Author Topic: The new Nikon mirrorless system  (Read 120320 times)

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
Re: The new Nikon mirrorless system
« Reply #630 on: November 03, 2018, 00:20:57 »
From the trail from the blue light it looks like shutter stayed open for an extended time. It is very odd that the printer wifi would affect how long shutter stayed open. Is there an IR connection?

Jack, no IR connection. Why does the trail suggest extended time when the camera was stationary?

I am downstairs but will check the exif later to see if the shutter stayed open inordinately long and will modify this post accordingly. I seem to remember that the blurry photos had an iso of 200 which demands to some degree slower shutter speed.

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
« Reply #631 on: November 03, 2018, 00:27:14 »
According to the exif data of the first image, the shutter speed was 2.5sec. at ISO200.

I would suspect that Tom moved the camera thinking that the exposure had been completed while the shutter was still open.

The shutter speed of the second image is as long as 6sec., again, according to the remaining exif data, which would well explain why the image is blurry and overexposed.

Hi Akira, being a luddite of sorts, I don't know how to access the exif. Our messages crossed while I was writing Jack and my answer to him inadvertently supports your post. Question I have: why did the shutter speed fluctuate so dramatically? I did have it in silent mode which can be a cause of a prolonged depression of the shutter because I simply don't know any better!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #632 on: November 03, 2018, 00:35:58 »
Hi Akira, being a luddite of sorts, I don't know how to access the exif. Our messages crossed while I was writing Jack and my answer to him inadvertently supports your post. Question I have: why did the shutter speed fluctuate so dramatically? I did have it in silent mode which can be a cause of a prolonged depression of the shutter because I simply don't know any better!

Tom, your room doesn't appear to be of a Luddite to me.  :D

Anyway, I downloaded the images you post by clicking the file names shown under respective pictures, and checked out their properties.  You should have the original files, so you can check out the exif directly from them.  For some reason, the exif data for the first and the second images were still there.

I'm afraid I'm not sure what caused the shutter speed fluctuation.  By "silent mode", you mean the shutter was set to the full electronic?  If so, I would suspect it would be the firmware glitch, which should be addressed by the next firmware update.

Hope you will be able to enjoy your new combo without problem!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
« Reply #633 on: November 03, 2018, 00:46:18 »
Akira, knowing you know about such things, that is a condenser mike, which is somewhat old school if not actually luddite-ish. I think Frank's suggestion of airplane mode seems a good one. I don't use wifi on my camera so regarding that technology, "get thee behind me Satan!"

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #634 on: November 03, 2018, 00:55:04 »
Akira, knowing you know about such things, that is a condenser mike, which is somewhat old school if not actually luddite-ish. I think Frank's suggestion of airplane mode seems a good one. I don't use wifi on my camera so regarding that technology, "get thee behind me Satan!"

Tom, as you would know, the condenser mikes, even the vintage ones, are still going strong in the most modernized recording studios!

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
« Reply #635 on: November 03, 2018, 01:30:23 »
Akira, you are right on the money. Love my condenser mikes.  8)

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #636 on: November 03, 2018, 18:14:09 »
I have a hard time believing interference had anything to do with the change in shutter speed. The camera was set to Aperture Priority. My guess is that for whatever reason the camera choose a long exposure based off the black printer for images 1 & 2. For image 3 the camera decided on shorter shutter speed based on the lighter areas of the scene above the printer.

I don't know how the Z cameras make metering decision's, but the older Nikon DSLR's can make pretty drastic metering changes within the same scene solely based on where the focus point is located, I'm speaking to matrix metering mode.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #637 on: November 03, 2018, 19:30:13 »
yes,  the area around the focus area is weighted heighly
Erik Lund

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
« Reply #638 on: November 03, 2018, 20:31:15 »
I have a hard time believing interference had anything to do with the change in shutter speed. The camera was set to Aperture Priority. My guess is that for whatever reason the camera choose a long exposure based off the black printer for images 1 & 2. For image 3 the camera decided on shorter shutter speed based on the lighter areas of the scene above the printer.

I don't know how the Z cameras make metering decision's, but the older Nikon DSLR's can make pretty drastic metering changes within the same scene solely based on where the focus point is located, I'm speaking to matrix metering mode.

The only things I can verify are that there was interference from the printer, that each picture I took was focused on the same place and that once the interference disappeared, the camera could then take a "normal" picture.

My question is, did the interference block the ability of the camera to acquire focus and thereby cause confusion creating the erratic conditions including the lengthening shutter speeds? I will say the second picture was probably caused by my thinking the picture was finished being taken when it wasn't, causing me to move the camera prematurely. Silent mode was something I was trying for the first time that day and it's behavior initially flummoxed me.

Sorry for my inarticulate responses, but I simply do not understand the technical aspects of these cameras as well as some of the rest of you, which results in a lack of clarity.  :-\

Thanks for commenting.

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #639 on: November 03, 2018, 21:14:54 »
The only things I can verify are that there was interference from the printer, that each picture I took was focused on the same place and that once the interference disappeared, the camera could then take a "normal" picture.

My question is, did the interference block the ability of the camera to acquire focus and thereby cause confusion creating the erratic conditions including the lengthening shutter speeds? I will say the second picture was probably caused by my thinking the picture was finished being taken when it wasn't, causing me to move the camera prematurely. Silent mode was something I was trying for the first time that day and it's behavior initially flummoxed me.

Sorry for my inarticulate responses, but I simply do not understand the technical aspects of these cameras as well as some of the rest of you, which results in a lack of clarity.  :-\

Thanks for commenting.

It seems putting the camera on a tripod with the same scene and turning your printer wifi settings back on for some tests could quickly sort out whether it played a role or not. I'd be very surprised if it in fact had any influence.

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
« Reply #640 on: November 03, 2018, 23:55:43 »
It seems putting the camera on a tripod with the same scene and turning your printer wifi settings back on for some tests could quickly sort out whether it played a role or not. I'd be very surprised if it in fact had any influence.

I can't imagine that creating the wifi interference between my camera and the printer a second time would be good for the Z7 (or the printer for that matter). When it happened the first time, it upset me because I thought the camera was damaged. I don't care enough to further explore and clarify the whys and wherefores of this electronic dissonant moment. My curiosity is satisfied.

Yikes!!

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #641 on: November 04, 2018, 00:49:54 »
Ok.

It just seems to me that wifi interference making a camera change its exposure is a rather serious claim. A claim that unless it is reproduced in a more controlled environment which removes the possibility of operator error, I don't think should be taken to seriously.

Tom Hook

• Tom
  • NG Member
« Reply #642 on: November 04, 2018, 02:51:39 »
Ok.

It just seems to me that wifi interference making a camera change its exposure is a rather serious claim. A claim that unless it is reproduced in a more controlled environment which removes the possibility of operator error, I don't think should be taken to seriously.

Charlie,

I've resolved the issue to my satisfaction. That there exists the possibility of operator error, I will gladly stipulate. That my conclusions cannot be taken seriously unless more rigorous investigation is done, I will also stipulate. If need be, let's agree to disagree on this, shall we?

Cheers,

Tom

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #643 on: November 04, 2018, 11:21:00 »
Akira, you are right on the money. Love my condenser mikes.  8)

My preferred one is still the (condenser) Neumann U87 Ai  :)
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #644 on: November 04, 2018, 13:06:00 »
My preferred one is still the (condenser) Neumann U87 Ai  :)

Christian, are you recording engineer?

(Sorry to keep straying!)