Author Topic: The new Nikon mirrorless system  (Read 121117 times)

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
Re: The new Nikon mirrorless system
« Reply #600 on: October 22, 2018, 21:09:36 »
On the EVF:
It is the best I’ve tried out. Sony, Fujifilm, Leica...Nikon’s above them all.

The Z7 EVF shines in the natural colour look, some people even call it "OVF-like". But compared to the Sony A7RIII EVF it is much more prone to flicker in artificial lighting conditions, and is jerky, lags in 1:1 magnified mode (the Sony is fluid in 1:1). For manual focussing in 1:1 magnified mode, especially with the Sony auto-magnify option that the Z7 doesn't have, the A7RIII has imho the better EVF.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #601 on: October 22, 2018, 22:44:11 »
I guess silent shooting at a theatrical performance or in other silent low light areas is a good way to utilize the Z6. I still fo not like the ergonomics

That´s the reason I have one on order. Still not sure about how the electronic but not global shutter will affect the moves of the dancers -my primary goal- or banding with stage lights. Usually they are not led but a new law is lurking in the near future, I´m afraid, to change them all.

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
« Reply #602 on: October 23, 2018, 05:33:39 »
Personally I'm mainly interested in the optical performance of the new lenses. The 35mm being my primary lens - the new 35mm f/1.8 Z line looks very promising.
But I was wondering how the decision was made to start writing the lens type around the front element. I've had a Fuji X system for a few years where this is also done. And many other manufacturers do it. I used to do long exposures with ND filters on my Fuji 14mm and 16mm where the writing was visible on the final photo. I know that this can easily be corrected with a permanent marker pen.
My current Nikon lens lineup don't have any writing around the front element which I really appreciate.
Any thoughts on why Nikon R&D seems not to talk to each other?
Daniel Diggelmann

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #603 on: October 23, 2018, 09:12:36 »
But I was wondering how the decision was made to start writing the lens type around the front element. I've had a Fuji X system for a few years where this is also done. And many other manufacturers do it. I used to do long exposures with ND filters on my Fuji 14mm and 16mm where the writing was visible on the final photo. I know that this can easily be corrected with a permanent marker pen.
My current Nikon lens lineup don't have any writing around the front element which I really appreciate.
Any thoughts on why Nikon R&D seems not to talk to each other?

Good point, Daniel.

I guess that it is easier and simpler to print or engrave the lens names on the retaining part of the front element which is flat.  Also, there may be some promotional reasons, because the camera is often seen and pictured from the front.

Interestingly, or rather strangely in this respect, the industrial APO Nikkors, which were often used for the reproduction, have their names and serial numbers on the front, engraved and painted in white!  My 240mm/f9.0 APO Nikkor bought in mint condition has the numbers and names are painted in black presumably by the originaly purchaser.  I believe that it is to avoid unwanted reflection.

Nevertheless, I was a bit surprised that the letters reflected by the ND filter can be visible in the final images.  Perhaps the DOF of the lenses of such short focal lengths would have contributed for the problem?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #604 on: October 23, 2018, 22:17:37 »
Nikon did change the position of the engraving for some lenses to reduce the possibility of it showing in reflective subjects.

In early 55/3.5 micro lenses the name is engraved on a ring inside the filter. The very first versions with the preset aperture ring and 1:1 has the engraving just inside the filter ring where it is easily visible. Due to the short working distance of this lens, the engraving could be visible when photographing reflective subjects. In the following versions the engraving is recessed further back, about half way between the filter ring and front element, where it could be better shaded and less visible. Starting with the K/New Nikkor version, the engraving is moved to the side of the barrel outside the filter ring which largely eliminates the possibility of reflections showing in the picture. Similarly, with the 105/4 bellows, early lenses have the engraving inside the filter facing forward, which were later moved to the side of the barrel.

Steering back to topic, none of the current Z lenses are extremely wide or close focusing, so the front facing lettering is unlikely to to be reflected in the picture.  I will assume any Z macro lenses won't have writing at the front ...

