Author Topic: The new Nikon mirrorless system  (Read 121085 times)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: The new Nikon mirrorless system
« Reply #210 on: August 25, 2018, 20:38:34 »
Following Ross harvey's review I posted yesterday, found Two more initial assessments of the Nikon Z7:

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/a-few-more-thoughts-on.html

https://nikonrumors.com/2018/08/25/new-era-for-nikon-nikon-z7-camera-hands-on-report.aspx/#more-125769

to help access - links to the 2 official PDFs on Nikon Z

https://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/e/Q5NM96RZZo-RRZZFeeMiveET0gVQ--AxJI7g-xcLVNVcp7mdwZQz5w==/Misc/Z7_Z6_Brochure.pdf

https://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/e/Q5NM96RZZo-RRZZFeeMiveET0gVQ--AxJI7g-xcLVNVcp7mdwZQz5w==/Misc/Z_Engineer_Interview_Brochure.pdf

Clearly, we will need careful review from a non-marketing connected source in order to get a better handle on just how the Z's check out. I have no idea how they would explain the shot count differences with the battery, it's not what I would term a minor discrepancy shot count. So, what other "real world" experiences await early adopters? That's rhetorical, but you get the idea.  ;)

Carl

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #211 on: August 25, 2018, 21:47:01 »
You should need WT-7, I guess?

WT-7 gives more range but these cameras have built in wifi capability to transfer images to PC.

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #212 on: August 26, 2018, 00:22:28 »
WT-7 gives more range but these cameras have built in wifi capability to transfer images to PC.

I wouldn't hold my breath on the (probable) transfer speed of the built in Wifi system.
While they claim AC wifi built in, it's not going to be the higher specced 3x3 mode, which gives decent transfer speed.

The WT-7 may have the 2x2 mode for them to claim the 866Mbps transfer rate.

So using the (camera)Wifi to transfer full RAW images(probably 80+Mb file sizes) will take a while in a mobile situation. If you backup jpgs, it may work quickly.

My personal feelings of the dual card situation is indifference. D800E has dual card slots, I only use the CF!
I had an SD card in there for capturing video for a while, never used it, pulled the SD card for another device, never replaced it.

I'm thinking that it may have been a deliberate choice to allow them an update path for the future. (ie. in the same way they updated the D300 -> D300s) or an upgrade model (possible Z8 or something like that).
Arthur

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #213 on: August 26, 2018, 00:58:35 »
Well, the brochure mentions 433Mbps as the built in wi-fi's max transfer speed (according to IEEE standard) but notes that the actual rates may differ.

Peter Forsell

• NG Member
  • A Cunning Linguist
« Reply #214 on: August 26, 2018, 01:01:28 »
Call me a contrarian, no problem.  8) But the more I read about these new Z-series cameras, the less enthused I am. The initial exhilaration pumped up by the teasers and the hype has completely vaned. At this point I am now 100% certain I will skip this first round. Fine cameras in their own right, no doubt, but not for me. I will have a keen eye for a Z8 or Z1 whatever the high end model will be, probably at the Tokyo olympics?

Netr

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #215 on: August 26, 2018, 01:24:29 »
I agree with Peter.  It is not clear to me that, until the new 58mm f/0.95 lens comes out, there is any image you could take with a Z series camera that you couldn't take with an existing Nikon DSLR.

There's no question that the engineering is superb.

Netr

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #216 on: August 26, 2018, 03:12:59 »
I see that the Nikon Z flange to sensor distance is 16mm but the Nikon 1 distance was 17mm. There may be some scope for adapting something like the 32mm f/1.2 or 70-300mm Nikon 1 lenses.

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #217 on: August 26, 2018, 03:21:19 »
On the FTZ adapter and compatibility with non-CPU lenses, according to Ken Rockwell:

"Although it has no aperture ring feeler, the Z system measures exposure the instant after an old manual-focus lens stops down to its taking aperture the instant before it shoots. This is an even more accurate exposure system because it cancels any inaccuracy in how the diaphragm stops down, which is better than any DSLR."

Sounds promising if true...

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #218 on: August 26, 2018, 04:17:55 »
On the FTZ adapter and compatibility with non-CPU lenses, according to Ken Rockwell:

"Although it has no aperture ring feeler, the Z system measures exposure the instant after an old manual-focus lens stops down to its taking aperture the instant before it shoots. This is an even more accurate exposure system because it cancels any inaccuracy in how the diaphragm stops down, which is better than any DSLR."

Sounds promising if true...

That is true of virtually any mirrorless systems, which is why Nikon 1 was so disappointing.  In addition, with the mirrorless systems, you don't need to worry about the stray light entering from the finder eyepiece to confuse the light meter, which contribute to the accuracy of metering.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #219 on: August 26, 2018, 04:37:21 »
I see that the Nikon Z flange to sensor distance is 16mm but the Nikon 1 distance was 17mm. There may be some scope for adapting something like the 32mm f/1.2 or 70-300mm Nikon 1 lenses.

Image circle for the Nikon 1 lenses is unlikely to cover FF sensor unless at very close range. As sad as it is true, the ultimate potential of the Z line is going to be achieved with lenses designed specifically for it.

That said the short distance from flange to sensor gives new life to a wide variety of lenses with a more “classic” or idiosyncratic rendering like the “O” Nikkor, heligons and other scavenged lenses, at least for the very slim segment of the world which pays any attention to the archaic and obsolete.

Can’t wait for our local experts here to get hands on one and see where the boundaries and opportunities are.

Netr

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #220 on: August 26, 2018, 05:02:46 »
>Image circle for the Nikon 1 lenses is unlikely to cover FF sensor unless at very close range.

Of course. But I recall comments that the lenses appeared capable of covering more than just the Nikon 1 sensor. There may be scope cropping into a DX sized image, for example.  On the Z7, that would still be plenty of pixels, and one more option for the photographer.

And for the Heligons and whatever, rather more usable options then we presently get from the F mount's 46.5 mm flange distance.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #221 on: August 26, 2018, 06:19:28 »
time to use this thing on the Z :o :o :o

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #222 on: August 26, 2018, 08:33:41 »
time to use this thing on the Z :o :o :o

With image stabilization I’m sure it will get some great shots on dark and cloudy days.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #223 on: August 26, 2018, 09:58:49 »
The FTZ adapter has no AI- aperture coupling lever (and no aperture indexing itself of course), but so did the FT1 for the Nikon 1 system. The FT1 has a tiny mechanical contact that is activated (and indicating) when the lens is set to minimum aperture. According to the pictures this is the same feature wih the FTZ.
Wolfgang Rehm

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #224 on: August 26, 2018, 10:44:33 »
That is true of virtually any mirror less systems[...]
Yes, but I'm assuming with non-CPU Nikkors, the FTZ adapter holds the aperture open until the picture is taken, then releases the aperture tab so the lens stops down ... the Z cameras need to wait for this to happen so they can meter when stopped down before making the exposure. This could mean there is a very slight delay in taking the picture when non-CPU lenses are used. Other mirrorless systems lack any sort of aperture linkage with F-mount lenses, so the lens is already stopped down before the picture is taken and the exposure can be taken immediately.