Author Topic: The new Nikon mirrorless system  (Read 121114 times)

rolubich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: The new Nikon mirrorless system
« Reply #225 on: August 26, 2018, 11:24:00 »
Yes, but I'm assuming with non-CPU Nikkors, the FTZ adapter holds the aperture open until the picture is taken, then releases the aperture tab so the lens stops down ... the Z cameras need to wait for this to happen so they can meter when stopped down before making the exposure. This could mean there is a very slight delay in taking the picture when non-CPU lenses are used. Other mirrorless systems lack any sort of aperture linkage with F-mount lenses, so the lens is already stopped down before the picture is taken and the exposure can be taken immediately.

This should mean that is not possible to lock the exposure, recompose and than shot. I think is more pratical to let the camera meter at the actual selected aperture as Sony does.

Do you think there will be the option to choose the way the camera meter, wide open (with the supposed lag and no E-lock) or stopped down?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #226 on: August 26, 2018, 12:03:05 »
As long as there is a stop-down lever present, but no aperture follower, the only way the camera can make a correct exposure is on-the-fly metering when the camera actually stops down the lens for taking a picture. If non-CPU lens data is entered, however, the camera at least can make a quite reliable estimate of the exposure in advance, before actual shooting takes place.

If there is no aperture lever in the lens itself, metering would be simply at the set aperture. Possible the metering options then would be restricted to A, M in this case. Of course, if the mounted lens has no aperture linkage and has a preset aperture ring, like old lenses from '50s or '60s, then there is a high risk of getting the exposure entirely wrong (unless the in-the-fly correction is performed, which only can be done with ISO or shutter speed adjustment).

For myself, I have verified that CPU-modified lenses* work as they should, with the caveat aperture has to be set from the camera side. Thus, good bye to the ergonomically optimal approach of using both hands. That's the price to be paid for "progress".

* of which I have a large number in F mount

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #227 on: August 26, 2018, 13:10:07 »
IMHO the two card slot issue is not an issue, you should always have a back up camera, memory card, flash if needed and lens, for any critical shooting where a re-shoot is not possible.
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #228 on: August 26, 2018, 13:26:24 »
With image stabilization I’m sure it will get some great shots on dark and cloudy days.

yes! I am hoping that I get 48month 0% interest from Fujiya camera :o :o :o

i want the Z7 but I can barely afford the Z6  ::)

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #229 on: August 26, 2018, 15:54:40 »
As long as there is a stop-down lever present, but no aperture follower, the only way the camera can make a correct exposure is on-the-fly metering when the camera actually stops down the lens for taking a picture. If non-CPU lens data is entered, however, the camera at least can make a quite reliable estimate of the exposure in advance, before actual shooting takes place.

If there is no aperture lever in the lens itself, metering would be simply at the set aperture. Possible the metering options then would be restricted to A, M in this case. Of course, if the mounted lens has no aperture linkage and has a preset aperture ring, like old lenses from '50s or '60s, then there is a high risk of getting the exposure entirely wrong (unless the in-the-fly correction is performed, which only can be done with ISO or shutter speed adjustment).

For myself, I have verified that CPU-modified lenses* work as they should, with the caveat aperture has to be set from the camera side. Thus, good bye to the ergonomically optimal approach of using both hands. That's the price to be paid for "progress".

* of which I have a large number in F mount
I have just tried my FT1 with a non CPU Ais lens, of course I can not input lens date on the V1, but if the function on the FTZ is comparable it is very ackward to use those lenses. The V1 one stops down the lens, and try to brighten the view finder, so you get a somewhat ok image to look at, but in dim lighting it may not work well. I hope you will be able to test this when you get your samples, and prove me wrong. Otherwise the Df has to last very long.

chambeshi

« Reply #230 on: August 26, 2018, 16:02:11 »

Following Ross harvey's review I posted yesterday, found Two more initial assessments of the Nikon Z7:

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/a-few-more-thoughts-on.html

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/25/new-era-for-nikon-nikon-z7-camera-hands-on-report.aspx/#more-125769

to help access - links to the 2 official PDFs on Nikon Z

https://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/e/Q5NM96RZZo-RRZZFeeMiveET0gVQ--AxJI7g-xcLVNVcp7mdwZQz5w==/Misc/Z7_Z6_Brochure.pdf

https://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/e/Q5NM96RZZo-RRZZFeeMiveET0gVQ--AxJI7g-xcLVNVcp7mdwZQz5w==/Misc/Z_Engineer_Interview_Brochure.pdf

