallel. It would be useful for those who want to use their big F-mount telephotos on Z cameras and need a little extra reach.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #1025 on: December 12, 2019, 20:37:06 »
If one has to let one body go in exchange for a Z6, should it be D800 or Df, can't decide?
I use the D500 and the D800 for sports, primarily the D500, but I need two bodies, in order to avoid lens change.
I think that all my Nikon 1 will have to go, not used very much, and the Z6 will do even better video than my V2

The way you word it i would let go of the Df, and the 1 cameras. The Z6 is very different from DSLR more like a matured 1 V1 ;).

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #1026 on: December 12, 2019, 20:41:08 »

Very hard decision...
The Df will still have a high price years from now, it might even increase its value. If considerations were merely economical, I would keep the Df. But we are talking about taking photos here!

Z6 is 24MP (ISO 51200 and above), Df is 16 MP (ISO 12800 and above),  D500 is 21 MP (ISO 51200 and above),  D800 is 36 MP (ISO 6400 and above).

I  have to do more testing of my MF lenses before making any recommendation.

If Z6 is up to the task (MF lenses), then probably I would sell the Df (becoming a duplicate of the Z6), and you have the high-pixel count covered by the D800.

Still a tough decision.

Ciao from Massimo

Nikfuson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1027 on: December 12, 2019, 21:11:45 »
Speaking of tele-converters, I wonder if Nikon (or anyone) will make an integrated TC/FTZ adaptor - something like an FTZ with built-in 1.4x TC. Like native Z lenses it would allow for elements much closer to the sensor so could give better performance, and it would remove the extra interface between the FTZ and TC which may not be perfectly aligned or parallel. It would be useful for those who want to use their big F-mount telephotos on Z cameras and need a little extra reach.

That’s an absolutely brill idea Roland! Maybe a speedbooster for the aps-c Zetters while they’re at it.

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
« Reply #1028 on: December 12, 2019, 21:30:34 »

If you go back to reply #523 in this thread (around page 21 in my system), the same concept was illustrated by Eddie Draaisma, and this led to a little quarrel with Birna.

I tend to agree with you and Eddie that it's a good idea.

Ciao from Massimo

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #1029 on: December 12, 2019, 21:42:31 »
oops didn't read Massimo's post...

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #1030 on: December 12, 2019, 22:59:37 »
Just a silly question, what is the length of the FTZ adapter?
According to Nikon it is 80mm long, but the difference in flangers focal distance is only 30,5mm :o
I just want to know how large the Z6 will be with old Nikkors.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #1031 on: December 12, 2019, 23:03:19 »
According to Nikon it is 80mm long, but the difference in flangers focal distance is only 30,5mm :o

It is (measured!) approx. 30,5mm...

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #1032 on: December 12, 2019, 23:06:00 »
I have no measure at hand but it is very close in size as 20mm+12mm extension tubes together... so very close to 30.5, definitely not 80mm

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #1033 on: December 12, 2019, 23:14:35 »
If you go back to reply #523 in this thread (around page 21 in my system), the same concept was illustrated by Eddie Draaisma, and this led to a little quarrel with Birna.

I tend to agree with you and Eddie that it's a good idea.
I don't quite understand Birna's objections, maybe a misunderstanding. Any FTZ/TC adaptor would have an overall length and optical design to ensure the camera and lens focus correctly, in exactly the same way the design of F-mount TCs work with F-mount telephotos and cameras. The overall length would probably be greater than the standard FTZ (all other TCs have a positive length), it's not simply a case of stuffing some TC optics inside the current FTZ ...

Luc

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Flickr
« Reply #1034 on: December 12, 2019, 23:56:06 »
With www.camerasize.com you can compare camera+lens combinations (though not with "old" Nikkors)

Like Z6 (with FTZ) vs Df

http://j.mp/2PDs4Jr