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #605 on: October 26, 2018, 17:43:19 »
At last, today I got the long awaited message from Nikon UK: your pre-ordered Z7 kit is allocated and will be sent ASAP. I think I'll get the basic Z7/24-70/FTZ kit now. Other Z items, amongst these the Z6, hopefully will follow soon. The super-Noct 58/0.95 is unlikely to materialise this year, so have to hope for the early spring 2019 perhaps. That combo would  be great for the NG Scotland gathering (May '19?).

According to my contact with Nikon Nordic, allocations to the Scandinavian region have been meagre and demand outstrips available cameras by an order of magnitude (at least). The Sendai factory is running flat out and probably will not be able to deal with the backlog orders for some time yet.

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #606 on: October 27, 2018, 03:18:33 »
It appears that Nikon changed the regional allocation for the Z7 as compared to the D850.
Here in the US the Z7 basic kit is in stock at all big distributors like B&H, Adorama or Amazon!
Nevertheless the D850 still carries a leadtime of typically 2-4 weeks...
Another Austrian Terminator in California

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #607 on: October 27, 2018, 04:04:24 »
Maybe the Z7 is easier to build, so the production rate is higher?

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #608 on: October 27, 2018, 04:13:14 »
Not sure how many D850 are assembled? For the Z7 I recall a rate of 20'000 / month with a much higher automization percentage than the D850.
Another Austrian Terminator in California

Nikfuson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #609 on: October 27, 2018, 11:11:47 »
Didn’t Nikon slow down production of 850 in favour of the Z’ers?

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #610 on: October 27, 2018, 14:18:52 »
It appears that Nikon changed the regional allocation for the Z7 as compared to the D850.
Here in the US the Z7 basic kit is in stock at all big distributors like B&H, Adorama or Amazon!

I don't it's a distribution issue but simply not that much demand for the Z7 as it is now. There are only two native lenses available as of now, and it'll take a couple of years before you can buy a reasonably all-around kit without using adapter. I think the demand will pick up at that point.

Nevertheless the D850 still carries a leadtime of typically 2-4 weeks...

If you look up on Nikon USA's site

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/dslr-cameras/1585/d850.html#Product-WhereToBuy

ten stores currently list the D850 "in stock".

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #611 on: October 27, 2018, 14:35:08 »
D850 is in stock at last in my country. It was listed as 'on back order' until recently.

My guess is that Nikon builds up stock of the Z6 these days. Clearly the demand of their cameras still outstrip production. Sendai is but a quite small industrial plant. I was actually amazed how small the facility was when I visited it.

My Nikon contact told me they could sell many times more cameras than currently allotted to the Scandinavian market.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #612 on: October 30, 2018, 06:50:27 »
A question on non-CPU lenses?    There is sketchy info on the Net (and Z7 pdf Manuals) concerning the use and EXIf data.  It appears that the value entered does tell IBIS(VR) the focal length but some are saying the EXIF does not show the values input to the menu.  Having used many Ai,Ais lenses on the DF and others, that does not make since.  I also use many adapted lenses on Sony a7rii and a7iii.  When using dumb adapters there is no EXIF but using Techart pro I get the exif set up on the Techart Pro App. and aperture set on the camera (f2 for Techart0.  I am primarily interested in Nikon non-CPU and Leica M mount lenses.
Can anyone clarify  :)
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #613 on: October 30, 2018, 07:22:37 »
Tom we will have to wait till Birna picks up her Z to get the definitive answer.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #614 on: October 30, 2018, 08:42:42 »
Birna might have difficulty to find a non-CPU'ed lens...

Lenses without CPU are marked as "0.0 mm f/0.0", but the EXIF property for focal length is properly filled with the focal length from the non-CPU lens data. Next to that, the exposure data always shows the maximum aperture of the (non-CPU) lens also from the non-CPU lens data.