>>>
Clearly, we will need careful review from a non-marketing connected source in order to get a better handle on just how the Z's check out. I have no idea how they would explain the shot count differences with the battery, it's not what I would term a minor discrepancy shot count. So, what other "real world" experiences await early adopters? That's rhetorical, but you get the idea.  ;)

one of these USA Nikon reps seem to be well informed by the optical engineers:  https://www.adorama.com/g/nikon-mirrorless?utm_source=rflaid63773

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #231 on: August 26, 2018, 16:53:21 »
If one really wants to make use of the reduced weight and compactness of this mirrorless it would be firsthand the best to take a Z Camera an FTZ and a pancake type Nikkor-F lens.
Wolfgang Rehm

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #232 on: August 26, 2018, 16:58:38 »
I have just tried my FT1 with a non CPU Ais lens, of course I can not input lens date on the V1, but if the function on the FTZ is comparable it is very ackward to use those lenses. The V1 one stops down the lens, and try to brighten the view finder, so you get a somewhat ok image to look at, but in dim lighting it may not work well. I hope you will be able to test this when you get your samples, and prove me wrong. Otherwise the Df has to last very long.
I'm not sure what you want to do,,, but here is how to cheat Nikon1 with a custom FT1  ;)
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,479.msg3577.html#msg3577
Erik Lund

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #233 on: August 26, 2018, 17:51:10 »
so many people complaining about the 1 XQD slot in my social media feed :o :o :o

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #234 on: August 26, 2018, 18:02:33 »
so many people complaining about the 1 XQD slot in my social media feed :o :o :o

Well, they never loved the Df either... :o
I might decide for a Z7 after all, if I manage to fund it ! I might have a "corporate" shoot for a 100+ portraits in my school (paid mission); so it might be a nice Xmas present for myself  ;D
I'm still hesitating, though, between a D850 and the Z7... But whatever the drawbacks, I feel that the size and lightness of the Zx is more what I'm looking for nowadays. And those lenses quality seems the way to go (with the adapter of course as I won't drop my old lenses that are so much fun to use) !!!  ::)
We'll see what happens in October !
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #235 on: August 26, 2018, 18:14:45 »
If the Z camera had 2 slots, the complaints would be it should have 3 ...

Shot most of my digital epoch (nearly 20 years now) with one-slot cameras and managed to pull off some shots nonetheless.

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #236 on: August 26, 2018, 18:39:39 »
If the Z camera had 2 slots, the complaints would be it should have 3 ...

Shot most of my digital epoch (nearly 20 years now) with one-slot cameras and managed to pull off some shots nonetheless.

I fully agree, from film times to today, many of us were used to manage with what we had (ever tried marriages with an M Leica, sort of three hand sport ?  :D). Today we have a full choice of cameras and lenses, mostly affordable, and with a lot of ease to use and thousands "gimmicks" to be sure you don't miss you grandchild football game...
I can understand the evolution of photography through time and the tendency to always push back the limits we had before, but this frenzy against the Zx is just unbelievable ! Those guys just don't seem to be able to cope with a change of paradigm, as if they were the real old grumpy luddites with new social media tools !

While I can understand those who prefer to wait or are not interested at all, there is a swelling of "hate" (that alas goes for other things too), instead of a having a natural curiosity about the means and the end of this new saga... :(
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #237 on: August 26, 2018, 18:50:24 »
I'm not sure what you want to do,,, but here is how to cheat Nikon1 with a custom FT1  ;)
http://nikongear.net/revival/index.php/topic,479.msg3577.html#msg3577
I have seen this brain surgery, but I just want the same ease of use as on the Df with old Nikkors ;)

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #238 on: August 26, 2018, 19:12:58 »
IMHO the two card slot issue is not an issue, you should always have a back up camera, memory card, flash if needed and lens, for any critical shooting where a re-shoot is not possible.
Not quite the same, unless you're able to take the same shots with both cameras at the same time :P
...I wouldn't be surprised if you have managed that :D
Jørgen Ramskov

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #239 on: August 26, 2018, 20:04:45 »
I can understand the evolution of photography through time and the tendency to always push back the limits we had before, but this frenzy against the Zx is just unbelievable ! Those guys just don't seem to be able to cope with a change of paradigm, as if they were the real old grumpy luddites with new social media tools !

While I can understand those who prefer to wait or are not interested at all, there is a swelling of "hate" (that alas goes for other things too), instead of a having a natural curiosity about the means and the end of this new saga... :(
People have a natural resistance to change while change is the only constant in live, you can either ignore it or embrace it...

Most like the safety and comfort of familiarity though but the learning starts when we venture outside of our comfort zones...

As Steve Jobs used to say; Stay Hungry, Stay Foolish  :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne